VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. In building a video I pay attention to the % in the left margin of DVDFLICK thinking that once I get close to 100% the video is "full" and I cannot add more video files. I actually bought 8.5GB disks because of this. When I thought I would surpassed the 100% on the left margin of DVDFLICK, I inserted the 8.5GB disk and hit "create DVD" on DVDFLICK. A half hour later I got a message that the video will fit on a standard DVD and I could replace the 8.5Gb disk with a standard one or just proceed. I hit proceed and it created the video just fine. So my question is how do I tell how many video tracks I can add to a DVD when the left margin on DVDFLICK is showing 100%??
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Knalas View Post
    In building a video I pay attention to the % in the left margin of DVDFLICK thinking that once I get close to 100% the video is "full" and I cannot add more video files. I actually bought 8.5GB disks because of this. When I thought I would surpassed the 100% on the left margin of DVDFLICK, I inserted the 8.5GB disk and hit "create DVD" on DVDFLICK. A half hour later I got a message that the video will fit on a standard DVD and I could replace the 8.5Gb disk with a standard one or just proceed. I hit proceed and it created the video just fine. So my question is how do I tell how many video tracks I can add to a DVD when the left margin on DVDFLICK is showing 100%??
    Which particular version of DVD Flick are you running ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I clicked on the update tab and got the message that I am using the latest version. The question I asked was misstated. I guess the real question is what does that % in the left margin mean?
    When I try to create the DVD the program actually tells me that I don't need the 8.5Gb disk but I was hoping I could proactively know when I need to stop adding video files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My further research found that the left margin will turn RED if you exceed DVDFLICK capacity for a standard DVD(?) and to be honest I never actually seen that happen. I usually get to 98% and stop adding clips thinking the next clip will exceed capacity
    Quote Quote  
  5. The percentage bar is just a rough guide, and I haven't noticed any significant change in its function from v1.3.0.4 thru the current (crowd-sourced) v1.3.10 (over time, I've found v1.3.0.7 to be the most stable, and have retro-graded back to it from later updates).

The percentage indicator bar operates in a fairly binary fashion: if its yellow, you're good to go, if its red, you need a higher capacity blank or need to remove some titles. I usually try to keep around 95%, but theres really no reason to: even maxed out at 100%, I've rarely had a project fail. The worst that ever happens on rare occasions is a dvd template just a trifle too large for the target blank (weirdly, when the bar reads below 100%). If that occurs, I just run it thru DVDshrink to reduce it be 5% with no harm done.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I am satified with the answers to my question. Anyone know how to close this issue out?
    Quote Quote