VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search PM
    Just saw today Youtube-dl Github website is gone, apparently taken down by a DCMA notice ........ Bugger!
    Quote Quote  
  2. So, let's see how long it will take them to take down all the youtube-dl (source code) mirrors,...
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DCMA initiated by the RIAA and lots of mirrors at Github listed: https://github.com/github/dmca/blob/master/2020/10/2020-10-23-RIAA.md
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, but github itself shouldn't the only side mirroring youtube-dl,... iirc Debian (and probably other Linux distributions) did include youtube-dl in their repositories so they should have a source code mirror or it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree, but as you said in your earlier post, there could be a snowball effect. What's interesting is that the source code will probably live on somewhere, somehow.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Is it even certain that the source code is the real issue due to american law and not just the sharing of the binaries?
    I mean if the source code was the issue shouldn't stuff like libdvdcss in various projects (for example https://github.com/xbmc/libdvdcss) be an issue for ages?
    We will see. I suspect it's a problem with the binaries and sites like videohelp might also get takedown notices and github was just the beginning since it's the main distribution channel of youtube-dl.

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe the riaa will ban people entirely from viewing videos/music that can be seen since it's pirating the video/music into a persons memory.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Atm. I'm unclear about why youtube-dl is even a target down since afaik. it never tried to circumvent any copy protection or similar and basically acts like an offline browser which downloads parts parts of a website for offline consumption. (but to be frank I never new it supported other sites than youtube itself until I looked at their readme; only used the tool once on YouTube content)

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    youtube-dlc is a fork of youtube-dl

New github page: https://github.com/blackjack4494/yt-dlc

The old github page was taken down due to a DMCA takedown notice.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/ir8ic6/youtubedlc_an_active_fork_of_youtubedl/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by darkknight145 View Post
    Just saw today Youtube-dl Github website is gone, apparently taken down by a DCMA notice ........ Bugger!
    I'm dubious to the legality of that. RIAA can't claim on behalf of Youtube.

This seems to be the crux of the argument:

We also note that the source code prominently includes as sample uses of the source code the downloading of copies of our members’ copyrighted sound recordings and music videos, as noted in Exhibit A hereto. For example, as shown on Exhibit A, the source code expressly suggests its use to copy and/or distribute the following copyrighted works owned by our member companies:

• Icona Pop – I Love It (feat. Charli XCX) [Official Video], owned by Warner Music Group
    • Justin Timberlake – Tunnel Vision (Explicit), owned by Sony Music Group
    • Taylor Swift – Shake it Off, owned/exclusively licensed by Universal Music Group
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But why go for a site hosting code rather than the developer of the code ?
    Quote Quote  
  12. The courts in the U.S. have ruled that source code is protected free speech:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/1342657?seq=1

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/04/remembering-case-established-code-speech

Keep on eye on this one folks, I expect the EFF to jump on this soon.

In the mean time, as a practical matter, the DMCA is American law, that has not bearing on what is done in any other country, look at the Pirate Bay, they tried every single way they could to take it down and not only is it still alive and well but there are so many torrent sites it's impossible to keep track of them all.

This is an example of the RIAA going after low hanging fruit, they go after some guy on GitHub because they figure he doesn't have the ability to fight back, but they don't go after Google because Google will wrestle them to the ground and beat them over the head with the DMCA.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Question: Will youtube-dl still update using the command line interface? I haven't updated in a year or so.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Unlikely. Manually install the new fork if you need the latest version.

On windows -U was broken for me before all this happened (error: can't find the current version).
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Getting the same error with the newer version.

C:\Users\Superuser\Desktop>youtube-dlc -U
    ERROR: can't find the current version. Please try again later.
    Quote Quote  
  16. It is a wonderful tool and I hope it survives. I am grateful it exists and I am glad I learned how to use it from reading about it here at videohelp.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Will 4K Video Downloader will be next? If so does it rely on the developer website or it is a stand alone application?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Microsoft own GitHub and Google own Youtube. Need any more be said ? They think they own the rights to everything under the sun now, including the internet. They are the police men of the internet - but who's policing them ?

Also, afaik, youtube haven't complained to the RIAA so how can the RIAA be allowed to push this thru ? Youtube don't own the copyright to the videos they host, the artists do.

If their logic is correct then a knife can be used for cutting your meat up on a dinner plate, it can also be used to kill someone, so lets ban the manufacturing of all knives and destroy every blueprint for making a knife.

You don't have to be logged into Youtube to view content so you are not agreeing to their T&C's either. And what's their logic over their own Download button ? Viewing anything on any website is 'downloading' it, so what's the difference for offline viewing ? You can download google maps for 'offline viewing' - they encourage it - so you are not milking your data when navigating. How does that square with this ?

So, what's the future for JDownloader, IDM and a 100,000 other downloading tools that can download youtube content? A great quantity of them use youtube-dl as their engine. Are addons and extensions for discovering m3u8s or dash manifests going to be banned ? Even cURL, wget, streamlink, ffmpeg projects ? How do they stand now ? Because I can use all of them to DL Youtube videos.

