VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Completely predictable, by the way

Windows 10 upgrades are rarely useful, say IT admins.
    A majority of admins surveyed this summer say Microsoft's oft ballyhooed twice-a-year upgrades for Windows 10 aren't really worth the hassle.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3575364/windows-10-upgrades-are-rarely-useful-sa...it-admins.html
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  2. Th same can really be said for most OSes, 2k, XP, Win 7, Linux distros, BSD'd, OSX. Often time in computing you are better off going with the mantra "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Microsoft also go with "If it is broke, still don't fix it"

Why release all these upgrades when they haven't even finished the initial release, especially the UI (it's unfinished and all over the place).
    Quote Quote  
  4. I see more issues in clients' PCs as a result of the poxy, thrice-damned Win10 updates than anything else these days. And how they think it's acceptable for some of their customers to have a fully compliant & working PC one day but, on the following day - after a poxy update - their PC's graphics/audio/touchpad etc. etc. etc. is suddenly no longer compatible? Let alone the pi$$-poor programming & testing that far too many of these updates apparently suffer from that can cause far too many boot problems etc. for people . . . !??! Frankly, I'm amazed that that M$ hasn't been hit by multiple class actions across the planet as a result of this ridiculous and HUGELY inept "Service"! Shoddy & disgraceful , Microsoft.
    "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have auto-update turned off of everything.
    I always wait a good week or two before updating. Especially if the readme only says something like "bug fixes"....

I will only install immediately if it clearly states it fixes a problem I am currently having.

Redundancy testing seem to be a lost art...

True story: We were being forced to upgrade to Windows 10 at work a few years ago. A guy asked if we wanted to go to lunch the day before we had to upgrade and I told him to wait while I triggered the upgrade. He said: "Isn't that risky waiting so long?" I said "Nope; by now they will have worked out all the bugs!"...
    The upgrade only took 20 minutes as opposed to 4 hours for him. He did on day 1 of the upgrade period...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. They may even get quoted.
    Quote Quote  
  7. IT Admins are operational and, at that level, they may feel that to be true. BUT they aren't designers, system integrators, or computer engineers, so their perspective is limited. As someone who started with MS DOS 3.1, as an intern in 1982, then programmer, UI designer, systems analyst, developer, manager, executive and on and on, what Microsoft has done is simply amazing. The biggest challenge for ANY software company, is the stupid, under trained, or uneducated user, as well as the speed with which technologies are changing, then and now. Show some respect ...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Respect where respect is due. M$ has managed to **** up every Win10 update in the past 3 years !

Leaving auto-updates on is indeed uneducated (ie people would turn them off if they knew how to).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    These posts make me laugh.

Managing 1200+ Windows machines, and if you follow good protocol (allow critical & security updates immediately, and postpone feature updates til after it has hit a patch or 2) has allowed me & my team to keep them running smoothly and spritely.

To the naysayers, I say, "Nay!".

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by butterw View Post
    Respect where respect is due. M$ has managed to **** up every Win10 update in the past 3 years !

Leaving auto-updates on is indeed uneducated (ie people would turn them off if they knew how to).
    Couldn't agree more.

Originally Posted by MarkSM View Post
    IT Admins are operational and, at that level, they may feel that to be true. BUT they aren't designers, system integrators, or computer engineers, so their perspective is limited. As someone who started with MS DOS 3.1, as an intern in 1982, then programmer, UI designer, systems analyst, developer, manager, executive and on and on, what Microsoft has done is simply amazing. The biggest challenge for ANY software company, is the stupid, under trained, or uneducated user, as well as the speed with which technologies are changing, then and now. Show some respect ...
    The biggest challenge for any user whose I.Q. is greater than 100 is manage to respect code-monkeys who assume most-users /all-users are /must-be complete idiots, period.
    Code-monkeys who also write error messages which very-often do not mean what they say.
    Code-monkeys who also wrote Windows ME, Windows Vista and Windows 8
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    These posts make me laugh.

Managing 1200+ Windows machines, and if you follow good protocol (allow critical & security updates immediately, and postpone feature updates til after it has hit a patch or 2) has allowed me & my team to keep them running smoothly and spritely.

To the naysayers, I say, "Nay!".

Scott
    Machines that are middle of the road, like bulk Dell (other brands too) purchases for your University environment with minimal additional expansion cards or not much more than what is needed to input data into excel. These types of machines are usually the first to have any problems fixed in this situation. Simply due to their market share. You even said you wait to push patches, which means you know they are pushing bugged software otherwise why wait?

It does not really help that Microsoft has done away with in house testing on any machines. The public is the tester. Along with their AI to try to predict problems in the install process.
    Quote Quote  
  12. In large to mid sized corporate environments where you are pushing down a certified platform from 2nd level engineering in house, the software has been thoroughly tested prior to certification. There are NO screwups. Retail is a horse of a different color. Although HP, Dell, Lenovo tests their machines prior to retail distribution, MS cannot control EVERY machine that is purchased at Bestbuy, or made from scratch by a hobbyist, and then "tweaked" by the owner, over and over. I would never expect every update to go 100% on every machine. That expectation is laughable.
    Quote Quote