VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Will handbrake recode x264-10bit to x264-8bit?

Playback on my old network media players do not fully support x264hi10 and result in video artifacts during playback (very annoying).
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes it will.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The basic command line will look something like:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input10.mp4 -pix_fmt yuv420p -c:v libx264 -c:a copy output8.mp4
    Quote Quote  
  4. The easy way (for Windows systems only): clever FFmpeg-GUI
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks,

I don't understand why someone would encode in x264-10bit when there is almost zero hardware support for this. They work perfectly on any computer running software based players but there is basically no known hardware that specifically supports this 100-percent and certainly no affordably displays that can actually interpret this depth of color range.
    Why not just skip the x264-10bit and go for the x265-hevc instead which there have been tons of hardware support for the past several years.
    I still have not decided whether to just keep these 264-10bit as is and just use a pc to play these 480p-SD or recode them.
    I'm now thinking it is not worth the time and resources and just leave them as is.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't understand why someone would encode in x264-10bit when there is almost zero hardware support for this.
    a. no banding
    b. x265 wasn't always around and really slow at the beginning
    c. according to some folks x264 does preserves more details on SD content at the same bitrate
    I agree nowadays using H.265 10bitis preferable to using H.264 10bit.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  7. @Selur

Thanks for that info.

I will preserve all the x264-10bit as they are since they are playable on any software and most likely some modern hardware media players.
    Quote Quote