VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there,

so I have a lot of DVDs from old 90's to early 00's tv shows that I want to rip/encode using x264. I have used Handbrake in the past but I'm not satisfied with their deinterlacing methods so I kinda have to use other software such as StaxRip for example.
    The thing is, StaxRip only allows importing Blu-ray folders or single files, but not DVD folders. And most of the DVDs I have contain multiple .VOB files and 1 episode is mostly splitted across multiple files which makes it very tedious to import them that way, even when merging them.
    So what I really need (and this is the reason I have used Handbrake in the past, because it's very user friendly) is a way to identify DVD titles/chapters. I did some research and found out about libdvdnav and libdvdread, isn't this exactly what I'm looking for? I know mkvtoolnix has added support for them in May but I'm not sure how to use/install them in order for it to work (I'm using Windows btw). This way I could just mux them into a .mkv using mkvmerge and then encode them with StaxRip. But I have absolutely no clue how to do that, and I really need something with a GUI.

Is there any way to achieve this or should I just continue using Handbrake because apparently my knowledge is not enough for this stuff? I really want to use QTGMC though.. (and please don't tell me I shouldn't deinterlace my footage..)

Thanks so much in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried MakeMKV?
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. MakeMKV won't encode with x264, just remux from VOB to MKV.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Have you tried MakeMKV?
    That did the job for me, thank you very much. Now I just need to do the encoding but all the titles/chapters are now included. Awesome.
    Quote Quote