VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys, I use one computer for encoding my Bluray movies on a small size so I can get some backup, I use Handbrake and so far I use h264 NVenc selection but my grahic card doesnīt work anymore, I still have Intel QSV and all I wish to know if I encode some movie with Intel QSV (NVenc no more) the quality result will be the same?

I mean, You know bough a graphic card just por CUDA and just for encode is not funny buy if You says Intel QSV si wors Iīll see

Thank You in advance !!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It should have a similar quality to the Nvidia card. Both methods are hardware based encoding systems.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    It should have a similar quality to the Nvidia card. Both methods are hardware based encoding systems.
    Thank You, I used last year he CUDA and I can appreciate the vide quality, but before I use some times the Intel QSV and itīs great, now I just have the Intel QSV and for the quality I mean

So You say the Intel QSV is similar to CUDA ? I mean Iiīll get similar final similar video quality?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Which is better will depend in part on the generation of the devices. NVEnc on the latest generation Turing GPU will probably be better than first generation QSV from a Sandy Bridge CPU. The latest generation QSV on an Tiger Lake CPU will probably be better than NVEnc on a first generation Pascal GPU. CPU encoding with x264 is still king of h.264 encoding in terms of quality per bitrate.

Your profile here must be out of date. The Q6600 doesn't have QSV.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Which is better will depend in part on the generation of the devices. NVEnc on the latest generation Turing GPU will probably be better than first generation QSV from a Sandy Bridge CPU. The latest generation QSV on an Tiger Lake CPU will probably be better than NVEnc on a first generation Pascal GPU. CPU encoding with x264 is still king of h.264 encoding in terms of quality per bitrate.

Your profile here must be out of date. The Q6600 doesn't have QSV.
    I have and Asus h110m-e/m.2 motherboard with i3 7100 that somebody give to me as a present, this computer I use for encoding, like I said the EVGA GT 710 2gb DDR2 that just broke, I used this card fro encode with Handbrake using CUVA, so, now I just have Intel QSV option from an 1151 socket , Intel HD graphic 630 igpu from i3 7100

In Handbrake in Video codec betwin other options, H.264 Intel QSV appears

What do You think buddy?
    Quote Quote  
  6. The i3 7100 (Kaby Lake) QSV encoder should be better than the GT 710 CUDA encoder. If I remember correctly CUDA didn't even support b-frames, one of the major factors in high compression. If you still have the source for some of your old CUDA encodes you could repeat the encoding with QSV and compare for yourself.
    Last edited by jagabo; 4th Oct 2020 at 23:28.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The i3 7100 (Kaby Lake) QSV encoder should be better than the GT 710 CUDA encoder. If I remember correctly CUDA didn't even support b-frames, one of the major factors in high compression. If you still have the source for some of your old CUDA encodes you could repeat the encoding with QSV and compare for yourself.
    Thank You again for take Your time helping me, that You mention B frames is something I have to put manually in Handbrake or is allready just in there when I select QSV ?

And for some scenes, is there on Handbrake on filters option for five to the viideo some more detailed?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by BlurayHD View Post
    You mention B frames is something I have to put manually in Handbrake or is allready just in there when I select QSV ?
    This can vary by encoder and the selected preset. I believe all the QSV presets on your i3 7100 include b-frames. x264's ultrafast preset excludes b-frames, all its other presets include b-frames.
    Quote Quote  
  9. @OP:

Lucky you, I just ran a bunch of tests using my new Ice Lake laptop that I got rid of that appalling Win 10 Home version it came with ans installed Manjaro Linux, all tests were done with Shotcut, i encoded the same clip using various x264 settings and QSV H264 settings.

I'm very busy this week and will not be able to elaborate, but yoy can see the quality for yourself.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. I think both are going to be fine on similar settings. I think it might be worth it to save up for an RTX 20 series or RTX 30 series GPU if you're really serious about hardware-based encodes. Otherwise the software ones like x264 and x265 are going to produce better quality.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stonesfan187 View Post
    I think both are going to be fine on similar settings. I think it might be worth it to save up for an RTX 20 series or RTX 30 series GPU if you're really serious about hardware-based encodes. Otherwise the software ones like x264 and x265 are going to produce better quality.
    doesn't need to be a RTX 20, the Turing encoder starts with the 1650 Super/1660/Super
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    @OP:

Lucky you, I just ran a bunch of tests using my new Ice Lake laptop that I got rid of that appalling Win 10 Home version it came with ans installed Manjaro Linux, all tests were done with Shotcut, i encoded the same clip using various x264 settings and QSV H264 settings.

I'm very busy this week and will not be able to elaborate, but yoy can see the quality for yourself.
    Please buddy donīt get me wrong, I so appreciate it , all I wish to know if my Intel i3 7100, the QSV for encoding with Handbrake with better or similar quality that I get with GT 710 CUDA, if the final video quality result will be better or similar (not wors than CUDA ? )

You dont have idea how much I appreciate your dedication with me, so what do You think?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One more question because I donīt know if you undestand my question, in Handbrake it has de hability to get better human faces and other things with hes video filters? if do, could you tell me wich one? thank you again
    Quote Quote  
  14. Sharpen may help bring out a little detail. Deblocking reduces detail. Noise reduction reduces detail. In the end, using more bitrate (a lower RF values) keeps detail from disappearing while encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by BlurayHD View Post
    @OP:

