VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all

I'm capturing some VHS tapes and noticed in some cases loosing all detail in bright areas. Thought I'd compare how the Panasonic DMR-ES10 compares with a Sony RDR-HXD870 with AGC on/off.

Hope it helps someone:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crEojSrXzFM

Exploring the settings:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XESzXCxf3Hg

Lineage is:
    PAL VHS tape (2nd or 3rd gen) --> SONY SLV-D993P --> Sony RDR-HXD870.Panaosnic DMR-ES10 --> Svideo --> JVC Camcorder --> DV (mostly so I could edit with frame accuracy).
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Too much video processing and the final nail in the coffin is DV chroma subsampling, not good on my book.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the feedback.
    I'm not sure what processing you're talking about other than titles and YouTube compression.
    As for the DV chroma subsampling, I didn't expect it to be an issue for this but can capture using a different method (let me know what you would suggest). I have a couple of PCIe devices that should do uncompressed yuv/rgb and a couple of hdpvr devices that will do h264 (granted at 4:2:0 yuv I think - about the same as DV?).
    Quote Quote  
  4. I use the older RDR-HX750 (with hdmi+splitter) , and the Pioneer DVR-440 which has similar hardware a fair bit as a sort-of-TBC. They're a nice alternative to the panasonics with less annoyances, they don't blow out whites in the way the panasonics do and don't turn off the analog (at least s-video/composite) output when it thinks there is no input signal. They're a tad less robust at handling bad tapes than the panasonics, but in most cases they do ok. They've all seemed pretty transparent to me beyond this as long as noise reduction is turned off (I know the NTSC Panasonics have some NR that can't entirely be disabled, but that doesn't seem to be a thing on the PAL ones.)

It's possible to work around the clipping issue on the PAL Panasonic DVRs using a (passive) volume control, potentiometer or similar to lower the video signal level. If lowered below a certain point the AGC "gives up" and doesn't try to push the brights way too far.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pgodwin View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I'm not sure what processing you're talking about other than titles and YouTube compression.
    As for the DV chroma subsampling, I didn't expect it to be an issue for this but can capture using a different method (let me know what you would suggest). I have a couple of PCIe devices that should do uncompressed yuv/rgb and a couple of hdpvr devices that will do h264 (granted at 4:2:0 yuv I think - about the same as DV?).
    I guess the results of a 2nd or 3rd generation (VHS) copy is also processing, you cannot undo that, that's something you have to live with,
    you should have the orginal tapes that where transfered to that tape, if possible.
    Quote Quote