VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and copy Ultra HD Blu-rays and DVDs! Or rip iTunes movies and music! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    There is a very interesting line in the release notes for the latest version of Hauppauge Capture

• Correctly showing 30fps or 25fps for interlaced sources

Well you are attempting to capture VHS which by its very nature is interlaced (unless there is indeed a setting on your vcr to override this at output). Yet your screen showed 60 fps. So it all seems to point to a bad install.
    Quote Quote  
  2. nice info
    Rajagaple adalah salah satu daftar situs judi balak play terpercaya dengan deposit via pulsa di indonesia yang sudah melayani ribuan member yang bermain..
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    There is a very interesting line in the release notes for the latest version of Hauppauge Capture

• Correctly showing 30fps or 25fps for interlaced sources

Well you are attempting to capture VHS which by its very nature is interlaced (unless there is indeed a setting on your vcr to override this at output). Yet your screen showed 60 fps. So it all seems to point to a bad install.
    I have about a dozen of the previous versions of the software downloaded. I will remove (and use their HCWClear utility) and install one of them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well. my friend, you appear to have failed the significance of my post.

The line appears to be a 'feature' of the latest version, which you appear to be running. Installing an earlier version is hardly going to 'fix' that.

But so many version with so many 'fixes' only tells me one thing. Something that Johnmeyer already eluded to >> this software is buggy.

Have you tried capturing with other software such as vdub ? At least to see if a preview screen looks correct.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Have you tried capturing with other software such as vdub ? At least to see if a preview screen looks correct.
    The HD-PVR 2 uses an internal encoder chip to encode video and audio instead of software encoding so Virtualdub or Virtualdub2 won't work as alternative software. Both of them require capture devices to supply uncompressed video.

Unfortunately the free third-party options for capture with the Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 are limited. Below are the ones that I know about:

NextPVR will work with the HD-PVR 2 and will record interlaced video as interlaced but it is software for recording TV and probably too much work to set up just for testing.

OBS Studio (Open Broadcaster Software Studio) is a free alternative to Hauppauge's bundled software but I if I recall correctly, it will always deinterlace and re-encode interlaced input because it was originally developed for the purpose of streaming gameplay. In case I am wrong about compulsory de-interlacing, the following page includes some setup instructions for using OBS with the Hauppauge HD-PVR 2: https://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/support_obs.html#retro Hopefully they are not out of date.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 23rd Sep 2020 at 11:56.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now this will probably sound naff but if the unit does the encoding how can the software control the bitrate, downscale or even reduce frame rate ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Now this will probably sound naff but if the unit does the encoding how can the software control the bitrate, downscale or even reduce frame rate ?
    USB has two way communictaion. The driver sends commands to the capture device. The device does what it's told to do.

You can use GraphEdit or GraphStudio to capture from almost any device. Figuring out how to set up the capture graph can be a little difficult. It's usually some thing like CrossBar -> Capture -> AV Muxer -> File Writer.
    Last edited by jagabo; 23rd Sep 2020 at 12:26.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Well. my friend, you appear to have failed the significance of my post.

The line appears to be a 'feature' of the latest version, which you appear to be running. Installing an earlier version is hardly going to 'fix' that.

But so many version with so many 'fixes' only tells me one thing. Something that Johnmeyer already eluded to >> this software is buggy.

I run the same version of the Hauppauge software and drivers on my laptop without an issue. If there's a feature in the latest version, why wouldn't an earlier version fix it? Software is buggy, but works on my laptop.

I did try OBS, but that seems to rely on Hauppauge Capture to control the relevant settings.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I decided to contact Hauppauge. I should have done this on Monday (their support is closed on the weekend). This is sending me in too many directions, but I'm back to my original thinking that there's some conflict between Hauppauge and my video/graphics card on my PC that I can't find. It might be closer to the PC's hardware than drivers because it didn't go away after a fresh install of Windows with Windows Update (and internet) taken out of the picture.

