VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    JA, that Settop box I showed above records to MPG. It won't play MTS files (samples I got from here, but the WDTV Live HD (model CH3) will. Neither box needs a network or computer to function.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    JA, that Settop box I showed above records to MPG. It won't play MTS files (samples I got from here
    DTV broadcast in Australia is MPEG 2, like in the USA. Those MTS files all contain AVC (h.264) video which is not listed as supported at the Strong web site. So it's not surprising the player doesn't play them.
    Last edited by jagabo; 18th Oct 2020 at 08:54.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Aussie HD broadcasts are AVC. They come off my WinTV 8.5 as TS. I think the issue with those MTSs I linked is that they are BDAV. Not an expert though, and not that it's relevant to JA's easily-solved conundrum.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Aussie HD broadcasts are AVC. They come off my WinTV 8.5 as TS. I think the issue with those MTSs I linked is that they are BDAV. Not an expert though, and not that it's relevant to JA's easily-solved conundrum.
    Sorry, you're right, the String SRT 5432 does support h.264. I searched the companies technical specs page for "264" this morning but didn't find it. I must have made a typo or something because, looking again, I see it supports h.264.

https://strong.com.au/HD%20Digital%20Set%20Top%20Box%20with%20Record%20Function%20via%20USB

Profile Level: MPEG-1/2 MP@ML, H.264 DivX & MPEG4
    BDAV is only a minor modification to TS. Have you tried renamingthe files with the TS extension?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Alwin In N. America there are basic converter boxes with a PVR function available from Mediasonic/Homeworks, Aluratek, and a few other companies that can record TV on a USB stick as unencrypted mts files. As already stated, a model from Mediasonic/Homeworks was recommended to Just Ambivalent earlier in this thread.

There is a significant difference in the selection and capabilities of devices sold for recording OTA TV in N. America and those sold in the rest of the world. For example, TVs that are able to record OTA TV to a USB stick and Blu-ray recorders made for recording OTA TV have never been available here.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th Oct 2020 at 12:21. Reason: Clarity
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @JustAmbivalent There is a new Tablo box, the Tablo DUAL LITE OTA DVR with WiFi, for recording OTA TV. This box won't allow you to connect a USB stick directly to the box and export recordings but you can plug a USB stick into your computer and use a third party program (TabloRipper or Tablo Exporter) to pull your videos off of your Tablo and onto your PC as mp4 files. You can subscribe to Tablo's gude service or use broadcast EPG data to schedule recordings as well as set up recordings manually.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th Oct 2020 at 12:22.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    According to the Tablo site: https://www.tablotv.com/setup-networking/#harddrive, there's no mention of being able to record on your PC and actual setup is much more complicated, requiring a 1TB+ hard drive* to record and a Smart TV or external media player to watch the recordings.

*The site states that the following aren't supported as storage devices:
    • USB Flash Drives (AKA Memory Sticks, AKA USB Keys)
    • Network-Attached Storage (NAS)
    • Internal drives in external enclosures - HUH? Oh, they mean portable drives which may draw require too much current to operate properly. Not a good sign of quality.

https://www.tablotv.com/setup-networking/#harddrive

Please provide a link to where it says you can record the signal directly on you PC.

Edit: It just dawned on me. The box is a Chromecast with an ATSC tuner and external hard drive as it's source. Interesting concept. The real questions are, can the hard drive be removed and the contents accessed directly, what format are the files in and are the files encrypted.
    Last edited by lingyi; 18th Oct 2020 at 17:07.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Google search reported this:
    https://github.com/cyclej/TabloRipper/wiki
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    According to the Tablo site: https://www.tablotv.com/setup-networking/#harddrive, there's no mention of being able to record on your PC and actual setup is much more complicated, requiring a 1TB+ hard drive* to record and a Smart TV or external media player to watch the recordings.

*The site states that the following aren't supported as storage devices:
    • USB Flash Drives (AKA Memory Sticks, AKA USB Keys)
    • Network-Attached Storage (NAS)
    • Internal drives in external enclosures - HUH? Oh, they mean portable drives which may draw require too much current to operate properly. Not a good sign of quality.

https://www.tablotv.com/setup-networking/#harddrive

Please provide a link to where it says you can record the signal directly on you PC.

Edit: It just dawned on me. The box is a Chromecast with an ATSC tuner and external hard drive as it's source. Interesting concept. The real questions are, can the hard drive be removed and the contents accessed directly, what format are the files in and are the files encrypted.
    I never said anyone could record on their PC using the Tablo. I said someone can connect a USB stick into their computer and use a third party program (TabloRipper or Tablo Exporter) to pull their recordings off of their Tablo and onto their PC as mp4 files. That's similar to what happens when someone uses kmttg to copy non-encrypted recordings from a TiVo to a PC.

The Tablo re-encodes the transport stream as it records and stores recordings as H.264 video and two-channel AAC audio, so creating an mp4 file from those is a very quick and easy process that both TabloRipper or Tablo Exporter are supposed to be able to do.

Yes, the Tablo isn't a media player so you need a compatible streaming media player or smart TV app to watch recordings via streaming from the Tablo.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th Oct 2020 at 20:17.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting TY!

Edit: Nevermind. I see Alwyn already suggested using a USB tuner in the first reply to the OP and the idea was poo-pooed.
    Last edited by lingyi; 18th Oct 2020 at 19:29.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Random thought that just dawned on me and may have been poo-pooed by the OP. Since a device like the streams the output to the PC which then streams it to the TV, why bother converting the file? Just stream it or cast it from the PC directly to the second TV, through DLNA, Chromecast or other protocol.

Edit: Thinking about it, all the Tablo is doing is what Alwyn suggested in his first post. A PVR with streaming capabilities that can be easily done with the "crap" (sorry comment realllllly gets my goat and the whole farm!) solution of a DIY PVR. Probably even an Android Box with Kodi could do it. Advantage is you're not locked into any specific hardware and no sneakernet for the files.

I personally am not a fan of streaming, but this seems like a good reason/application.

Edit 2: In case anyone is wondering why I'm still posting. I don't care about the OP, but as always I hope a better/best solution can be found for others. Yeah, I'm grouchy SOB at times!
    Last edited by lingyi; 18th Oct 2020 at 19:55.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jagabo
    BDAV is only a minor modification to TS. Have you tried renamingthe files with the TS extension?
    Renaming those MTS to TS worked; they happily play in my Strong set-top box.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Originally Posted by Jagabo
    Renaming those MTS to TS worked; they happily play in my Strong set-top box.
    Good to hear! Thanks for testing it out.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Thinking about it, all the Tablo is doing is what Alwyn suggested in his first post. A PVR with streaming capabilities that can be easily done with the "crap" (sorry comment realllllly gets my goat and the whole farm!) solution of a DIY PVR. Probably even an Android Box with Kodi could do it. Advantage is you're not locked into any specific hardware and no sneakernet for the files.
    Personally, I record with PC TV tuners and a Windows HTPC. My HTPC is connected to a non-smart TV with HDMI. I can use DLNA with my mother's smart TV or file-sharing over my home network with other computers to watch elsewhere at home. I'm not going to pretend my solution was as easy to set up as simply using a TiVo would be but it is less expensive since I used my old PC as an HTPC when I upgraded to newer hardware.

However, totally I understand the appeal of a device designed specifically for recording TV.
    Quote Quote