VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi all,

I am converting VHS to my PC and using Lagarith and plan to convert the 7 videos I have done so far within Virtualdub2 to FFV1. Is YUY2 and YV12 lossless? I heard that RGB is lossy from a Youtube video? How do I get FFV1 maximum compression within Virtualdub2?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You should never capture as RGB. The capture should always be YUY2 or other YUV 4:2:2 arrangement. Lagarith is always lossless if you keep the color format the same. If you convert color format it will not be lossless. The color conversion will cause losses, lagarith will then compress that losslessly.
    Quote Quote  
  3. How does one determine the color format?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by dvd3500 View Post
    How does one determine the color format?
    Can you clarify the question ?

In what context? Of the source, same random file ?

Sometimes you can use mediainfo, other times ffprobe
    Quote Quote  
  5. What I meant is that I am pretty sure I can figure out what codec was used but not what color format.
    If I understand your response I can see it using mediainfo...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Even knowing what format the codec uses doesn't guarantee what you get from a particular decoder. For example NTSC DV is stored internally as YUV 4:1:1 (720x480 luma 180x480 chroma). Most decoders output YUV 4:2:2 (720x480 luma 360x480 chroma). At least one outputs RGB 4:4:4 (720x480 R, G and B).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Exactly that is my point.
    If I can't be sure of the color format I don't know how best to handle the video.

I am planning on finally digitizing some home videos and am trying to figure out how best to go about it.
    DV video is a option....
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by dvd3500 View Post
    I am planning on finally digitizing some home videos and am trying to figure out how best to go about it.
    DV video is a option....
    It shouldn't be. Capture as YUY2, encode with a lossless codec like huffyuv or lagarith in yuy2 mode. Filter and encode from there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you are trying to figure out how to BEST handle the video, follow jagabo's advice if you are starting from Analog sources. If you are starting from already DV sources, just transfer the DV stream, but DV is NOT the "best" option for analog sources, merely a sometimes convenient one.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks folks.
    That was exactly the advice I was looking for.
    Quote Quote