VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'm looking to buy a new computer for video editing and I was wondering if anyone had any specific recommendations. I know I want to be able to capture from analog tapes and it would be nice to have the ability to do a voiceover while playing a video game or some other clip. The ability to show myself on camera in the corner while something else takes up the rest of the screen like on twitch would be a nice bonus too. I'll want an easy way to rip video from a dvd or blu ray. So a bluray burner is definitely needed.

I'm sure most computers today can handle that no problem but I wonder if anyone has any tips. I have a service plan with a computer store so I can have something custom assembled if I want. Or I can buy a desktop meant for gaming at a store.

I've heard good things about the elgato capture card. I need something that can do composite with stereo audio, s-video and firewire for direct digital transfer of a handful of MiniDV tapes. Uncompressed or lossless video capture is a must and it would be nice if such a feature was built into the video editing software. As opposed to capturing a bunch of files in one program, then loading them into the timeline.

I know Adobe has a lot of advanced features but I find their software hard to figure out. So something that can do video effects and transitions would be better if it doesn't require as much of a learning curve, or has ways of doing graphics like charts, graphs, quote bubbles and highlighting efficiently. (I have worked with Sony Vegas way back in version 4 and liked that)

In fact, I know vegas version 4 is way outdated, are newer versions backward compatible if I still wanted to edit files that were originally made years ago? Built in optimization for youtube is important too.

These days, everyone cool seems to make an interesting youtube thumbnail. Is there a software besides photoshop that can do that quickly, even if it's has less customization.
    If there are videos that cover this, feel free to share them.
    If there are sources on how to make good backdrops or even what makes a good desk, I'll watch those too.

Is there a certain video camera youtubers seem to really like? Cell phones work pretty well everyday but I don't think the manual controls on my samsung s9 give the best precision for something like a static shot of me talking indoors.

Any tips on what to buy or what to avoid, whether it be hard drives, motherboards or drivers. Or software that is least complicated for copying/ripping video, encoding, uploading. I don't want to get stuck for days formatting a file or tedious stuff like having to constantly adjust a bunch of settings that takes me away from editing or shooting.

Conclusion:
    I know that covers a lot of ground and maybe just about any option I pick would work well. But trying to get a video editing computer made in 2003 was a real struggle and had lots of problems for me so I've always been very hesitant about trying again, and worried about any kind of a misstep.
    So I want to be more confident that I'm not making any kind of screw up or mistake. I figured I could double check here and then maybe I'd finally feel comfortable to move forward.

Oh and I have about 1,500 USD that I can commit to this but I feel like I shouldn't need to spend that much. I do feel confident in my playback devices (s-vhs, Hi8 camcorder with stereo output, s-video cables) so it's really about making sure the signal they output winds up on the computer faithfully without frame drops or other issues.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    For a new computer if you want the best for medium price get a 5600x amd ryzen,if you can afford it a 5900x plays game and edits video.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so it's really about making sure the signal they output winds up on the computer faithfully without frame drops or other issues.
    I use my i5-750 (2011) to capture 3 hours of VHS with not one dropped frame using VDub and various capture thingees. You do not need a Saturn 5 mark 10 version 6 to capture VHS.

More importantly, depending on the program you are using for editing, the CPU will determine the encoding speed (if you're doing lots of effects on your video you don't want it to encode at 5FPS!). The integrated GPU may also have a big effect, and a separate GPU may greatly assist timeline performance/smoothness. Check the specific requirements/recommendations of your intended editor.

Cell phones work pretty well everyday but I don't think the manual controls on my samsung s9 give the best precision for something like a static shot of me talking indoors.
    Be careful with phone video; most new phones use variable frame rate which some video editors do not like, resulting in jerky video and possible out-of-sync audio. If you're going to do a lot of videoing, buy a video camera (or DSLR with video capability?). There is a poorly-titled discussion here about this. Note the comments from Cornucopia down the page.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    For a new computer if you want the best for medium price get a 5600x amd ryzen,if you can afford it a 5900x plays game and edits video.
    Nice, but not required.
    I can edit 4k video with zero issues or lag using an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 from 2018.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I was in your position last year.
    Was using a 10 year old Win7 desktop.
    It finally died.

I recycled my SSD, keyboard/mouse, and monitor
    and trashed everything else.

New case.
    New MB & CPU (Ryzen 5 2600)
    New RAM 16GB
    New Power supply
    Win 10
    GPU 1060GTX

I love having a new modern desktop.
    Trash your old junk and move to the future.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For capturing, Elgato earned the nickname "Elcrapo", so not sure where you read it was good. It most certainly is not. (Probably best not to get any more advice from wherever that was, or whoever that was!) You need to understand that Win10 is not your friend for capture. For capture, you do NOT want SSD, but instead use 2nd SATA internal HDD

For editing, as much RAM and CPU as you can afford, biggest SSDs, Asrock boards are often best.

Heat may need to be a consideration. It was for me. AMD runs hotter than Intel.

Noise needs to be a consideration for audio work. You don't want a wind tunnel in/on/under your desk. Ditch the excessive fans, and get a spacious tower with Noctua heat sink, less fans, quiet PSU.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, so to be clear, are there any good capture cards I should look at instead of elgato? I had heard good things about it from a youtuber that does a lot of vhs captures using a s-vhs deck. Which is similar to my situation.
    I know a lot of people here use virtual dub software to capture. I could never get it to work right. Are there other options such as built in to the editing software that support analog uncompressed capture? (with sony vegas, I could capture using a dv capture box within the program but if I tried to do uncompressed capture, I had to use something else)

Anybody know more about backward compatibility with Sony Vegas?
    Quote Quote