VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello again,

Judging from links to previous threads on Filmora, it appears the program isn’t recommended, so I’m making my text alignment question from earlier in the week applicable to all programs…

Basically, I just want to be able to justify-align text onscreen - via an editing program’s titling function – so that it appears as neatly as justified-aligned text in the pages of a book, yet all of the programs I’ve tried thus far (Windows Movie Maker, Shotcut, Kdenlive, the aforementioned Filmora, and VideoPad Video Editor) appear only to offer either three alignment options (left, centre, right) or justified-alignment subject to faffing about a bit and a not especially justified-aligned end result.

Are you guys aware of any editing programs which provide the solution? To be able to click justify-align and for text to neatly follow suit, as in a Word document, would be the ideal.

Quote Quote  
  2. Have you tried to do your text in word, justify it the way you want, copy to note pad and then copy that into your editor? Don't know if that will work but you can try it and report back here.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. It indeed seems as though I might have to use a middleman in light of not being able to simply go from A to B. I checked out Notepad. It has a word-wrap function which aligns any copied and pasted text a bit more neatly, though not fully justified-aligned. I may have to convert the format so as to try importing into editing programs.

There is a tutorial video (revolving around the famous Star Wars scrolling intro text) which highlighted that not even Adobe Premiere Pro has true justified alignment. That is, not unless you additionally purchase After Effects. The guy mentions how it might be achievable in the basic version if you firstly use a middleman like Photoshop or Illustrator and save it as an "asset".
    Quote Quote  
  4. Note that I use Movie Studio 16 for video editing and it always aligns text any way I want.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Nice one. Hadn't heard of that one. Will take a look. If it properly justifies text, then it could be a contender for my investment. Adobe is now cloud-based, which I don't fully understand. I used Premiere 7.0 back in the day. Think I would still prefer to have a software program in the traditional way, rather than negotiating this new-fangled cloud business.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't think any version of Vegas does justification. Just to make sure we are using the same language, in typesetting "justification" means that spacing is added to each line so that letters from each line of text touch both the left AND the right margins. The other options are left-aligned, right-aligned, and centered. Vegas can do these last three, but I don't think it does true justification.

One disclaimer: I don't own the latest versions of Vegas, so it is possible that the newer versions have this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @Audiovisual, Adobe does have some minor cloud-centric apps (most importantly newest version of Lightroom, and Premiere Rush), but the majority of their CC suite still operate locally with local files (though now with the option of cloud storage). It just runs as a subscription licensing model, rather than a perpetual one.
    So, for example, the old style of paying $600 for the right to use an older app "forever" - even though that forever usually only turns out to be 7-10 years, maybe less (because of feature and machine-compatibility obsolescence) has an equivalent monthly cost of $5 - 7.15.
    The new system says: pay some more, say $15/month, and you get an app that has continued growth of features and follows current machine standards and performance. And if you don't like it, you just stop paying. Like a magazine subscription.
    The 2 downsides:
    it does usually end up costing a bit more. That's how they get more money from you. Corporations! But hopefully they are more responsive to user wishes.
    For their model to work, the apps have to phone home to verify that your acct is licensed this month. Nowadays they phone home either once a month or whenever you start up the app & sign in (whichever is shorter/sooner).

That's it, nothing more special or cloud-related about Adobe, or Microsoft, or Avid/Digidesign, or Autodesk, or any of the other big companies that have subscription models.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 20th Sep 2020 at 20:08.
    Quote Quote  
  8. It's good to gain a better understanding of the cloud thing. Technology has indeed changed a lot in the space of a decade. It seems more so, and in different ways, to the changes of prior decades. I'm generally not the biggest fan of those changes, yet may have to go along with some of them regardless. We'll see. Working with local files is certainly the preference.

On the justified text issue, a problem always seems to arise even in programs which have a justified option (most just have left, centre, right), in that the last line of each paragraph/block of text doesn't seem to sit right - as it would in a book - no matter whether you paste it in separately to the rest of the text (via an additional overlay). There always seems to be some minor jutting to one side or the other instead of it being plush with the line above.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Audiovisual View Post
    On the justified text issue, a problem always seems to arise even in programs which have a justified option (most just have left, centre, right), in that the last line of each paragraph/block of text doesn't seem to sit right - as it would in a book - no matter whether you paste it in separately to the rest of the text (via an additional overlay). There always seems to be some minor jutting to one side or the other instead of it being plush with the line above.
    Yes. You most definitely cannot copy/paste justified text from one application to another because the different widths of "spaces" used may not be the same in each application. A space is not a space (em space, en space, etc.). Also, the length of the column into which the text would be pasted will never be identical between the two apps.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yes, and also I take back what I said about Movie Studio 16. Not sure it will justify text from margin to margin.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hmm...Sounds like I may have to go with Adobe and the After Effects route in the end. Am still at the research stage at the moment, though, and in no great rush. Might seem like a silly question, but do Adobe still enable you to export to your computer, what with the world having gone the way of uploading directly to YouTube, etc? Also, if they still do, would they allow you to do this on the 7-day trial version or do such exports have a watermark/expiry or something?
    Quote Quote  
  12. AE isn't necessary; you can do it in PP. Both AE and PP perform the text justification in the same fashion. The difference between a word processor and AE or PP is you need a bounding box to define the limits of the justification (hold left click and drag the shape of a box). In a word processor, the page format settings are, in effect, the bounding box . But AE is better suited for animation - so your choice of what to use might partially depend on what you're trying to do with the text
    Quote Quote  
  13. Just looking to do the basics with it, really. Nothing too flashy. Kind of the Star Wars scroll, only without the slant and stars in space as a background. Am just a stickler for text being neat.
    Quote Quote