VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and copy Ultra HD Blu-rays and DVDs! Or rip iTunes movies and music! Download free trial !

Poll: What OS is best for video editing?

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,
    So I am writing this on a PC. I edit videos for YT, stuff to do with nature mostly. I am just wondering if anyone here thinks that Final Cut Pro is worth getting?.

I am thinking about getting a Mac for FCP, but I need some good opinions before I decided to make the move. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Unless you are in a collaborative work environment sharing projects with others, it is a matter of personal preference. Both are quite capable.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If you're planning on buying a Mac I suggest you wait to see what the new ARM based Macs will offer performance wise.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I get the impression that youtubers are using Premier Pro more these days, and they're paying a lot more for it, so I figured it was probably somewhat more sophisticated than Final Cut Pro.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    KdenLive shouldn't even be a poll entry.

FCP vs. Premiere.

I like both. But mostly use and prefer Premiere.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by philraymond View Post
    I get the impression that youtubers are using Premier Pro more these days, and they're paying a lot more for it, so I figured it was probably somewhat more sophisticated than Final Cut Pro.
    It's not a question of sophistication -- it's a question of market penetration. Premiere is cross-platform, integrates well with other Adobe tools (Photoshop, After Effects) and cheap if you are a student. FCPX ties you to Apple, is relatively inexpensive, and some folks really love it. DaVinci Resolve should probably be on your list too. Again -- personal preference.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Unless you are in a collaborative work environment sharing projects with others, it is a matter of personal preference. Both are quite capable.
    This is spot on. I work for a production company and have worked with many editors that we hire when we get backed up. The problem is the compatibility between the two platforms. At our bays, we use PP, so sharing a project to someone using FCP(and vice-versa) isn't very easy depending on how complex the project is. We also use a mix of Mac's and PC's with PP which works fine. However, I hear a lot more issues using PP on PC's than Mac's. But there's just too many variables that could be causing those issues to make a judgement on which OS is better. I'm a Mac user and find it much easier to navigate than Windows, but that's just my pref.
    Quote Quote