VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which video player can slow down video the most??
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can slow down a video as much as you want with most video editors. However, it won't look very good past a certain point because the only way to get really good slow motion is to "over-crank" the camera when filming and capture the video at 120 fps or higher.

Here is a comparison I did many years ago of three different ways to slow down a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS2p4rbkKXo
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you try slowing down 24/25 fps video it won't be smooth at all,as johnmeyer said you need to capture at 120 and higher fps,re-encoding to 120 fps will not help either.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. P.S. VLC can slow down to 0.03x. I just tried it, and it does indeed do that but, of course, it just serves out a single frame, and then you get to watch that frame for one second until the next frame is displayed. There is no sense of slow motion.

I didn't look, but I expect that you could easily hack VLC to go even slower than that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    According this the poster in this thread, Potplayer can go down to .02X with sound.

You can also map the mouse buttons and wheel to keys. I've set my wheel to: Press to pause, Down for frame forward, Back for frame back. It works instantly for CFR videos, but is slow and choppy with long GOP and VFR videos.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have Potplayer I was hoping there was video player that could play videos a little slower
    Last edited by DJboutit; 31st Oct 2020 at 15:57.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm guessing there should be a way to automate the frame by frame key in some kind of key macro. Keypress, pause, keypause, pause, keypress...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
    I have Potplayer I was hoping there was video player that could play videos a little slower
    Why do you want to do this? You might get more useful replies if you describe your application and why you need such slow playback. This might lead to other solutions. For instance, most players let you advance one frame at a time with a button push.

For actually watching a video, less than one frame per second, without "tweened" frames to provide actual slow motion, is not what most people would want.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Media Player Classic: Black Edition has playback speed controls. You can press `CTRL` + `down` keys and it will slow down as much as by 0.125 (1/8th) the speed.
    Creator of Video Hub App
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    I'm guessing there should be a way to automate the frame by frame key in some kind of key macro. Keypress, pause, keypause, pause, keypress...
    This article describes one way to do it: https://www.howtogeek.com/97998/how-to-make-your-computer-press-a-key-every-x-seconds/
    Quote Quote  
  11. I can recommend the software "Movavi Video Editor Plus". You can download it for free and either take a free trial or buy the full version for almost 40 euros. It's possible for both windows and mac. It's easy to master and you have a lot of editing options, e.g. filters, captions, transitions, crop and turn, adding intros and so on. I used it for editing a wedding video and it really worked out well.
    Wenn es möglich wäre, der Menschen Gedanken in einem Video zu speichern, gäbe es noch mehr Gruselfilme ;)
    Quote Quote