VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I had very satisfying results using HCEnc during my DVD video converting projects. I wonder if anything this good is available for MacOS though? I would like to be able to do these conversions when I am running MacOS. However, I am not even sure it is HCEnc that is responsible for the great results, or it is just a simple software, and actually it is Avisynth, and I can just choose any converter, that uses Avisynth and runs on MacOS?
    Quote Quote  
  2. HCEnc was/is responsible for the quality, it was written in Fortran and it only used Avisynth for input.

Makes you wonder what this author could have done if he had decided to write an AVC or HEVC encoder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bencuri View Post
    I had very satisfying results using HCEnc during my DVD video converting projects. I wonder if anything this good is available for MacOS though? I would like to be able to do these conversions when I am running MacOS. However, I am not even sure it is HCEnc that is responsible for the great results, or it is just a simple software, and actually it is Avisynth, and I can just choose any converter, that uses Avisynth and runs on MacOS?
    try ffmpeg - https://alternativeto.net/software/ffmpeg/
    Quote Quote  
  4. side notes:
    a. don't know of any current converter which support Avisynth on MacOS.
    b. the old converters I know of use Wine to run Windows Avisynth, so if you need to get Wine to use Avisynth your could directly use it to use HCEnc and Avisynth in one go.
    (a decade ago or so Compressor and CCE were the most common MPEG-2 software encoders on MacOS; ffmpeg is probably the best free MPEG-2 encoder available for MacOS)
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  5. Anonymous344
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    HCEnc was/is responsible for the quality, it was written in Fortran and it only used Avisynth for input.
    You could also use a d2v as input. But I don't know if that helps the OP.

Both DGIndex and AviSynth work well for me under Wine, so I see no reason why someone couldn't go that route and use HCenc under Wine on macOS.

Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    Makes you wonder what this author could have done if he had decided to write an AVC or HEVC encoder.
    Funnily enough, I was thinking the same thing the other day. If you know what you are doing, HD encodings made with HCenc look far better than many people would expect.
    Quote Quote