I did note a few other things I can try just to see if it's a problem with the VCR or the composite video in general.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by dyhrdmet View Post
    I'm back to my original thinking that there's some conflict between Hauppauge and my video/graphics card on my PC that I can't find.
    Your graphics card has nothing to do with the video capture. The compressed video that arrives at the USB port is split into two streams. One is muxed, unchanged, into the file that's being saved, the other goes to the video card for display.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And with the same video glitch ?

But if you have installed these previous versions before then maybe you did not try capturing VHS with these. By all means try any (or even all) of them.

But it may be easier to address why the laptop can not capture at length rather than go around in circles. A TOTAL clean install of an OS with no non-essential additional hardware such as scanner etc. is a drastic measure but if the problem is still there then the fault does appear to be with the GPU and the release notes even mention, but do not go in to detail, issues with some graphics cards.

To paraphrase what Johnmeyer said "I am out of ideas" apart from one. I assume you registered your product with Hauppauge. Surely they have some technical support and might have seen such an issue before.

But you are also certain that there is not some obscure setting on the vcr that could have screwed the whole thing up bearing in mind, if I read you correctly this same PC and capture combo handles your tv box just fine. But the connection from that is component not composite. Right ? And from vcr to tv also over composite is fine. Right ?

And one last thing for now.

I might well have a similar GPU (it is part of the 6400 series) as you do. You have not by any chance over-clocked it by running 'Overdrive' via the Catalyst program ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ The above was being written as jagabo made his GPU comment
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by dyhrdmet View Post
    I decided to contact Hauppauge. I should have done this on Monday (their support is closed on the weekend).
    I was going to suggest this earlier today but got distracted and didn't post. When I first got my PVR2 4.5 years ago, I had problems and contacted their support group. Within a few hours I had a support tech who logged onto my PC, took control of the computer, figured out the problem, and sent to me a patch to one of the drivers.

The information you provided about drivers, showing them to be the same on both your laptop and desktop computer, initially makes it look like that isn't the problem, but I am wondering if there is a dependency on another DLL or library that might cause the problem. Their support group can probably figure that out.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    But it may be easier to address why the laptop can not capture at length rather than go around in circles. A TOTAL clean install of an OS with no non-essential additional hardware such as scanner etc. is a drastic measure but if the problem is still there then the fault does appear to be with the GPU and the release notes even mention, but do not go in to detail, issues with some graphics cards.
    Laptop is getting old and slow. I can't take it offline to give it a clean install right now (though I want to do it).
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hauppauge said it was an issue with the Windows 10 2004 update. Some broken there with their color settings.
    There's no ETA for fixing it.

At least for the time-being, I'm looking to see if I can downgrade that PC to the previous version of Windows 10. My laptop has the same 2004 update, so I'm guessing it's a combination of what they said and my graphics card. I'm not terribly interested in upgrading it right now.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by dyhrdmet View Post
    Hauppauge said it was an issue with the Windows 10 2004 update. Some broken there with their color settings.
    There's no ETA for fixing it.

At least for the time-being, I'm looking to see if I can downgrade that PC to the previous version of Windows 10. My laptop has the same 2004 update, so I'm guessing it's a combination of what they said and my graphics card. I'm not terribly interested in upgrading it right now.
    I NEVER allow Windows to update itself, precisely because of things like this (see my note below).

Here is what I'd do. Ask Hauupague if they know what Windows update is responsible for breaking their software. Then, rather than do a complete re-install (it would take me a week to get everything back to working the way I wanted if I re-installed from scratch), find the KB update that is the culprit and uninstall it. You should be able to uninstall one or more Windows updates very easily, without having to do such a drastic thing as starting all over from scratch.

If Hauppauge can't help, you can do your own research. In thirty seconds I found this:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-with-kb4512508/9aef7b33-...5-ce9509d35c2e

There also appears to have been problems with an April 2018 update, so you could look into that.

