VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I have a retail DVD that freezes at various intervals
    I thought maybe remuxing the main title and replacing the original VTS with this one would do the trick,
    but Muxman refused to do it: "Multiplex operation failed. Probaly caused by excessive bitrate"
    I checked the bitrate with Bitrate Viewer. It spikes at more than 10,000 kbps (see image below)

I decided to dust off DVD Rebuilder with CCE, which I hadn't used in a lifetime and completely forgot how to use.
    However, I couldn't find a way to just tweak the bitrate
    I read about he "hidden" option and added "max_bitrate=8500" in rebuilder.ini, but it had no effect and the bitrate remained as before.

I then tried AVStoDVD.
    Unfortunately the program accepts only three audio tracks, and I have four.
    Otherwise the results was rather satisfying and it played without any freezing.

Would someone please advise how to lower the bitrate of the video, as little intrusively as possible, and leave everything else untouched?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-09-28 002126.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	55107  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The max permissible DVD video bitrate is 9.8Mbps. If the diagnosis is to be believed as-is, it it too high. The only way to fix that would be to re-encode at a lower bitrate (either that clip, or better yet its parent clip).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. DVDStyler allows up to 8 audio tracks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your replies
    videobruger, do you know what encoder DVDStyler uses?
    I'd like the reencoding process to have as little impact on the quality as possible, which is why my first thought went to CCE
    I don't need anything fancy since i already have the DVD structure with the menus.
    I just need a good encoder that will lower the bitrate in the most efficient way, and how to use it.
    I will have a look at DVDStyler anyway. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. do you know what encoder DVDStyler uses?
    It uses ffmpeg. You can use 2-pass.

You could also use CCE to generate a DVD compliant video and mux the audio tracks with MKVToolniix and use it as input to DVDStyler without any encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by skaleton View Post
    Thank you for your replies
    videobruger, do you know what encoder DVDStyler uses?
    I'd like the reencoding process to have as little impact on the quality as possible, which is why my first thought went to CCE
    I don't need anything fancy since i already have the DVD structure with the menus.
    I just need a good encoder that will lower the bitrate in the most efficient way, and how to use it.
    I will have a look at DVDStyler anyway. Thanks
    Perhaps try ReJig or DVD shrink

DVD Styler uses FFmpeg for it's mpeg-2
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    videobruger, CCE was my first choice. As I said i haven't used it in a long time.
    When I open it directly and try to add files, m2v files do not show in the list and VOB files do not load in the program
    Any advice would be welcome

ReJig and DVD shrink are transcoders

I have installed DVDStyler and started building the DVD
    There seems to be an issue with the audio streams. The demuxed files show a delay of 120ms but DVDStyler will not accepts a delay beyond 16.19ms
    Quote Quote  
  8. Any advice would be welcome
    Use an Avisynth script.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by skaleton;2596794

[url=https://www.videohelp.com/software/ReJig
    ReJig[/url] and DVD shrink are transcoders
    What are you implying by that? The quality is not as good?
    it uses compressed domain transcoding to requantize the data. It's quite good when
    the amount of size reduction is small.

Might be interesting to do a comparison with a 20% reduction using a re-encode (in HCenc for example)
    and similar reduction in ReJig

What version of CCE are you using? I remember the older versions were quite limited
    in what they would accept for source, I don't think they could accept an Avisynth script
    Quote Quote  
  10. I don't think they could accept an Avisynth script
    I was thinking SP3.
    Quote Quote