VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Call me fished in and fileted, but was VCDHelp, really VHSHelp in the past?

A quick check on archive.org brings back memories as it shows VCDHelp, SVCDHelp and DVDHelp, redirected to DVDRHelp.com, which I vaguely remember. But I think when I came back it 2007 it was already Videohelp?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a youngster so I only have a vague recollection of the late 90's when I started to do VHS capturing. I 'stumbled' across vcdhelp back then but I do not recall it having a forum just some information. But I could be wrong (usually am) about that.

Am I also correct in my memory that there was a change of hosts between vcdhelp and later incarnations since I also found an old discussion thread that vcdhelp 'vanished' in the early 2000's.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yea I remember it being vcdhelp when I first came here not so sure about vhshelp. Can't remember when the forums came about but my first post is from 2005 so definitely been around for that long probably longer as I don't think I posted for a while but I do remember I originally used it mainly for the software guides and tool downloads.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nope.
    vcdhelp started in '99.
    I'd been to the site some, but may not have registered here until it was dvdrhelp already.

And have you been to vhshelp.com recently?
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 2nd Oct 2020 at 08:21.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    But I think when I came back it 2007 it was already Videohelp?
    Yes, in 2007 this forum already was named Videohelp
    I joined during June or July of that year, under a different username of course.
    I first heard of Videohelp in 2004 but only in 2006 I started perusing it.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 2nd Oct 2020 at 09:08. Reason: disambiguation
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  6. I remember VCDhelp with great affection.

I still have the VCD ripper I was using back then.

I was buying vcd's from asia using my fabulous new paypal account.

Software from this website helped me rip them to my massive 4GB hard drive

I had just bought my first computer, (late 1999/ early 2000) with a pirate copy of XP, a monitor the size of a washing machine, and dial up pay per minute.
    Last edited by super8rescue; 2nd Oct 2020 at 13:08.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Nope.
    vcdhelp started in '99.
    I'd been to the site some, but may not have registered here until it was dvdrhelp already.

And have you been to vhshelp.com recently?
    You cheeky blue monkey! LOL! TY!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Back in my day I had to hand crank to start the computer and use a windmill for my kinoscope!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found the original VCDhelp (aka VCDhelper) page from archive.org, 08/18/00:

[Attachment 55163 - Click to enlarge]

Baldrick, we missed your 20th Anniversary! Belated Congratulations!

And this is what I remember when I was first here in 2004-2005:

[Attachment 55165 - Click to enlarge]

Wow...Thank You to Baldrick, all the mods and all the great regular members, present and past for such a great site!

I'm not one for sticking around and thought of leaving a few times, but have [stayed] for the great info and comradery, once again, thank you all!

Edit: FYI, this stroll down memory lane was prompted [by] my admittedly harsh reply to a poster in another thread where he/she criticized VCDhelp saying they would never post there. *SIGH*
    Last edited by lingyi; 2nd Oct 2020 at 13:37.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Edit: FYI, this stroll down memory lane was prompted my admittedly harsh reply to a poster in another thread where he/she criticized VCDhelp saying they would never post there. *SIGH*
    I was merely stating fact, that I had no interest in the focus of the original vcdhelp and would never have posted there (FYI even after the name change to videohelp, it was still often referred to as vcdhelp everywhere else.).

More recently I checked out videohelp for software, and felt I could post here. Incidently the main page no longer mentions vcd.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fair enough. I apologize for my tirade.

There are three things you don't mess with. A man's wife, his dog and his favorite website!
    Quote Quote