VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and copy Ultra HD Blu-rays and DVDs! Or rip iTunes movies and music! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Thread
  1. Hello, I need an help. I have important videos that I want to save on a blue ray dvd. I remember when I used to burn a dvd video, i made it the most compatible as much as possible... my dvd videos were always perfectly compatible with almost all dvd players, (since 2000 up to now, I can still watch them on my pc dvd players or home players.
    I wish to make also a blue ray video this time.
    I mean, when I did a dvd video, it was like if was a normal dvd, at 100%.
    So I wish to do the same with this dvd bluray.
    Do you have advises which settings use? I'm very much not expert, so I need help.
    I have the possibility to use Nero burning 2014.

    The first step it's importing all the videos. The videos are all .mp4 and made with my mobile Huawei. Till now it's importing without problems.. let's see at the end. (are 72 mini videos that I collected in few years).


    Thank you for the help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Central Germany
    Search PM
    Blu-ray video (without 'e') has a lot of constraints.

    Especially specific combinations of resolutions and frame rates have to be encoded in an interlaced encoder setup even if the content is progressive (here the x264 encoder has a "fake-interlaced" mode to pretend it might be interlaced but actually isn't).

    And of course, there are restrictions to GOP sizes and encoding complexity (which x264 supports with a "bluray-compat" parameter).

    Last but not least, the encoder has to care about bitrate restrictions based on a VBV simulation. Here you need to know the VBV limits of the Blu-ray standard depending on resolution and frame rates.

    See this discussion as an example, and this elaborate thread in the doom9 forum.

    And this is just about the video. After the encoding you also need Blu-ray compliant authoring of a whole disc structure. This result you would finally best burn using ImgBurn, which is free and known to be precise, no need to care about Nero.

    Blu-ray video has to be burned on Blu-ray Discs, not DVD. It is possible to create a mostly compatible structure on a DVD medium, but real Blu-ray players might reject them, and you may have to reduce the resolution and bitrate to fit the content until the quality is not satisfying anymore.

    PS: Don't miss reading the Wikipedia about Blu-ray.
    Last edited by LigH.de; 15th Oct 2020 at 09:51.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Some updates: the videos was imported perfectly. I just need to prepare the image with burn image on folder. My doubt it's about when the image is ready, I should burn to what velocity and what I have to set up to be the best compatible?
    My bluray I believe it's 8x (verbatim) but i'm not sure because my brother don't have the box of them anymore and the disk it's all white , no information on the disk...
    Anyway it should be 8 x or 16 x
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    Blu-ray video (without 'e') has a lot of constraints.

    Especially specific combinations of resolutions and frame rates have to be encoded in an interlaced encoder setup even if the content is progressive (here the x264 encoder has a "fake-interlaced" mode to pretend it might be interlaced but actually isn't).

    And of course, there are restrictions to GOP sizes and encoding complexity (which x264 supports with a "bluray-compat" parameter).

    Last but not least, the encoder has to care about bitrate restrictions based on a VBV simulation. Here you need to know the VBV limits of the Blu-ray standard depending on resolution and frame rates.

    See this discussion as an example, and this elaborate thread in the doom9 forum.

    And this is just about the video. After the encoding you also need Blu-ray compliant authoring of a whole disc structure. This result you would finally best burn using ImgBurn, which is free and known to be precise, no need to care about Nero.

    Blu-ray video has to be burned on Blu-ray Discs, not DVD. It is possible to create a mostly compatible structure on a DVD medium, but real Blu-ray players might reject them, and you may have to reduce the resolution and bitrate to fit the content until the quality is not satisfying anymore.

    PS: Don't miss reading the Wikipedia about Blu-ray.
    Thank you for the informations... in the truth, I have already all videos ready, i just have to burn it on bluray disc ...
    So i should use imgBurn instead of nero for blu-ray? (2014 version it seems easy to use and it can burn also blu-ray). Since i know already Nero, I feel more confortable to use it, but im also curious about imgburn now... I could try it for curiosity too ..
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Central Germany
    Search PM
    Use what you are familiar with, as long as you are sure you will use it correctly with correct material. Try a rewritable disc (BD-RE) to test.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    Use what you are familiar with, as long as you are sure you will use it correctly with correct material. Try a rewritable disc (BD-RE) to test.
    Thank you again.
    As a last question, when the disc is ready, as burning speed, I should use the same speed it's on the bluray? For example if 8 X or 16 X , or more slow burning, like 4 X?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search PM
    What's printed on the disc is its Max allowable speed. You can go slower.
    E.g. if it says 16x, you could burn at 1x, 4x, 8x, 16x. Perhaps others in between (2x, 6x, 12x...) if the disc and drive supports them.

    Why go slower? It used to be in older days that you would get less errors when burning slower. 1x was best and it was linear growth from there. But tech has changed, and that doesn't seem as true now. Likely there is a speed that is the combo of disc's & drive's sweet spot and that is where you get your least BLER (block error rate). And that sweet spot also seems to have risen in speed overall, so it might be possiblefor certain combinations to now have least bler at the max speed.
    But you won't know this without trial & error (& wasting some discs, unless you are using rewritables). Sometimes, it's easier to just leave it in "Auto" and hope for the best. Or if you do a lot & always use same brand with same model drive, you can successively tweak. I used to do that, but don't have the time any longer, so now I just do Auto & test after and hope for the best.


    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    But you won't know this without trial & error (& wasting some discs, unless you are using rewritables).

    Scott
    Thank you for the infos... Yes, I could do some trial and test, but sometimes burned disc looks they works or run perfectly, but I had problems, many time after ><
    Sometimes is not easy to find if there's errors...
    But maybe I could try a verify test if everything it's going smooth (if these verifications tests on Nero , works and are really accurate), i don't know...
    anyway, let's hope everything will go ok,
    thanks again for the advises to all!
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads