VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

I converted all of my VHS tapes to files on my PC. Eight files are Lagarith the rest are FFV1. My Blu-Ray player plays MP4 MPEG-4’s via USB so I am converting the files into that format so they can be played on a USB while connected to the Blu-Ray player. I tried using Handbrake but it wouldn’t let me choose the exact resolution instead of 720x576 it kept on changing it to 723x720 or 721x578 instead of the source resolution. Now I am using FormatFactory to convert my VHS tape files to .mp4 MPEG-4 files but it’s taking a very, very long time. My specs are an i5 3470s, 6GB RAM and a 500GB SSD. Is there another program which can convert my files faster?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A few points.

Just how slow is 'slow'. Conversions take time.

mp4 is a container so you must establish the exact codecs that your player supports BEFORE you even start to convert.

Then you do NOT, if you want your video to look correct, keep the resolution at 720*576. There may be small black borders of a total of 16 pixels either left or right of the picture that you may wish to crop away. There may also be head switching noise of approx. 6 pixels at the bottom that you may want to crop away AFTER de-interlacing your video. Then, finally, you want a proper 4:3 resolution and that means 768*576 or, for example, 960*720 for better viewing.
    Quote Quote