VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

I dont think this is the right site for this but wondered....
    can anyone advise that my dad was ripped off my curries giving him a secondhand LG which had a VA panel in it but was told it was IPS by rep, got his money back... as you could not view it unless head-on, engineers at his MOD work said it was a faulty VA panel anyway which had less than 60' viewing angle.

so i said, use RICHER SOUNDS on the advice of experts on here who are used to current models and helped me move from Samsung VA to LG OLED - was like night and day to me - LG B8 is brill - crap 5Ghz but brill - but he only read that RS do refurbished units so was put off the entire thing, i had to explain they do NEW units too and to demand one and have it printed on the receipt! + 5 years free GT on all sets OR John Lewis as they are meant to be alright.

his budget is £400-£450 and im certain LG sets at that price come with IPS panels / 4K@50/60Hz - HDR and TruMotion100 around 42"-48" size - my 10 years old £400 LG has IPS so did his 10 years old £400 720p Samsung (which is what he is STILL using with a FOXSAT 1080i upscaler) believing he was watching true 1080p on a 720p set - i had to explain the chain to him 576i upscaled to 1080i - deinterlaced to 1080p then sent to the TV which would downscale the picture, he needs educating.

anyway, the one he returned the screen had no peely - as i worked at PC world for 2 years i know their routine, it was returned probably for the same reason n reshelved cos that's curries do then lie to you about your entitlements to refunds.... all the new TV's i unpacked had peelys on the screen....so it was 2nd hand for starters.

WHY LG?
    because I've had all brands and found them to be best for MANY reasons and cos of C19 I cant visit but as we'll both have WebOS I can assist in setting it up and how to use apps etc using FACETIME... basically at 65 i can keep him right....

can anyone help?
    thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. A VA panel is not always worse than IPS. Also IPS has downsides. I have different TVs here and one of them has a VA panel and is much better than the IPS panel of the other one. The IPS is fine too, but the high end VA panel is definitely much better in comparsion.

I have gathered experience on LG TVs and the high-mid to low-end TVs and these were always shit. Sorry LG, if you read this. Maybe the ultra high end ones are fine, but I was always disappointed with the ones I tried.

So perhaps theres another TV manufacturer has a decent VA panel which suits your or your fathers expectation. Samsung, Panasonic and Sony are my favourites. Look for models of them. Keep in mind every manufacturer has one or more issues you might see. No one is perfect, but the LG's I had were total crap.

First you must decide between LCD (also LED backlight LCD is still LCD, also QLED is still LCD, but much better) and OLED. Micro-LED the third option and should be the best option, but "a bit" costly and very new.
    Quote Quote  
  3. hi and thanks for the replies.

having worked at PC world for 2 years and Sky too and owned and set up a myriad of TVs as well as opening and setting up ....and my findings were completely opposite to yours, i have a low end 32" LG with IPS and high-end LG 55" with IPS and they are spot on, i had a 55" Samsung 2018 model with VA and was so crap i swapped it for the 55" LG 2018 model...with IPS, What Hi-Fi says Sony and Panasonic are now some of the worst TV PIC QUALITY manu's you can get now unless its OLED (which are LG screens lol - just sony or Panasonic tech behind them)

He won't go for the expensive stuff like OLED or QLED he is 65 now and been on a 720p Samsung for nearly 11 years using FOXSAT and SOUNDBARS cos the sound was so poor from the Samsung==he said he didnt need it for the LG (before it went back) cos the sound was excellent..as are both of mine...

his budget was £400-£500 and all he wants and needs is 42"+ @ 4K (50/60Hz) + TruMotion100 + HDR that uses IPS panels and MUST be LG
    WHY LG?
    because I've had all brands and found them to be best for MANY reasons and cos of C19 I cant visit but as we'll both have WebOS I can assist in setting it up and how to use apps etc using FACETIME... basically at 65 i can keep him right....
    Quote Quote  
  4. 55" Samsung 2018 model with VA -> which one exactly?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IPS panels are probably only to be found on LG LED UHD TV models priced outside your budget. For example, the US version of the LG 55" SM8600 series TV has an IPS panel but it costs about $800-$1000 US. There is a UK version too, which may or may not have an IPS panel, but the price in pounds is probably not a significantly smaller number. (I can't seem to find a UK site that tells me about the panel or the price of the TV.)

[Edit]Look at other LG Nanocell models. They seem to be the ones that are more likely to have an IPS panel.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Oct 2020 at 16:35. Reason: I posted the wrong screen size. The 49" version was sold out. I also found the TV on sale for $800 at another store.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now had you checked the LG site you would have found this:

https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-43un71006lb

It claims to have an IPS panel whereas the other 43" (no 42") sets on the first page do not.

And for someone who worked at PC World I would have expected you to have spelt Currys correctly

This seems to be the model:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-43UN71006LB-Freeview-Freesat-built/dp/B0853M2SXL/ref=sr_1_...s%2C203&sr=8-1
    Quote Quote