This could be a massive turning point for Git projects. I suggest an en-masse walkout and abandonment of GitHub for GitLab or even a new project.

Whether youtube-dl fight back I really don't know. They ought to, morally, but it may be a futile cause against M$/google.
    Last edited by codehound; 26th Oct 2020 at 08:06.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Why doesn't Google just DRM everything on the YouTube Platform that would stop just about everyone from bothering trying to save the videos for Offline viewing? Not that I want them to do that. Breaking DRM is frowned upon here and would not be discussed how to do so.

Both Google and Microsoft are very powerful entities with deep pockets for lawyers. Also DMCA is in effect or catered to in other nations; I know it is here in Canada.

As I wrote before I hope youtube-dl and other programs like it survive and I hope as well that GitLab and future websites can survive an onslaught if it is coming.
    Quote Quote  
  20. How exactly did Google and Microsoft enter this conversation? They have nothing to do with this, the Recording Industry of Association of America (RIAA) sent a DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) notice claiming that youtube-dl was violating it's supposed members copyrights:

https://github.com/github/dmca/blob/master/2020/10/2020-10-23-RIAA.md

The thing with the RIAA is that they rely n the fact that they have massive amounts of money behind them and it becomes very expensive to fight them, so for a small target on the receiving end of one of these notices it's very easy to just give up without a fight.

People that have fought them have won a number of times, primarily because the RIAA does not actually own the copyrights they claim are being infringed, and it's not clear that they have any authority to represent the artists they claim to. When you sue you need to show "standing to sue", meaning show that you actually have a right to sue. The RIAA, like others, try to use "organizational standing", and courts have at times rejected such claims, even against the RIAA.

Honestly, this is a nothing burger, all you have to do is remove the comments in the source that references specific artists and then host the source in a country more liberal about copyrights, Russia and China come to mind and you'll be fine.

Besides, youtube-dl is open source, and it has been included in thousands of Linux and BSD iso's, plus it has very valid uses, I use it to download tons of Chemistry and Physics lectures off of YouTube, as well as some Bio and Economics lectures.

This isn't going anywhere.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    How exactly did Google and Microsoft enter this conversation? They have nothing to do with this
    MS own GitHub. Anyone else would have told them to do one.

Similarly, any troll now could pose the same argument to take down any other opensource project on GitHub that has the capability of downloading youtube (owned by google) content.
    Quote Quote  
  22. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by codehound View Post
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    How exactly did Google and Microsoft enter this conversation? They have nothing to do with this
    Good point, some days ago I myself was going to write something similar, but I thought it was so obvious that it wouldn't be necessary.
    Apparently I was wrong :-\

Similarly, any troll now could pose the same argument to take down any other opensource project on GitHub that has the capability of downloading youtube (owned by google) content.
    youtube-dl should have been renamed to something like "ManySites Downloader" ages ago, because youtube is not the only site from which it can download video and audio.
    It works with Facebook, Twitter, Vimeo, Dailymotion, Soundcloud, etc Etc ETC.
    Yes, it would be interesting /good if LOTS of code-maintainers moved house from GitHub to GitLab or something, but I think that's improbable :-\
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by codehound View Post
    I know Microsoft owns GitHub, so what? The RIAA sent GitHub a DMCA take down notice, and like most organizations, like YouTube, Facebook and the like, they have an automated method for dealing with take down notices. What do you want, MS to fight with the RIAA over some open source project? You are delusional if you think that will happen,

BTW, your second sentence doesn't make any sense, I have no idea what you were trying to say.
    Quote Quote  
  24. thats a bummer!!! whats next?!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Rain26 View Post
    thats a bummer!!! whats next?!
    I don't know myabe 4k video downloader? I don't understand though why would they go after a complicated application that is not used by the average Joe and leave alone a lot of easy to use apps and browser extensions that are used by almost anybody? Something is not right unless they are coming for the rest.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Github tried to get in contact with the maintainer, but to no avail yet.
    https://twitter.com/t3rr4dice/status/1320660235363749888/photo/1 (username nat_)
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Originally Posted by Rain26 View Post
    thats a bummer!!! whats next?!
    I don't know myabe 4k video downloader? I don't understand though why would they go after a complicated application that is not used by the average Joe and leave alone a lot of easy to use apps and browser extensions that are used by almost anybody? Something is not right unless they are coming for the rest.
    maybe try this

https://www.videohelp.com/software/pyIDM
    Last edited by dovedescent7; 29th Oct 2020 at 18:17. Reason: add image
    Quote Quote  
  28. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dovedescent7 View Post
    I have 4K video downloader, the best for me so far, and easy to use.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by codehound View Post
    I know Microsoft owns GitHub, so what? The RIAA sent GitHub a DMCA take down notice, and like most organizations, like YouTube, Facebook and the like, they have an automated method for dealing with take down notices. What do you want, MS to fight with the RIAA over some open source project? You are delusional if you think that will happen,

BTW, your second sentence doesn't make any sense, I have no idea what you were trying to say.
    You don't seem to understand slippery slopes.

This is blatant RIAA overreach being allowed uncontested (so far).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote