VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have this https://www.drivingschoolsupplies.ie/store/p249/Official-Driver-Theory-Test-CD-Rom-for...and-Buses.html which I bought

It needs the CD rom in the drive for the program to run even though it is installed or part of it is. Is there anyway to rip it so I can use while not having CD in drive

I made an iso of it but it says it needs the original disk to run. I may want to use in a computer with no cd drive
    Last edited by David Banner; 28th Sep 2020 at 09:38.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Did you mount the *.iso file in a virtual cd drive like Daemon Tools lite or Virtual Clone drive?
    If you have Windows 10, rightclick the iso and click on "Mount".

If that does not work, download ImgBurn and create an image file from the disc, but not *.iso, instead select *.img
    If read errors occur, which are not true read errors, select in options to ignore read errors, there was a copy protection which worked that way:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SafeDisc#Version_History
    Simple to check if the disc is SafeDisc, if the files which are listed on that wikipedia page are on the CD, just for copy protection.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    Did you mount the *.iso file in a virtual cd drive like Daemon Tools lite or Virtual Clone drive?
    If you have Windows 10, rightclick the iso and click on "Mount".

If that does not work, download ImgBurn and create an image file from the disc, but not *.iso, instead select *.img
    If read errors occur, which are not true read errors, select in options to ignore read errors, there was a copy protection which worked that way:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SafeDisc#Version_History
    Simple to check if the disc is SafeDisc, if the files which are listed on that wikipedia page are on the CD, just for copy protection.
    I made a .daa in power iso, no option for .img
    It opens but gives a maybe illegal copy warning

"This product is equipped with counterfeit protection technology designed to prevent the copying of the original discs. Copyright theft is an offence and damages the quality of future software production. If the CD you have been provided with is not genuine, you will see a warning dialog and the software will then exit.If you believe that the message is incorrect, contact technical support for advice. "

I bought the disk

i do not see the wiki files on it but has some protection
    Quote Quote  
  4. download ImgBurn and create an image file from the disc, but not *.iso, instead select *.img
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    download ImgBurn and create an image file from the disc, but not *.iso, instead select *.img
    Any other program that has open candy
    Quote Quote  
  6. You can circumvent the installation of adware. So no problem.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    You can circumvent the installation of adware. So no problem.
    i am not using anything with adware. Wouldn't support any one who would put adware in a program. Trying virtual cd
    Quote Quote  
  8. Older version is without opencandy and will do the job also
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    Older version is without opencandy and will do the job also
    where is it?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by David Banner View Post
    Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    where is it?
    I think the version from this site is clean. Open Candy is only a factor during the install.
    Just disconnect from the Internet before running setup
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Originally Posted by David Banner View Post
    Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    where is it?
    I think the version from this site is clean. Open Candy is only a factor during the install.
    Just disconnect from the Internet before running setup
    It is changed adware here and no one really know how it works. so i am not using it

Virtual cd made an image but it knows it is a copy
    Last edited by David Banner; 28th Sep 2020 at 15:25.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Did you read post 11?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    Did you read post 11?
    saw it now was offline for awhile.It does not say which version is clean.What makes you think it will be any different? The program knows when it is a copy and exits
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you are going to cheat on the online test i certainly don't want you legally on the road in a big rig. pay the 20 bucks for the disc if you need that much help...
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  15. Did you not read it. I have the disk. I bought it. I want it to work without having the cd in the drive . Wouldn't like to meet you on the road if your eyes are that bad. And it's not an online test and not cheating. Don't make any false allegations about me. It is how it works. Study disk. Go to center for the test. You would know if you read it.

Even if i did cheat it's none of your business. I am not under your authority
    Last edited by David Banner; 29th Sep 2020 at 01:16.
    Quote Quote  
  16. ImgBurn 2.5.0.0 is free of any adware. Since you only need it for that one CD, no need for searching any further.
    Simply do what I explained in post 2, you can also do what is described in post 11 and use 2.5.8.0 it is up to you.

In the future I will think twice before I give any advice to anybody. Too much hassle and trying to explain why so and no other way and the best of all - NO gratitude
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is probably a VERY good reason why the CD MUST be present in the drive when the software runs.

I am not pointing fingers at anyone before the OP throws a hissy. But imagine a group of potential truckers getting hold of one copy and sharing that.

As for ad-ware being present in any software, if people just took the time to read each installation screen and not blindly click 'next' then no ad-ware would be installed.

And as for lack of gratitude I have experienced that more than once. Even a simple 'Thank You' is missing more often than not.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    ImgBurn 2.5.0.0 is free of any adware. Since you only need it for that one CD, no need for searching any further.
    Simply do what I explained in post 2, you can also do what is described in post 11 and use 2.5.8.0 it is up to you.

In the future I will think twice before I give any advice to anybody. Too much hassle and trying to explain why so and no other way and the best of all - NO gratitude
    OK thanks. i will try that one you should know there are many posts where people say they do not know excactly how it runs in imgburn. And i do not support people who foist adware in principle.it is a scummy thing to do

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  19. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Lets see...imgburn is a great free program and you think just because adware is added that can be unchecked during install is scummy?Try installing other software that kills your system.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Lets see...imgburn is a great free program and you think just because adware is added that can be unchecked during install is scummy?Try installing other software that kills your system.
    yes i do. and if you knew about img burn you would know it is not that easy to stop the adware. Google it if you want
    Quote Quote  
  21. Did it work? The creation of the img file and mounting that?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    Did it work? The creation of the img file and mounting that?
    No . It makes the image but it will not open. It gives a message "this product may not be genune, it failed an internal check." The disk i made it from is a genuine disk and I paid for it. I will be taking the test in a centre and paying for that too

This is about trying to use it on a computer without a CD drive

Thanks for your help. I did not mean to be ungrateful but I stay away from adware
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Possibly the disk was authored with some quirky sectors. When the program runs it tries to read these sectors and if that read fails then it allows you to proceed.

A copy of the disk jumps the quirky sector. Now when the program run it tries to read the sector. Now the read succeeds and immediately puts up a red flag that the disk is not a genuine one.

No CD drive on the computer ? An external CD drive will be the quickest solution if it has a usb port. Otherwise what sort of 'computer' is this ?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is a form of copy protection extremely common 15-25 years ago.
    Not sure if there's a way around it.

All those years ago there were at least a couple of well-known websites that were famous for cracking
    the main .exe file just so they would work without the disk in the drive
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    This is a form of copy protection extremely common 15-25 years ago.
    Not sure if there's a way around it.

All those years ago there were at least a couple of well-known websites that were famous for cracking
    the main .exe file just so they would work without the disk in the drive
    was it safedisc? I was reading that now the emulators won't work
    it has a one kb file called disc.id
    Quote Quote