VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I spent all day looking for a solution to my problem. I have connected an external hard drive to my Sony Bravia television in order to record programs. Since the hard drive is connected with an HDMI cable, I can also connect it to my computer. And that is precisely the problem. My computer recognizes the external hard drive and it contains folders and files. The video files are an M2TS extension. Unfortunately they are not readable as a video file. After searching the internet I found out that the files are encrypted. I have tested several decrypt programs, none of them work. My question is, how the hell can I make those files on the hard drive that are recorded with the Sony television work on my computer?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    are the files from a satellite dish / cable provider box ??
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    are the files from a satellite dish / cable provider box ??
    The television is recording the program from the satellite. The TV stores it on the external hard drive via HDMI.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you need to get an HDMI Splitter capable of stripping off the copy protection that is installed between the satellite receiver & your PC
    see here - https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx17B6W9PL24AWW/?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you need to get an HDMI Splitter capable of stripping off the copy protection that is installed between the satellite receiver & your PC
    see here - https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx17B6W9PL24AWW/?
    I don't think that will work because, in this case, there is no separate satellite receiver.

If a TV has the ability to make recordings, it records the output from its built-in tuner for free OTA TV received via antenna/satellite dish or, if it accepts a CAM (conditional access module) for a paid TV service, it records the decrypted stream from the CAM. TVs with the ability to make recordings store them on a thumb drive or portable HDD connected to a USB port on the TV. Such recordings are always encrypted and unplayable by anything other than the individual TV that made them. As far as I can recall, nobody has posted a method for decrypting such recordings on VideoHelp.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th Sep 2020 at 16:13. Reason: left out a word or two
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As mentioned above, there is no satellite receiver. The wire from the satellite is directly connected to the television. Both the satellite and the external hard drive are both attached to the SMART TV. I've been thinking, wouldn't there be a way to duplicate the image? From the television to the computer ... normally it is the other way around: from the laptop to the television. So that the computer receives the screen from the television. Is there no special program on the internet for this? So I can capture de image from the television on the computer. There must be some way to do that, no?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by busel View Post
    I've been thinking, wouldn't there be a way to duplicate the image? From the television to the computer ... normally it is the other way around: from the laptop to the television. So that the computer receives the screen from the television. Is there no special program on the internet for this? So I can capture de image from the television on the computer. There must be some way to do that, no?
    There is no realistic way to do what you want,

The video connections (HDMI, composite, component, SCART, S-Video, VGA) on TVs are one-way connections. All of the video connections found on recent flatscreen TVs are made to accept video input to the TV. None of them are able to outut video from the TV.

The TV's data connections, USB ports, are the only two-way connections. These can be used for reading from or writing to video files on USB storage devices but the TV's operating system is only able to create encrypted video files.

I guess you could point a camera at the TV and record the screen but that is probably not the solution you were hoping for.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th Sep 2020 at 19:56. Reason: Correct punctuation
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As mentioned above, there is no satellite receiver. The wire from the satellite is directly connected to the television. Both the satellite and the external hard drive are both attached to the SMART TV. I've been thinking, wouldn't there be a way to duplicate the image? From the television to the computer ... normally it is the other way around: from the laptop to the television. So that the computer receives the screen from the television. Is there no special program on the internet for this? So I can capture de image from the television on the computer. There must be some way to do that, no?
    is there anyway to use screen recorder software on your computer ??
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    is there anyway to use screen recorder software on your computer ??
    Screen recorders can't record video output from another device (the TV's built-in media player) that is not connected to the computer and cannot be connected to the computer.

[Edit]I'm guessing that the content in that encrypted recording made by busel's TV is not easy to obtain from other sources
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th Sep 2020 at 20:39.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It seems the TV software itself is encrypting the recording. Not surprising since it's Sony.

"Only this TV will be able to play the data recorded on the USB HDD that has been registered to this TV.

Recording is supported only for digital TV and radio broadcasts. Recording of data broadcasts is not supported.

Scrambled/encrypted signals cannot be recorded."

Source: https://helpguide.sony.net/tv/haep2/v1/en/03-01_05.html
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    It seems the TV software itself is encrypting the recording. Not surprising since it's Sony.
    It isn't just Sony doing this. I've seen other posts about LG TVs and Samsung TVs with a recording feature that does the same thing.

@busel: For what it's worth, it is often possible to record free terrestrial TV broadcasts and free satellite TV broadcasts with other devices that don't encrypt recordings. Forum members sometimes use PC TV tuners and PVR software or various cheap converter boxes with a recording function to record free TV broadcasts so they can have portable recordings available. This won't help you decrypt the encrypted recordings made by your TV that you already have but it is a solution for the future.
    Quote Quote