Finally, here's a thought for the future.

My main PC is now twelve years old. The last time I allowed Windows update it was twelve years ago.

I partition my drives so that only the O/S and programs are on the C: drive and everything else is on another partition. This lets me backup the entire O/S and programs in less than five minutes. If I do ever have to go back to a previous version (I have managed to screw things up badly enough with some of the crazy things I do that I've had to do this many times), I can restore in less than ten minutes.

Since the backups are so small, I have backups going back a dozen years.

I bring this up because this is, unfortunately, a very common story: your computer works one day and then Windows, or some other program, does an update behind your back and things get broken.

And you then waste hours or days trying to troubleshoot, rather than getting things done.

Don't get me wrong, I do occasionally decide to update a program if it offers new features or fixes a bug that I have, but I never just blindly let the computer update itself without my involvement.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 23rd Sep 2020 at 18:51. Reason: critical typo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Doesn't exactly explain why the software works fine, even on this PC, for a component (tv box) input (unless I read you wrong).

Do you, by any remote chance, have any equipment between the vcr output and the Hauppauge input. Even some form of signal splitter. And crazy as it may sound I would still consider obtaining bespoke composite yellow, red and white cables rather than what you currently try to use.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Doesn't exactly explain why the software works fine, even on this PC, for a component (tv box) input (unless I read you wrong).

Do you, by any remote chance, have any equipment between the vcr output and the Hauppauge input. Even some form of signal splitter. And crazy as it may sound I would still consider obtaining bespoke composite yellow, red and white cables rather than what you currently try to use.
    Two answers.

The composite capture requires, I am sure, a different internal setup in the capture box because the timing signals are different. Timing is really, really tricky when doing any A/D (audio, video, or whatever), but especially with the goofy, crazy NTSC video signal with its blanking pulses, line timing, color embedded inside the luma signal, carrier (pilot) signal, etc. As a result, the PVR2 has to be reprogrammed when going from component to composite, and those signals are handled -- and I'm guessing on this one -- not only by the drivers supplied by Hauppauge, but also by the drivers in the various Windows DLLs.

I think you were asking the OP whether he as any sort if additional equipment between the VCR and the PVR2, but in case that was a question for me, I do not.

I just got today the Hauppauge composite cable that I bought from them a few days ago as a result of this thread. It includes S-video input which I very much want to try out. One project I may attempt is the recapture of the "Johnny Cash" show. I restored, for a collector, the entire 59 episode set of his shows from the late 1960s about eight years ago, but the quality was not good, even after my restoration (they had made a trip to PAL-land and back, and were definitely the worse for wear). A local low-power OTA channel is currently rebroadcasting four episodes every weekend, and I'd like to capture and use those. I was going to simply capture with my tried-and true DV capture setup, but I thought this would be a chance to finally determine whether using h.264 is going to produce better color and fewer compression artifacts than does 4:0:0 NTSC DV.

When I get around to it, I'll capture some video both ways and post the results. Even though I've long argued for people to convert VHS tapes using DV because you don't have endless problems (this thread is yet another example), I really want to see for myself how big a difference there is, and exactly what things are better or worse with each alternative.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

No splitters or anything like that. I did try switching the cables twice with no luck.

I'm thinking that it's a combination of something in the Windows 10 2004 update, the Hauppauge software/drivers, and my PC's graphics card (the variable between my laptop and desktop machines). I have uninstalled the video drivers, using basic ones, with no luck, so it's something deeper than that.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by dyhrdmet View Post

No splitters or anything like that. I did try switching the cables twice with no luck.

