VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have both a Japanese set and Spanish set for an animated TV series. The USA one looks better and was not overly DNR'd to hell, but they screwed up the colors. The Spanish set has colors more true to the original, but they DNR'd it to hell.

Is there an avisynth script I can use to take the colors/chroma from the spanish video, and lay it on top of the USA video's chroma/colors?
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 9th Oct 2020 at 00:55.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Code:
    L = AviSource("luma_video.avi")
    C = AviSource("chroma_video.avi")
    MergeChroma(L, C)
    But you'll probably have to scale, align, and frame rate convert the two videos first. And the luma is probably different too.

There's also an old filter called ColourLike() that can make the colors of one video match the colors of another.
    Last edited by jagabo; 16th Apr 2022 at 12:20.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll be interested to see before/after clips of this project.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. There's an old thread where someone replaced a logo with video taken from another video of lesser quality using ColourLike() to adjust the levels/colors.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/372331-Levels-and-color-match-in-Avisynth

It's not too distracting.
    Quote Quote  
  5. This is asked a lot over at doom9.org where they have a lot more programming capability. I've provided some links below, including one attempt to align the clips programmatically.

In a nutshell, you are embarking on a task which may sound straightforward but, as you are bout to find out, the devil is in the detail.

This is actually really tough to do. I know because I've done it.

To cut to the chase, you are going to find that once you align your two clips on the first frame you will quickly find that they do not stay in sync.

What's more, if they are from an interlaced analog source, you may find that the top and bottom fields don't match. This happens because in analog video there is no TFF or BFF. The video can start with either field and be quite happy.

You will also probably find that the two clips are spatially a little different, both in X-Y direction as well as magnification. This too can drift over time.

Twenty years ago I did this several times because digital noise reduction technology wasn't yet very good, but you could get pretty good noise reduction by creating multiple captures of the same exact video, from the same source and the same capture chain. The trick was to average them together. This got rid of the noise because the noise is random and different in each capture, but the video content is the same. The more captures you averaged, the lower the noise.

It was this work that introduced me to the headaches involved in keeping two captures aligned both spatially and temporally. My task was infinitely easier than what you are trying to do because I was capturing the identical source, with the identical equipment. By contrast, your clips are from different sources, and I can guarantee that they will drift with respect to each other.

However, which that as background, have a go and see what you find.

Here is the software that you may find useful:

SpatialAlign v1.0 : Spatial Alignment of clips

MatchFrames/LocateFrames v1.06

And here are some discussions about similar problems:

How to synchronize two videos by comparing video frames

This one has references to a LOT of different software that may be useful:
    Synchronising two videos; different audio, frame drops
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well I wont be able to look into or work on this until the end of this weekend, but I will look into it and indeed share if I have any questions or have succeeded in doing this.

Thanks for the starting ideas and tips everyone.

I don't believe either one is interlaced BD, but if one is, this sounds like it wont be easy. If they are not interlaced, and or if I need to, I will sync them both frame for frame video wise first before attempting to do this. Them being exactly the same video frame for frame with the same number of overall frames should be a helpful start.
    It sounds like after that what I will look into is make sure the amount of overall picture is exactly the same. If I need to crop one or both to match the other as close as possible in width and height to keep the video identical around the outer edges, I might just do so.
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 9th Oct 2020 at 01:05.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I never did get around to doing this until just recently.

I made sure they matched frame for frame playback wise, and that they had the same amount of overall picture when it came to the cropping and image placement.

I just thought I would let you know that it is indeed possible to do this, and it worked very well taking the chroma from one source, and placing it over the chroma on the other source.

I just made 2 separate scripts, one for each source, and then in the source I wanted to encode, I imported the other script using Import = colorfix.avs, and used MergeChroma(last, Import) at the end of the script to place the chroma from the other one in the video.

This can indeed be done as long as everything matches playback wise when it comes to frames, and what pixels of the video are available. It's even easier when both sources have the same cropping or pixels available, and you don't have to make them match.
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 16th Apr 2022 at 12:44.
    Quote Quote