VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. First off let me say I don't think anything I am writing here promotes piracy or is illegal.

So I bought a "UHD friendly" LG WH14NS40 blu ray drive. It is internal and I use a SATA to USB converter.

This is the information according to MakeMKV

Drive Information
    OS device name: E:
    Current profile: BD-ROM
    Manufacturer: ASMedia
    Product: ASM105x
    Revision: 1.02
    Firmware date: 2115-12-11 15:03
    Bus encryption flags: 17
    Highest AACS version: 61

Now here's what happens. I put in a 4K disc. It reads. So far so good. But I just leave it in my drive, do nothing else for a few minutes except maybe browse the contents via Windows Explorer, and it freezes, the light keeps flashing, it makes the scratch sound, essentially the drive treats the disc as if it's trying to read a bad disc. I have to eject to free it up. Then I close the drive and it reads it again. And like clockwork it does it again after a few minutes.

Here' a video with what it does: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I4gpKDUDbpfXduVJ9OusxgnosSMoM-kO/view

I had an old laptop with Windows Vista. Plugged the drive to that, same thing. So that eliminates any issues with my PC.

This only happens with 4K discs. I tried two different 4K discs and same thing. I tried with a regular blu, and this did not happen. Tried with a DVD and CD did not happen.

Here's the kicker though. If MakeMKV is running, it takes MUCH longer for this to happen. Like, if I weren't trying to test it I probably wouldn't realize it. To boot, I was able to rip 4Ks twice with MakeMKV no issue.

If I leave it idle with MakeMKV open it will happen again eventually though and I will have to eject the disc.

Now upon a little more research I came across this in another forum and it describes my issue exactly:

Sleep Bug:

All UHD Friendly drives have the sleep bug, this is when a UHD disk is left idle in the drive for 2 minutes. Once the drive goes to sleep, the UHD Friendly drive will no longer be able to read the disk without opening and closing the disk tray and will make horrible seeking noises until this is done.

Sleep Bug Fix:

To fix the sleep bug on a UHD Friendly drive flash firmware from an UHD Official drive like WH16NS60 DE 1.00 or 1.01MK

IMPORTANT Before you flash:

1. Make sure your Drive was built after 2015
    2. Drive Platform MT1959<Most important
    3. SVC NS50+ LG only
    4. Just because your drive is the same model number does not mean it will work, if you are unsure ask me i offer remote flashing and check everything before i flash.
    5. Dont flash your dive if it does not meet these requirements if you do you will be unable to read all disks and unable to restore without dosflash that does not work on most modern computers
    So my question is, has anyone here had that issue? Did you use that solution? Did it work? Any other suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you haven't already tried elsewhere, it would make sense to post your question on MakeMKV's forum, DVDFab's forum or maybe RedFox's/AnyDVD's forum, depending on the ripping software that you want to use.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    If you haven't already tried elsewhere, it would make sense to post your question on MakeMKV's forum, DVDFab's forum or maybe RedFox's/AnyDVD's forum, depending on the ripping software that you want to use.
    I have no issue ripping. Ripping works fine. It's just of the 4K is idle.

And this info I got is from MakeMKV
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You will need to update the bios if you haven't already,it's been stated they won't read 4k uhd disc out of the box.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    as far as i can tell the only lg drive to support 4k uhd is the WH16NS60
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Class316 View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I have no issue ripping. Ripping works fine. It's just of the 4K is idle.

And this info I got is from MakeMKV
    Yes, you got your advice from MakeMKV's forum. Not only that but certainly there are fewer VideoHelp posts about ripping UHD Blu-ray than posts on the same topic at the MakeMKV forum. In light of this doesn't it make more sense to ask there if you want to know if the advice posted in their forum will work to fix the "sleep bug" for your LG WH14NS40?
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Oct 2020 at 23:35. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    as far as i can tell the only lg drive to support 4k uhd is the WH16NS60
    I have one, and yes, it's an LG drive that officially supports UHD Blu-ray playback with PowerDVD Ultra. However, even this drive cannot be used for ripping UHD Blu-ray unless it's flashed with modified firmware which allows that. I have not flashed my drive because I am not interested in ripping my UHD Blu-ray collection.

Class316 is asking about a UHD friendly drive, one that supports reading BD-R XL but lacks other features that are required for UHD Blu-ray playback with software licensed by the BDA.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Class316 View Post
    First off let me say I don't think anything I am writing here promotes piracy or is illegal.

So I bought a "UHD friendly" LG WH14NS40 blu ray drive. It is internal and I use a SATA to USB converter.

This is the information according to MakeMKV

Drive Information
    OS device name: E:
    Current profile: BD-ROM
    Manufacturer: ASMedia
    Product: ASM105x
    Revision: 1.02
    Firmware date: 2115-12-11 15:03
    Bus encryption flags: 17
    Highest AACS version: 61

Now here's what happens. I put in a 4K disc. It reads. So far so good. But I just leave it in my drive, do nothing else for a few minutes except maybe browse the contents via Windows Explorer, and it freezes, the light keeps flashing, it makes the scratch sound, essentially the drive treats the disc as if it's trying to read a bad disc. I have to eject to free it up. Then I close the drive and it reads it again. And like clockwork it does it again after a few minutes.

Here' a video with what it does: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I4gpKDUDbpfXduVJ9OusxgnosSMoM-kO/view

I had an old laptop with Windows Vista. Plugged the drive to that, same thing. So that eliminates any issues with my PC.

This only happens with 4K discs. I tried two different 4K discs and same thing. I tried with a regular blu, and this did not happen. Tried with a DVD and CD did not happen.

Here's the kicker though. If MakeMKV is running, it takes MUCH longer for this to happen. Like, if I weren't trying to test it I probably wouldn't realize it. To boot, I was able to rip 4Ks twice with MakeMKV no issue.

If I leave it idle with MakeMKV open it will happen again eventually though and I will have to eject the disc.

Now upon a little more research I came across this in another forum and it describes my issue exactly:

Sleep Bug:

All UHD Friendly drives have the sleep bug, this is when a UHD disk is left idle in the drive for 2 minutes. Once the drive goes to sleep, the UHD Friendly drive will no longer be able to read the disk without opening and closing the disk tray and will make horrible seeking noises until this is done.

Sleep Bug Fix:

To fix the sleep bug on a UHD Friendly drive flash firmware from an UHD Official drive like WH16NS60 DE 1.00 or 1.01MK

IMPORTANT Before you flash:

1. Make sure your Drive was built after 2015
    2. Drive Platform MT1959<Most important
    3. SVC NS50+ LG only
    4. Just because your drive is the same model number does not mean it will work, if you are unsure ask me i offer remote flashing and check everything before i flash.
    5. Dont flash your dive if it does not meet these requirements if you do you will be unable to read all disks and unable to restore without dosflash that does not work on most modern computers
    So my question is, has anyone here had that issue? Did you use that solution? Did it work? Any other suggestions?
    see this post - https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22232

and this post - https://makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19292
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

Class316 is asking about a UHD friendly drive, one that supports reading BD-R XL but lacks other features that are required for UHD Blu-ray playback with software licensed by the BDA.
    You are correct. It reads everything and I can rip 4K via MakeMKV. After all the research I decided this would be the best solution for me.

I'm afraid to flash it since it is largely doing everything I need it to.

I am able to

read and rip 4K movies and play them no issue

read and play CDs, DVDs, and regular blus

Maybe I'll just leave it alone.
    Last edited by Class316; 23rd Oct 2020 at 03:07.
    Quote Quote