Please buddy donīt get me wrong, I so appreciate it , all I wish to know if my Intel i3 7100, the QSV for encoding with Handbrake with better or similar quality that I get with GT 710 CUDA, if the final video quality result will be better or similar (not wors than CUDA ? )

You dont have idea how much I appreciate your dedication with me, so what do You think?
    I actually own a i3 7100 and have tested it extensively and posted my results on this forum, I firmly believe that the i3 7100 QSV is of better quality than the GT 710 CUDA, but I don't think you are using a CUDA encoder, you are using the built in NVENC chip built into that card, that card is a Kepler it has a hardware H264 encoder/decoder.
    Quote Quote  
  16. The first generation NVEnc encoders were very poor quality. The i3 7100's QSV is much better.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Here's another test sample, QSV h264 vs x264, using a sampling of Netflix test sources.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BlurayHD View Post
    @OP:

I actually own a i3 7100 and have tested it extensively and posted my results on this forum, I firmly believe that the i3 7100 QSV is of better quality than the GT 710 CUDA, but I don't think you are using a CUDA encoder, you are using the built in NVENC chip built into that card, that card is a Kepler it has a hardware H264 encoder/decoder.
    Thank You I did not that CUVA, so in few words QSV from 7100 es better
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The first generation NVEnc encoders were very poor quality. The i3 7100's QSV is much better.

Same, so we can say QSV is much better than that NVenc, I tell You, when I watch and test the video quality on my TV that previously I encoded with NVenc Iīm very
    satisfied, so considering that we can say this new encoders that I do with QSV obviously they should have more quality ? this question is just for confirm all this
    Quote Quote  
  20. Intel Quick Sync may be better with the equipment you're comparing (7th Gen i3 vs older NVIDIA card). But is there any reason you don't want to use x264 Very Fast? I read somewhere that x264 Very Fast was around the same speed as Intel Quick Sync but still produced a more transparent encode.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stonesfan187 View Post
    Intel Quick Sync may be better with the equipment you're comparing (7th Gen i3 vs older NVIDIA card). But is there any reason you don't want to use x264 Very Fast? I read somewhere that x264 Very Fast was around the same speed as Intel Quick Sync but still produced a more transparent encode.

Thank You guys, I find this ASUS GeForce GT 1030 2gb Phoenix Boost Graphics Card and I wish to know if the CUDA of this one is better than QSV?

https://www.ebay.com/p/2255309816?norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=21551-220875-27835-0&mkcid=2...oaAsj1EALw_wcB

Iīll appreciate your opinion
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All I wish and need to know if that GT 1030 CUDA is better than QSV from Intel i3 7100, if īll to reencode my Blurays for backup you know I like to get the best video quality as possible

I really hope you can tell me
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The first generation NVEnc encoders were very poor quality. The i3 7100's QSV is much better.
    Dear jagabo I quote you too (thank You stonesfan187) because I so need to know because in my country ths video card is the last on stock and thereīs no more, I so appreciatee if you can confirm the following ?

Thank You guys, I find this ASUS GeForce GT 1030 2gb Phoenix Boost Graphics Card and I wish to know if the CUDA of this one is better than QSV from Intel i3 7100 ?

https://www.ebay.com/p/2255309816?norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=21551-220875-27835-0&mkcid=2...oaAsj1EALw_wcB
    Quote Quote  
  24. According to Nvidia the GT 1030 doesn't support NVEnc.

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix

Though I've seen a few claims it does under Linux.
    Last edited by jagabo; 11th Oct 2020 at 19:35.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    According to Nvidia the GT 1030 doesn't support NVEnc.

Jagabo I so appreciate your time, you know, that is the last video card and I really need if you are sure that video card is better than QSV or not? Please donīt get me wrong my english is not excelent Iīm not have any bad intention
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    According to Nvidia the GT 1030 doesn't support NVEnc.

Dear Jagabo is the same?

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/PH-GT1030-O2G/specifications/

There says CUDA Core 384, I donīt understand if really has CUDA if the 384 is better than QSV...etc I repeat I really appreciate if you help me to clear it all
    Quote Quote  
  27. Nvideo no longer supports video encoding using the CUDA cores. All their encoding now is with the dedicated video encoder section built into the cards. I don't know if you can use the old CUDA encoder software anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nvideo no longer supports video encoding using the CUDA cores. All their encoding now is with the dedicated video encoder section built into the cards. I don't know if you can use the old CUDA encoder software anymore.
    Jagabo again please excuse me my english, and I have to ask you for you apology because I was confused and I notice on another computer with another video card, the encoding I used was Nvidia NVenc (both are same?) I donīt know if it means something, if it change something and the 1030 is great for encoding and better than QSV? , I donīt know if the 710 GT was better than QSV too?

Man,if you could get me clear all that? I just not know what to say thank you, I hope you can help me once again with all this mess
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I donīt know if help to you but, so far I use Nvidia NVenc from 710 GT for encoding the video and when I tried on tv was excelent, anyway I hope you could clear me all from last post )thank you buddy)
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by BlurayHD View Post
    I donīt know if help to you but, so far I use Nvidia NVenc from 710 GT for encoding the video and when I tried on tv was excelent, anyway I hope you could clear me all from last post )thank you buddy)
    What type of encoding settings are you using? I would think x264 would still produce a more transparent encode at about the same bitrate as a hardware-accelerated H265 encode. I've noticed that even the fastest x264/x265 encodes still manage to do a better job than the hardware-accelerated ones.
    Quote Quote