VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My desktop computer when I turned it on this morning is not its usual self. Programs are slow to launch. It seems to be bogged down. I am wondering if it is ram related. A lot of hanging and programs not responding.

I got this computer back in 2012 and it has always worked fine.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Iam pretty depressed about this. I am on my sister's laptop writing this.
    Quote Quote  
  2. check HDD/SSD
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First port of call is always Windows Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del and select) to see what is running.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I am trying to update Nod32. Task Manager shows Idle Processes at the top. Nod 32 is stalled for awhile now. Earlier this morning adobe seemed to be updating according to the task manager.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Atak_Snajpera: do you want me to right click on the hard drive and select?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Nod 32 finally updated its program and is restarting. It sure would be nice to have things back to normal.
    Quote Quote  
  7. A very slow restart. things don't look very hopeful.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    A very slow restart. things don't look very hopeful.
    right click on your HDD and click properties - tools - and do both error checking and optimize and defragment drive
    Quote Quote  
  9. Our corporate IT department recently sent out an email stating that Win 7 users were experiencing trailing mouse, block box upper right hand corner, white screens, Teams slow down, all sorts of issues; it was isolated to Windows 7 and MS was notified and said they were working on a solution,

Since we are a corporate account and pay for extended support services, any fix MS supplies us may potentially not be made public, but be aware that there are known issues with Win 7. Maybe it's time for a clean install.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    A very slow restart. things don't look very hopeful.
    right click on your HDD and click properties - tools - and do both error checking and optimize and defragment drive
    I will give it a try. Everything is slow.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I finally tried. It says:

Windows can't check disk while in use.

Do you want to check for errors the next time you start your computer?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I better buy some hard drives and get stuff off this computer, if it will allow me too. This computer has become useless.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Start cmd (as admin) and then execute
    Sfc /scannow
    You can also use my Dism-gui
    https://files.videohelp.com/u/292773/Dism-Gui_1.2.8.7z
    Last edited by ProWo; 24th Oct 2020 at 13:41.
    Quote Quote  
  14. It is doing the file check now. It is at 9% and several unreadable, which is probably bad news.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I finally tried. It says:

yes, just restart your computer and let the check disc run once finished
    you computer will start normally.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I have to go for now. My sister needs her laptop for a Zoom meeting. I hate these laptop keyboards.
    Quote Quote  
  17. The scan is still processing.
    Quote Quote  
  18. You can also try using System Restore to roll your computer back to the state it was in a few days ago.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    I finally tried. It says:

yes, just restart your computer and let the check disc run once finished
    you computer will start normally.
    It took hours to scan but the old gal seems to be back to normal. I have the analysis portion of the defrag going right now and I will have it defrag once that reveals its finding. Things are snappy again like they should be. But I am going to take my own advice. I need to get stuff off this computer and have everything that I want backed up backed up. I also need to have a back up computer.

Things seem pretty good so far. Thank you very much. I also better learn about restore points as that is important.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I have taken this computer for granted as it has been so reliable all these years.
    Quote Quote  
  20. The computer is faster and more responsive than it has been in a long time. I have done some video editing and I am soon going to do some video encoding to shrink the files and then place those on a hard drive. This will free up more space, and I will keep plugging away at that. Thank you october262 for your advice; I am happy and grateful that it has given me my computer functionality back again.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    If old computer worked well in 2012, it will never work so fast now. Soft has been changed and updated, and it needs new, better hardware. There are too ways to get rid of the problems: change the PC or laptop or get new hardware, SSD, for instance.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If old computer worked well in 2012, it will never work so fast now.
    Not so. My i5 from 2011 is going like it was when I built it then. Clean install of Windows 10, all the latest programs, it's going fine. I did change the C drive to an SSD but that just made it go even better.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by layka2 View Post
    If old computer worked well in 2012, it will never work so fast now. Soft has been changed and updated, and it needs new, better hardware. There are too ways to get rid of the problems: change the PC or laptop or get new hardware, SSD, for instance.
    That is completely wrong. My main PC is thirteen years old and is as fast as the day I bought it. I have over a dozen PCs and laptops and the secret to keeping them fast is to turn off ALL automatic updates; get rid of all anti-virus and other software that runs in the background; delete all background processes that are not needed; and, of course, back it up so that if something happens you can restore and get it back to exactly the way it was. I partition my hard drive so the C: drive only contains the O/S and programs. As a result, if I have to do a restore, it takes less than ten minutes.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    That is completely wrong. My main PC is thirteen years old and is as fast as the day I bought it.
    Subjective.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    That is completely wrong. My main PC is thirteen years old and is as fast as the day I bought it.
    Subjective.
    Not true. I'm an engineer, and I do benchmarks.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Subjective.
    Not true. I'm an engineer, and I do benchmarks.
    I don't think we can say absolutes in this discussion, for instance back in the Win NT days, the same computer that ran like stink on a monkey with NT or BeOS would slow to a crawl with Windows Me Same thing with Win 2k, I remember having a dual P3 with 512mb ram back in the day and with Win 2k it felt like grease lighting, SP2 made it feel much slower, SP4 restored it somewhat and XP made me want to throw the whole thing out the window.

These days I primarily use Linux and there are definitely kernel revisions that have introduced performance regressions.

The point if you keep the hardware exactly the same and you keep the software exactly the same, then yes, the system should keep forming the same, but people don't keep the hardware the same, they install OS and application updates and sometimes as new features are added it slows the system down and you need faster hardware to keep the system running as it was.
    Quote Quote