I'm thinking that it's a combination of something in the Windows 10 2004 update, the Hauppauge software/drivers, and my PC's graphics card (the variable between my laptop and desktop machines). I have uninstalled the video drivers, using basic ones, with no luck, so it's something deeper than that.
    Did you uninstall the relevant Windows updates?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by dyhrdmet View Post
    I'm thinking that it's a combination of something in the Windows 10 2004 update, the Hauppauge software/drivers, and my PC's graphics card
    Once again, your graphics card has nothing to do with the video capture.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now here's a potential solution given Windoze 10 reputation for breaking perfectly good systems (and its not exactly the ideal platform for video capture)

Recall that Johnmeyer uses Windows 7. I have NEVER upgraded my Windows 7 (it does not even have a single update installed). So

Create a dual-boot on your PC with Windows 10 AND Windows 7. Read here of how you can achieve that (may require the EasyBCD tool just I did since when I had to re-install after a dead SSD I needed that because I actually dual-boot with XP):

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/dual-boot-windows-7-on-a-pre-installed-windows...chine.2669067/

Another option for running Windows 7 with Windows 10 is VMware. I know that several members on here do that but I would leave it to them to guide you through that process.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another option for running Windows 7 with Windows 10 is VMware. I know that several members on here do that but I would leave it to them to guide you through that process.
    I am not sure that VMware is a viable solution if someone plans on using a capture device. I played around with a free virtual environment for a while. It supplied drivers that allowed common hardware like displays, keyboards, mice, audio, video graphics cards and so on to work but the virtual machine did not recognize my Hauppauge WinTV HVR-2250 TV tuner card/analog capture device. As I recall, I could not install drivers in that virtual environment.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Fairy nuff.

But a simple dual-boot is still a viable proposition.
    Quote Quote  
  25. VM's usually allow you to give client's dedicated access to specified USB devices. The client OS won't see the capture device until you do that. Once you've given the client dedicated access the host OS won't be able to use that device (until the dedicated access us disabled or the VM shut down).
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    VM's usually allow you to give client's dedicated access to specified USB devices. The client OS won't see the capture device until you do that. Once you've given the client dedicated access the host OS won't be able to use that device (until the dedicated access us disabled or the VM shut down).
    Then it should be possible to use the HD-PVR 2 in a virtual machine. The Hauppauge WinTV HVR-2250 has a PCI-e interface so it can't work in a virtual machine.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    VM's usually allow you to give client's dedicated access to specified USB devices. The client OS won't see the capture device until you do that. Once you've given the client dedicated access the host OS won't be able to use that device (until the dedicated access us disabled or the VM shut down).
    Then it should be possible to use the HD-PVR 2 in a virtual machine. The Hauppauge WinTV HVR-2250 has a PCI-e interface so it can't work in a virtual machine.
    It looks like I was wrong. In VMWare you can give the client OS dedicate access to some USB devices (like the mouse) but I wasn't able to get it to work with a Hauppauge HD PVR2. I tried with a 32 bit Win7 client on a 64 bit Win7 host with a ~1 year old version of VMWare.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So we are still back to a basic dual-boot.

Now where is the OP ?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    So we are still back to a basic dual-boot.

Now where is the OP ?
    I've been busy setting up my dual boot (and like the rest of this, in my spare time). Using the Windows 10 version from November (the May one was identified as being bad), it works. I also had to rebuild my workspace (after moving things out of there to rule out electrical interference; and clean the area while I could) and rebuild Windows and all of my apps on my main hard drive (after trying a clean install of Windows, something that's been on my list) and also dealing with one of my other hard drives beginning to fail (something for another post if I need help). So I've been busy.

I still don't know which update in the 2004 release it was (was it something in the initial release or a subsequent update) or when Hauppauge is going to fix it, but I have a workable solution.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Apologies. Some of us on here have too much free time (well I do use that for other things not related to this site) and forget that many still have a living to earn.

So the earlier incarnation of Windows now works for you ? Is so a true dual-boot may not be so essential. Still usefull if there are updates that are essential for the normal running of your system.

Yet you may still find that a stripped down OS just for capturing (until Hauppauge can fix the issue - until Windoze f$%k it up again) may be the best solution.
    Quote Quote