VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there i have just bought a new stick of DDR4 32gb ram PC4 - 21300 (DDR4 2666) for my pc but im getting no signal everytime i try and load windows

i have an asus prime b350 plus motherboard with 4 ram slots and a ryzen 7 processor and i currently have 2 sticks or 8gb ram and it supports this ram and supports 64gb

I started with the ram in with the old ram nothing happened so i took the old ram out and still nothing happened, i tried the ram in every slot and still nothing happened, the screen just stays blank everytime with no signal so i cant get into bios to see if the ram is even registered and is the right kind, when i put the old ram back in i can get into the bios and the ram frequency is set to auto, but i changed it to DDR4 2666 and again tried it in every lot and nothing happened, i have also tried it in my other pc and still nothing happens, blank screen and no signal.

so am i looking at duff ram or is there something im missing, something i am supposed to do in the bios, i would have thought any ram that the motherboard supports could just be plugged in and work straight away, any help would be great and is there a way of getting into bios with a blank no signal screen so i can at least see if the ram is registered
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check and double-check the mb manual.

Ram often needs identical pairs in specific slots.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    with the new ram installed, try removing the onboard bios battery (coin sized battery)
    wait a few minutes and replace the battery then try powering your PC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i could be wrong but i believe if you are using dual channel ddr ram, it has to be installed in identical pairs of sticks and also in the proper slots.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think that board can only use 16gb sticks of ram,not 32gb.Best to get 2x16 gb matched pair,using a single stick will be bad for performance since the ryzen really likes dual ram.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    4 * 16 = 64 would make sense. So would 2 * 32 (if supported). There is another link of the recc Ram the mb supports.

The manual states that it accepts varying sizes. But that is just a single stick in A2. One stick in A2 and one in B2. Or one in each of the 4 slots.

There is no recc of 2 + 1.
    Quote Quote  
  7. https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B350-PLUS/specifications/

That motherboard supports a MAX of 64GB ram TOTAL not per slot, each slot only supports up to 16GB ram. Also, it's generally not a good idea to mix ran sizes for maximum performance.

Since you already own 2x8GB sticks of ram, return the 33GB stick and by 2more 8GB sticks of the same speed, for a total of 32GB ram. I doubt if you need more than 32GB of ram, but if you do, save yourself some money and just buy a small, cheap NVMe and set that up as swap.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ I see the max of 64GB. And a total of 4 slots. But no specific reference of 16GB.

But as the saying goes, read before your buy. Saves a lot of headaches.
    Quote Quote  
  9. yeah i just noticed that, the 2 sticks of 8 were going elsewhere and the 32 was for this pc, i got it because it was a good price
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ What page of the manual does it state the max 16gb per slot ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you look through the pdf of johns0's post, no 32gb are listed as supported.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    if you look through the pdf of johns0's post, no 32gb are listed as supported.

That's fair enough. I already stated that there was a link to rec ram I did not view the link.
    Quote Quote