VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey everyone

I recently invested in a 8mm camcorder, to be specific its the SONY CCD-TRV25.
    I recorded a full tapes worth of footage and am now trying to digitalize it.
    I have a AV to USB 2.0 converter, and I am using OBS to record it.
    Everything works great except I can get the converter to recognize any audio from the camera.
    The problem I faced was the camera has a mono jack, but the converter has a white and red RCA audio cords.
    I ordered a RCA cord off amazon that goes from white and red and puts it into one cord.
    Still I cant get the audio off the camera.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by smoneydrains View Post
    Hey everyone

I recently invested in a 8mm camcorder, to be specific its the SONY CCD-TRV25.
    I recorded a full tapes worth of footage and am now trying to digitalize it.
    I have a AV to USB 2.0 converter, and I am using OBS to record it.
    Everything works great except I can get the converter to recognize any audio from the camera.
    The problem I faced was the camera has a mono jack, but the converter has a white and red RCA audio cords.
    I ordered a RCA cord off amazon that goes from white and red and puts it into one cord.
    Still I cant get the audio off the camera.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks
    I came across something similar using an Easycap AV TO USB2.0 device. Make sure when drivers are installed the audio driver is also done.

In OBS in Settings->Audio, select the device called (Microphone AV TO USB2.0) - see first attachment

You also don't need any adaptors, OBS can convert the mono signal from one of the rca jacks to "stereo" just by ticking the Mono section in Advanced Audio Properties - see second attachment.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	obs audio device.PNG
Views:	127
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	54993  

Click image for larger version

Name:	obs audio mono.PNG
Views:	56
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	54994  

Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    OBS is a screen capture not a video capture, Try a proper video capture software that capture the video from its source not from the graphic card.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have all those settings applied but still it doesn't pick up any audio, the audio plays off of the camera as it plays back but nothing on the computer.
    Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You've got the wrong adapter, or are connecting it the wrong way.

that cam has only 1 RCA CVBS (composite) analog video out and 1 RCA mono audio line out. If you need 2 channels, you can get a "Y" adapter, but according to your story it sounds like you could be using a reverse Y adapter.
    First: Completely ignore the colors for the moment.
    The Video one should be the upper RCA jack on the back of the camera. Plug one of the RCA plugs into it - ANY COLOR. Then take the other end of that same color, and plug it into the "Video"- or "Composite"- or "CVBS"- labelled (or possibly Yellow-colored) RCA jack on your capture device. DONE with the video.
    The Audio one should be the lower RCA jack on the back of the camera. Plug the remaining plug (the opposite color of the one you already used) into that jack.

Now, on the other end of that color's line you can choose to either plug it into 1 or the other of the 2 remaining RCA jacks (probably Labelled "Left(L)"- or "Right(R)"- or colored in the usual Red & White/Black). You can swap and plug into the other one.
    Try one of those first. You should get a capture with video and with sound on one of the 2 channels (either L or R). Try the other one and make sure that both channels can capture properly.

If they can, and you're OK with that setup, you're done.
    If they can, and if you still don't want only one channel of the 2, THEN you can add the Y adapter. It will have to be a 1x Female -> 2x Male RCA adapter which will do what is known as passive splitting.
    That will give you the same (mono) signal on both channels. It will not give you stereo, as that camera cannot offer any way to get stereo out of the camera (even if it could record that way, which I think it can't).

Capture again. It should be working the way you want now.

IF those original (just above) caps came back with one or more trials that had NO audio (prior to adding the Y adapter), there is a problem with your A/V connection cable and you will need to replace it. It's cheap and you should be able to substitute any ole' stereo RCA cables.

IF you are STILL not getting audio, it sounds like it's a setting on your camera that is wrong.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by smoneydrains View Post
    I have all those settings applied but still it doesn't pick up any audio, the audio plays off of the camera as it plays back but nothing on the computer.
    Any ideas?

Thanks!
    OK sorry, you won't hear the audio through your PC speakers, but it should be in the recording... you need to go "Advanced Audio Properties" and select "Monitor and Output" under Audio Monitoring as in the attachment.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	obs audio monitor.PNG
Views:	153
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	54998  

Quote Quote