VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and copy Ultra HD Blu-rays and DVDs! Or rip iTunes movies and music! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I just installed a PCI-E firewire IEEE 1394 three port fire wire controller card for a desktop pc. I am using it to transfer my mini dv tapes but I don't have the software for it and have no idea what software to use. Appreciate any help for someone who knows nothing about the subject. I just want to transfer them to a MP4 file.

Thank you,

Cathy
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WinDV. No muss, no fuss.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Scenaiyzer Live is another option for DV capture. Once you have completed the capture, which will be an AVI file containing DV video and PCM audio, you can convert to an MP4 file containing H.264 video and AAC audio.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    (Hope that card uses a TI chip!)

You don't want to transfer them straight to mp4, unless you never will revisit those clips again, and ONLY want mp4 from now till forever, and won't be doing any fine editing of the material.
    You'd want to transfer, like normal, to DV-AVI (usually Type2). Then trim & edit, overlay, etc. Then save the master as either DV-AVI also (if you only did trim/edit) or some kind of Lossless/near-Lossless (if you did overlay, etc as well). Then convert THAT to mp4.

Then archive the works (original tapes, DV-AVI transfers, Master Output, and converted mp4). Oh, and it's also a good thing to save the EDL/Project of the edit timeline, as well as the converter parameters. Then you can always easily go back to any stage in the process and pick up again from there, should you need to.

Happy capturing!

Scott
    Quote Quote