VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, after remuxing some DVD's with MakeMKV, I realized it somehow altered the VobSub subtitles' color from the original files. While trying with another similar program, they were just fine. Like this:

http://www.framecompare.com/image-compare/screenshotcomparison/7K6KPNNX

I have compared the respective "idx" files from both, the MKV as multiplexed by the tool I used back then and MakeMKV; now I think I know why they look different. For some reason, MakeMKV's "idx" file has a different palette's information than the other tool. Besides, it lacks "scale" and "custom colors" parameters; and timestamps are slightly different as well.

Normal:

palette: 000000, FEFEFE, 3A3A3A, 7F7F7F, 7F0000, 007F00, 7F7F00, 00007F, 7F007F, FD8100, FE0000, 00FE00, F0F000, 0000FE, F000F0, 00F0F0,
    Washed-out:

palette: bebebe, 121212, 565656, c9ef14, bebebe, 171717, 5f5f5f, e7e7e7, 828282, 828282, 828282, 828282, 828282, 828282, 828282, 828282
    I don't know why MakeMKV is multiplexing the VobSub subtitles that way, but I used the very same source in both cases.

I'm using the very same player with the multiplexed MKVs, the only thing I change is the tool that do the remuxing job. That's why I'm wondering, provided MakeMKV only limits to rip the original vobsub files, why they show up washed-out when playing the resultant files? And why not, when I play the same remuxed files, but which were multiplexed by another tool.

Anyway, looking at the above "IDX" files values, I'm wondering if would it be possible to do a kind of "search and replace" operation on MKV files, which changes specifically the washed out values, for the correct ones?

If someone could provide some insights about this I would be very grateful.

Thanks.

P.D. A few months ago I already asked about this issue on the MAKEMKV's forum, but that program's developer didn't care to give even a single answer.
    Last edited by FTG; 12th Oct 2020 at 16:17.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe if you extracted the original subs from the DVD, check their parameters and if correct for your needs, remux them into your MKV file.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well, I'm planning to remux 10 DVDs to MKV files and as far as I know, the only program that will do the job in a batch way, with almost no further interaction is MakeMKV (with the help of "BatchMKV"). The only drawback I found so far is MakeMKV itself altering the subtitles' color; and demuxing all the subtitles from the MKVs as produced by the other tool, to later multiplexing them manually into the MakeMKV's MKVs seems too much of a hassle.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I just realized changing the values manually as I thought will not work, even if I manage to alter the "IDX" files, they will not look correctly afterwards.

I will have to remux the non washed-out subtitles manually into each MKV file somehow.
    Quote Quote