VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. First post, and not sure where to put it, so putting it here for now.

My stepfather picked up a device (a Victorla VTA-750B) and used it to convert an audio tape for a CD-R. It plays just fine in the Victrola, but VLC 3.0.11 (and my stepmother's Lennox Sound boombox) will not play it. Looking at the disc with File Explorer, the disc looks empty. The log follows (with names removed/replaced):

main debug: processing request item: cdda:///G:/, node: Playlist, skip: 0
    main debug: rebuilding array of current - root Playlist
    main debug: rebuild done - 7 items, index 6
    main debug: starting playback of new item
    main debug: resyncing on cdda:///G:/
    main debug: cdda:///G:/ is at 6
    main debug: creating new input thread
    main debug: Creating an input for 'cdda:///G:/'
    main debug: requesting art for new input thread
    main debug: using timeshift granularity of 50 MiB
    main debug: using timeshift path: C:\Users\________\AppData\Local\Temp
    main debug: `cdda:///G:/' gives access `cdda' demux `any' path `/G:/'
    main debug: looking for meta fetcher module matching "any": 1 candidates
    main debug: creating demux: access='cdda' demux='any' location='/G:/' file='G:\'
    main debug: looking for access_demux module matching "cdda": 15 candidates
    cdda debug: using winNT/2K/XP ioctl layer
    main debug: no access_demux modules matched
    main debug: creating access: cdda:///G:/
    main debug: (path: G:\)
    main debug: looking for access module matching "cdda": 26 candidates
    cdda debug: using winNT/2K/XP ioctl layer
    lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\_________\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\fe tcher
    lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher
    main debug: no meta fetcher modules matched
    main debug: looking for art finder module matching "any": 2 candidates
    lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\_________\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\ar t
    lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art
    lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\00_musicbrainz.lua c
    lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\00_musicbrainz.lua c
    lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\01_googleimage.lua c
    lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\01_googleimage.lua c
    lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\02_frenchtv.luac
    lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\02_frenchtv.luac
    lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\03_lastfm.luac
    lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\03_lastfm.luac
    main debug: no art finder modules matched
    qt debug: IM: Setting an input
    cdda error: could not read TOCHDR
    cdda error: no audio tracks found
    main debug: no access modules matched
    main debug: dead input
    qt debug: IM: Deleting the input
    main debug: changing item without a request (current 6/7)
    main debug: nothing to play
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I do not see any internal recording capability for this device so playback must have gone to a PC and the CD created from there.

So we need to know what software was used to create this CD.

Otherwise you have mis-quoted the device name and it is not a Vitrola VTA 750-B (I corrected your original name)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I do not see any internal recording capability for this device so playback must have gone to a PC and the CD created from there.

Otherwise you have mis-quoted the device name and it is not a Vitrola VTA 750-B (I corrected your original name)
    Yes, I accidentally transposed two letters. It's a Victrola (I'm used to typing the name 'Victor,' I guess) VTA 750-B. This is what I get when I look it up on Amazon, and that IS what it looks like. While I have no doubt that some kind of computer is, in fact, involved, I have no way of knowing what that is, since whatever it is internal to the device. All I can really tell is that there do not appear to be any files visible on the CD-R when I look at it in File Explorer, and neither the boombox nor VLC seem to be able to do anything with it.

Basically, my stepfather is trying to find a way to record audio tapes onto CDs so he can play them in his car. I *think* VLC may be able to do this natively, but I have no idea how. If we can figure out how this device works, they've also got some things on vinyl that they'll probably want to make copies of, and I'm not sure there are turntables that can be connected to a computer such that VLC can record from them.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Keldin145014 View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

Yes, I accidentally transposed two letters. It's a Victrola (I'm used to typing the name 'Victor,' I guess) VTA 750-B. This is what I get when I look it up on Amazon, and that IS what it looks like. While I have no doubt that some kind of computer is, in fact, involved, I have no way of knowing what that is, since whatever it is internal to the device. All I can really tell is that there do not appear to be any files visible on the CD-R when I look at it in File Explorer, and neither the boombox nor VLC seem to be able to do anything with it.

Basically, my stepfather is trying to find a way to record audio tapes onto CDs so he can play them in his car. I *think* VLC may be able to do this natively, but I have no idea how. If we can figure out how this device works, they've also got some things on vinyl that they'll probably want to make copies of, and I'm not sure there are turntables that can be connected to a computer such that VLC can record from them.
    Use IsoBuster or possibly IsoPuzzle to check the disk.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nut do ask your stepfather what he actually did to create the CD.

The device appears to allow for usb transfer to a PC but there would still have to be a program to create the CD. Nero, for example, allows you to make mp3 CDs. This is a non-standard format that normal CD players will refuse. A PC will probably need the Nero software to play such a disk.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Amazon link is interesting since the unit featured there has functions not in the manual that I read earlier.

It appears that the unit can record directly to a CD - no computer required. CD tracks do not appear in File Manager but the CD, if it is standard, will play in Windows Media Player. Never tried to play an audio CD in vlc.

If it is not standard then you might need, as davexnet points out, to rip the music track from the CD and create a standard audio CD from that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just for clarity I have just fired up vlc and select Open Disk >> Audio CD

Without further selection, the CD I put in would not play. I had to physically alter the track no drop-down selector and then hit play. Vlc, at times, does like to make things 'harder'
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would try MPC-HC.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Q&A at that amazon link suggest that it needs finalized.
    https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx13B2MSQVDAIP5/ref=ask_dp_dpmw_al_hza
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One would think that the device handles all proceedures. But if it is just doing a proprietory 'burn' - and pls do show me where even that is handled since my reading of the user manual said nothing - it, by its nature, is only for the device with no regard of other playback equipment.

I have, and am sure that all you good folk as well, have NEVER had to interject and 'finalise' an Audio CD during the creation process. Now it has been many a year since I last did one but there may have been an automatically created message/proceedure.
    Quote Quote