VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm looking for a player that will let me easily place bookmarks and easily deal with them.

Today I tried PotPlayer and its bookmarking is quite ok (it even loaded chapters from an mp4
    as I downloaded from the net. I didnt even know it had them: nice!) but I read a lot of warnings
    about its behaviour and I also can't configure it completely as I need, even if it seems possible,
    for what I see in the preferences (see another thread I opened).

So I'm looking for an alternative and I see the most reccommended player here is mpv.
    As I don't know it, before I spend time with it (I read it has a learning curve) let me ask if
    it can give me what I'm looking for, bookmarking wise.

Thank you.
    fabio
    Quote Quote  
  2. mpc-hc / mpc-be are actually the most recommended here.
    They have bookmarking (Favorites) and chapters (Navigate) menus and you can skip to the next chapter in the controls >>|.

Page Up and Page Dn are the usual hotkeys for navigating chapters (also in mpv).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you.

Will they require to install their codecs in system folders or some dependencies?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Will they work as DLNA clients?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fabiospark View Post
    Thank you.

Will they require to install their codecs in system folders or some dependencies?
    Nope, they have their own ("internal") demuxers and decoders and by default are set to use them and only them.
    Tell those players to save the configurations to a .ini file if you want to keep the Windows Registry as clean as possible
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you need more than one bookmark per file? SMPlayer, which is a very good mpv front end, will save the location where you stopped playing a file.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes, many.

But I need to be able to add a bookmark even withyout stopping the playback
    and also the possibility to retrieve them in future playbacks and to rename them.

See PotPlayer "P" shortcut to see what I mean.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    MPV has very few "out-of-the-box" solutions... but there already are a lot of scripts adding useful functions to it. There is also a bookmarker script that offer a nice basic framework to deal with bookmarks.

I wasn't totally satisfied with it .. so I created my own version of that script.
    This is the awesomeness of MPV. You can customize it in any way and add new functions to it if you need.
    Quote Quote