VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

I try to capture VHS cassette, but stuck with this wird digital video distortion problem (also there is an anoying shooting sounds )

Here is a video sample Type1.mkv and Type2.mkv (I capture in Type1 and Type2 with similar effect)
    Also attached how looks VCR source (VCR source.mp4)

My configuration is:
    Philips VR910 -> Panasonic NV-DS38 -> Firewire card (VIA VT6306L)
    also trying this configuration with same bad result:
    PHILIPS DVP3340V -> Panasonic NV-DS38 -> Firewire card (VIA VT6306L)

Also trying two different software (WinDV and Sony Vegas) with no luck

What I can change in my configuration to avoid this problems (as in sample.jpg) ?
    I can buy and try other FW card (on TI chipset), but is there a point ?

Please help
    David
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sample.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	55025  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Try:
    S-VHS deck with line TBC -> S-Video cable -> capture device +/- full frame TBC -> USB Cable -> capture PC
    This is one of the recipes that happen to work reliably.
    * - full frame TBC means try without full frame TBC first and if you have problems a + full frame TBC is a must, this depends on the condition of the tape being captured and how good the capture card is.

Alternatively you can try:

S-VHS deck with line TBC -> S-Video cable +/- BNC Y/C to S-Video adapter -> Professional capture device built in full frame TBC from the 90's/2000's -> SDI cable -> SDI to USB3 adapter -> capture PC, this works rock solid.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for response
    I believe your solution will give me much better quality but for me this is the last resort because it is too expensive (to many hardware to change)

May be some one have similar problem and can confirm that change FW card (VIA chip to Ti) will help (makes video and audio any better) ?

Or maybe there is a problem with conversion in Panasonic NV-DS38 ?
    Or maybe not, because on camera LCD video looks normal (as you can see on video VCR source.mp4)

Generally I'm "satisfied" with VHS quality - only want to mitigate this digital distorion effect (it appears only in moments where tape is in worse condition)

David
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by intelx View Post
    I believe your solution will give me much better quality but for me this is the last resort because it is too expensive (to many hardware to change)
    Buy it, use it, resell it. This is a project purchase, not a forever purchase.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Get a Firewire card with a Texas Instruments chipset, not VIA.
    Quote Quote