VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Background: I'm traveling and the only computer I have is a Windows 10 laptop (not possible to switch OS right now). I have a bunch of DV captures of in laws' Hi8 tapes via a Sony DV camcorder I believe using scenealyzer (sp?) and the capture has been broken into approx. 2.3GB files. I'd like to concactenate these together into a single file that I can then use Handbrake to transcode into something smaller that I can share with people. Any suggestions on how to go about doing this while staying on Windows 10? I am very lightly conversant with VirtualDub but not to the point that I understand how to do this.
    Quote Quote  
  2. VirtualDub:

File -> Open Video File
    File -> Append Video Segment (repeat as necessary, can automatically append sequentially numbered files)
    Video -> Direct Stream Copy
    File -> Save Video
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can join DV files with Scenealyser. Scenealyser allows editing out of bits. Run it in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode (it doesn't install, just runs by itself wherever it is located); Right click on the EXE and choose Troubleshoot Compatibility.

You can also join DVAVIs with Virtual Dub provided you have a DV codec installed; just open one file, then use File>Append AVI Segment (the next file goes on the end) then for export, set the Video Compression to Direct Stream Copy. You can edit bits out of VDub, but only one piece at a time (or use job control) and then you'd join them back up. You can export out of VDub in H264/MP4 to share if, again, you have an appropriate codec installed.

Sounds to me like Scenalyser>Handbrake is the go.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Jagabo virtually dubbed me to it.
    Quote Quote