VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, so I've been having some trouble getting optimal video quality from my Simpsons DVD rips using Handbrake but I have made progress. I've been able to reduce combing/interlacing by using the "decomb" feature using the "yadif" setting with the preset set to "default" and interlace detection set at "default" as well as setting the "detelecine" option to "default."

However there is still pronounced juttering in panning shots such as the one in this clip https://youtu.be/nu3eidxD2z4 where the camera pans around the boardroom.

My other settings are:

-30fps Framerate set to Constant Framerate
    -Encoder Preset set to "very slow"
    -Container is MP4 and is web optimized.

Does anyone know of any further settings/tweaks that can get rid of the pesky judder? This is a US NTSC DVD btw.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. If this is from an NTSC DVD, why is that YouTube clip at 25fps? How about an M2V/VOB from the DVD of that same scene?

Not really relevant, but why upscale to 1080p and why encode the black bars into the video?
    Quote Quote  
  3. The Simpsons (like many cartoons of that era) has a mix of different frame rates, telecined film plus effects added at 30p or 30i. The best way to deal with that in Handbrake is to deinterlace with Yadif+Bob and encode at twice the frame rate (59.94 fps for NTSC, 50 fps for PAL)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you jagabo! Those settings seem to have done the trick.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ...spoke too soon. The judder issue in panning shots remains resolved, but another issue is still present: "dancing" or ringing/shimmer around lines. It's pretty prominent in some scenes, such as the screenshot below (especially in Homer's and Lisa's faces). Also uploaded a quick clip to see it in motion https://youtu.be/WfL0_aektUw: it's especially obvious on the dinner plates. Are there any tweaks that can fix this? Thanks!

My current Handbrake settings are as follows:
    -“Filters” tab: Deinterlace (Yadif+Bob, interlace detection set to “default”)
    -“Video” tab: Framerate is 59.94, at constant framerate with “encoder preset” set to “very slow” setting.
    -Presets: HQ480p 30 Surround

[Attachment 55438 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ministry88 View Post
    ...spoke too soon. The judder issue in panning shots remains resolved, but another issue is still present: "dancing" or ringing/shimmer around lines. It's pretty prominent in some scenes, such as the screenshot below (especially in Homer's and Lisa's faces). Also uploaded a quick clip to see it in motion https://youtu.be/WfL0_aektUw: it's especially obvious on the dinner plates. Are there any tweaks that can fix this? Thanks!

My current Handbrake settings are as follows:
    -“Filters” tab: Deinterlace (Yadif+Bob, interlace detection set to “default”)
    -“Video” tab: Framerate is 59.94, at constant framerate with “encoder preset” set to “very slow” setting.
    -Presets: HQ480p 30 Surround

[Attachment 55438 - Click to enlarge]
    have you tried the encoder tune setting in the video tab ?? - https://www.reddit.com/r/handbrake/comments/ehadxe/settings_to_remove_simpsons_dvd_artifacts/
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by ministry88 View Post
    "dancing" or ringing/shimmer around lines.
    Crappy Yadif bobbing, especially bad with animations. Time to learn some AviSynth. As already requested:
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    How about an M2V/VOB from the DVD of that same scene?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, Yadif isn't a great deinterlacer -- though it's the best available in Handbrake. If you're serious you'll have to learn AviSynth.

To be sure, upload a short (30 second?) sample (this site accepts up to 500 MB) of your source (not reencoded) and we'll take a look at it.

But many people here have dealt with the Simpsons before you.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your willingness to help! I'd love to upload a 30 sec clip but I'm not sure what you mean by "not re-encoded." Does that mean not converted to an mp4 such as Handbrake does? I thought the point was for you to look at the shimmer/"dancing" around the outlines caused by Handbrake's filters. If you do mean a handbrake clip, I'll upload a 30 second clip of that same shorter clip I uploaded previously, using the same Handbrake settings.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by ministry88 View Post
    Thank you for your willingness to help! I'd love to upload a 30 sec clip but I'm not sure what you mean by "not re-encoded." Does that mean not converted to an mp4 such as Handbrake does? I thought the point was for you to look at the shimmer/"dancing" around the outlines caused by Handbrake's filters.
    We know what the the problem is. The question is how best to avoid it. That depends on the exact nature of the source. Hence a request for a sample of the source. You can extract a short clip with a program like DgIndex. Open a VOB, mark-in, mark-out, File -> Save Project And Demux Video. Upload the resulting M2V file.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK here's the (slightly expanded) m2V clip, straight from my DVD. Thanks again.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  12. It's almost all progressive so it's a simple matter using AviSynth. I have no idea what the rest of this episode or the others are like:

TFM(D2V="Test.d2v")
    TDecimate(Mode=1)
    Crop(8,0,-8,0)
    Spline36Resize(640,480)
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  13. None of the filters in Handbrake work well for this video. You'll want to use AviSynth.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the code! Wow, I thought it would be as simple as opening AviSynth, importing the clip, pasting in the code and voila it will work. Nope. Seems like it's a bit of a learning curve to learn how/when to add the code to AviSynth (it may involve other programs like FFMPEG?). I'll get there though.
    Quote Quote  
  15. You open a video using the script as well. I left out the source filter which was:

MPEG2Source("Test.d2v"
    )

and then add in the other stuff. You'll have to read the 'Getting Started' sections of the AviSynth website but I believe the best way of learning your way around AviSynth - especially when your sources are DVDs - is to read again and again the docs included in the DGMPGDec package. It includes the stuff you'll need to get started (especially DGIndex and the DGDecode.dll) as well as the best docs in the business. The TFM and TDecimate lines in the script come from the TIVTC IVTC filter which has to be downloaded while the Crop and Resize filters are included in AviSynth.

A completed script can be opened in VDub/VDub2, MPC-HC and other players, RipBot264, ffmpeg and other encoders.
    Quote Quote