VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. First of all, I opened a post in Superuser about it : https://superuser.com/questions/1590381/how-to-reencode-a-file-from-a-certain-point-wi...g-the-previous. Unfortunately there wasn't any answer until now, that's way I am creating this one. If cross posting is not allowed, fell free to delete it. Second, I am not sure if this topic belongs to this section of the message board. It is about both re encode and split a video, so if one wants to move it, fine by me.

Without any further delays, my problem is that I want to re encode a video, but only from a certain spot. When I use a normal ffmpeg command that I use to re encode videos, with the addition of parameters to tell the initial re encode spot, it starts to re encode from the beginning, not from that point. The only difference from not having parameters to indicate the starting point, is that when I do so, it only starts to rewrite the re encoded from that spot.

This is the command that I use:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.avi -c:a libmp3lame -b:a 48k -ac 1 -vf scale=640:-2 -r 30 -sws_flags bilinear -c:v mpeg4 -vtag xvid -q:v 8 -map 0:0 -map 0:2 -ss 2:48:00  -t 2:48:00  /media/New\ Volume/output.avi
    When I do so, ffmpeg keeps saying
    Code:
    Last message repeated 1 times
    frame=    0 fps=0.0 q=0.0 size=      10kB time=00:00:00.00 bitrate=N/A speed=   0x
    until it reachs 2:48:00

So I do not know how to solve the issue. Actually, I DO know how to solve it. All I have to do is to split the video in two parts and then send ffmpeg to re encode the second one. But, unfortunately, I do not have enough free disk space to do so.

So what I need is a solution that tells ffmpeg to star to reencode from that point, not to start to re encode from the beginning and THEN starts to write the new re encoded file from that spot!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    buy another hard drive if that's the issue. it's just going to keep getting worse as your h.d. free space will keep getting lower. i have 7 installed h.d.'s and 2 external removable.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote