VideoHelp Forum


Try DVDFab Video Downloader and rip Netflix video! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Thread

Threaded View

  1. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Italy
    Search Comp PM
    Good evening to everyone, I need a take. A relative of mine has to do a bunch of S-VHS (PAL) tapes captures, to then, both burn to a dvd with Encore and produce avc/hevc files to store on a hdd. He was given a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle for the job.
    On the control panel, though, the only output options appearing for standard def were either 625i50 or 625p50, but no 625p25 (of course deinterlaced by the card). I thought 50p capture from a 50i source wouldn't be optimal, so I choose 50i output. At this point I'm asking you, more experts, what to do, if to work with interlaced footage, choose 50p, or perhaps upscale the output to 720p25. I would like to avoid deinterlacing footage in post by the way, as well as dealing with combing artifacts.
    Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can't use 720p on a DVD. You should keep it interlaced (50i) for the DVD, the exact process depends on what software you're planning to use for it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Italy
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oln View Post
    You can't use 720p on a DVD. You should keep it interlaced (50i) for the DVD, the exact process depends on what software you're planning to use for it.
    The point is may getting interlaved footage give me issues? Will the dvd be combing artifact-free? And especially the h.264/h.265 files. This because I've seen interlaced footage either play smoothlly on pc or have terrible artifacts, even after setting the correct field order.
    I'll be sending Premiere Pro CS6' timeline to Encore. Then the encoding of mp4 files will happen in Media Encoder CC2020.
    Quote Quote  
  4. DVD is natively interlaced. You will have no problems with it unless you screw something up. And you cannot put h.264 or h.264 video on a movie DVD, only MPEG 2. The MP4 contains is not supported either.

    The best procedure is to capture 25i (50i is just the new name for 25i) with a lossless codec then edit/filter/encode to MPEG 2 for DVD. Author with your choice of DVD authoring program.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Italy
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    DVD is natively interlaced. You will have no problems with it unless you screw something up. And you cannot put h.264 or h.264 video on a movie DVD, only MPEG 2. The MP4 contains is not supported either.

    The best procedure is to capture 25i (50i is just the new name for 25i) with a lossless codec then edit/filter/encode to MPEG 2 for DVD. Author with your choice of DVD authoring program.
    I thought DVD could be progressive too. By the way mp4 files have nothing to do with dvd, they would be stored on a hdd. About those, if I choose the correct order, I won't get any artifacts, right?
    By the way I'm recording tapes in huffyuv + pcm
    Last edited by Tek03; 6th Nov 2020 at 12:28. Reason: typing mistake
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Tek03 View Post
    I thought DVD could be progressive too.
    DVD has its roots in the days of interlaced analog TV. It fully supports interlaced video.

    Originally Posted by Tek03 View Post
    By the way mp4 files have nothing to do with dvd, they would be stored on a hdd. About those, if I choose the correct order, I won't get any artifacts, right?
    If you encoder interlaced with the correct field order you will not see comb artifacts when you watch the DVDs on a TV. Some players may not be set up correctly to play interlaced h.264 correctly. If you're sending video to others it would be best to convert those to progressive.

    Originally Posted by Tek03 View Post
    By the way I'm recording tapes in huffyuv + pcm
    Perfect.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Italy
    Search Comp PM
    All right then, I'll work with 50i for the DVDs and then for the MP4s, I'll just export them in progressive and media encoder will hopefully deinterlace them properly.
    Thank you all for the answers.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search PM
    @Tek03, DVD CAN be progressive, but it should only be set that way if the original source was that way. In your instance, you have a (S)VHS source, which is ALWAYS interlaced (although it could be from a telecined film, and using IVTC would be the only proper way to make that progressive again). Jagabo has you on the right path.


    Scott
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads