VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My new Samsung Q70T TV will not display VobSubs. I have two older Samsung TVs (6300 & 6500 series) that do display VobSubs. That’s the reason I bought another Samsung when one of the older ones developed a flaw.

I build all my MKV videos the same way, Video+Audio+VobSub+SRT. I add the SRT as a way of preserving the original text. All the VobSubs are created with SubtitleEdit. I build all my MKVs with an old version of MKVMergeGUI (v7.7.0). I have used V49 but it did not make any difference. When I go into ‘Options’ on the video and select ‘Subtitles’ it shows that there are two subtitles present, VobSub being the default since it’s first.

Now the confusing part. On a few (two actually) of the videos only the first subtitle line displays in VobSub format. After that nothing. I then have to select the SRT subs. I have gone through the TV options to see if something need to set but nothing jumps out.

I have searched the WEB looking for answers but have yet found nothing. I don’t know if I’ll find an answer but I know there is a lot of knowledge in these forums so I thought I would throw this out there and perhaps get an insight to a possible solution.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What happens if the MKV file contains only one subtitle stream and it is in VobSub format?
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    What happens if the MKV file contains only one subtitle stream and it is in VobSub format?
    i tried that and got the same results. I even made some changes with my SubtitleEdit settings and no change. I can put the flash drive in my old TVs and the vobSubs will display.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought maybe the VOBSub needed to be the only subtitle in order to work correctly.

In the past some TVs needed subtitles to be in a separate file in the same folder with the MKV but I looked at the manual and your TV's built-in media player apparently requires VOBSubs to be multiplexed into the MKV. The trouble shooting guide says "If subtitles are not displayed correctly, check the encoding setting" but It looks like you have already done that. I don't know anything else to try.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote