VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Normally QTGMC() cleans up artifacts created on near-horizontal lines/edges. Sometimes you have vertical lines/edges that need cleaning. Hence the 90 degree rotation.
    Oh, I wasn't aware of that. You only need to run QTGMC once though right? Not once in 90" then again normally?

He's talking about various temporal noise reducers like RemoveDirt(), TTempSmooth(), RemoveSpotsMC(), etc.
    Thank you for pin-pointing me jagabo. I will do some reading on them once I'm able to use QTGMC and de-interlace a video.

EDIT: Oh, just saw restore-chappy reply as well (had the window open and not refreshed for a while I guess).

The process i did on Okiba's file was to deinterlace first to 25ps with QTGMC then rotate 90° then QTGMC progressive mode, then rotate -90°
    That answer my previous question. You did run QTGMC twice. Is that a common workflow when working with QTGMC? Deinterlace is once, rotate it, and run QTGMC on progressive mode just to also clean vertical noise?

I would think all these processes could be easily wrapped up neatly in a AVisynth script but i don't possess the skills....NudgeNudge Jagabo !
    That would be great. Just to give me a proper workflow to experiment with

By the way, I asked me father to find that DVD record. Sadly - it's not a DVD recorder It's another VCR - or the SAME type I currently using! (He told me my uncle also got the same VCR). The VCR Do have DV/AV IN, but I'm assuming it's not worth trying it because as mentioned above by you guys - the VCR/DVD Combo I'm using already modifying the original output. So that won't work anyhow.

Thanks again guys!
    Last edited by Okiba; 21st Sep 2020 at 11:38.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Is it the exact same model, or is it a Pioneer DVD-recorder combo? I know they made combos with the same chips as the standalone DVRs that do have some lineTBC/horizontal correction and may work similarly, but they also made ones with different chips. Also, only some dvd-recorder/VCR combos pass the video output through the internal digitizer (like the LGs), many don't, and some give the raw signal on composite but processed on others (Panasonics I think). Combos that have no dvd-recording function will of course only have normal composite out like a standalone VCR as they have no digitizer in the first place.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Is that a common workflow when working with QTGMC? Deinterlace is once, rotate it, and run QTGMC on progressive mode just to also clean vertical noise?
    No its not really common practise, But in this instance i felt deinterlacing first then rotating then QTGMC progressive mode gave better results.

If you plan to share the file with family and maybe upload to a streaming site then it makes sense to make it progressive.

But always keep the huffys interlaced originals in case the inchip deinterlacers in TVs compare with QTGMC or better.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Here's an old thread with comparisons of a lot of AviSynth noise reduction filters:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/358043-A-comparison-of-AVIsynth-denoise-filters

Be careful with strong temporal NR filters -- they can create a lot of motion artifacts with panning shots. And spacial NR filters can remove detail as well as noise.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Okiba View Post
    But correct me if I'm wrong, isn't QTGMC is a de-interlacer?
    QTGMC is a complex pre-made Avisynth script (.avsi) with about 1,000 lines of code. The actual deinterlacers are all EDI (edge dependent interpolation) based (Yadif, NNEDIs, etc). It's a complex usage of deinterlace, anti-alias (AA), and noise reduction (NR).

QTGMC is really a program unto itself, residing within Avisynth.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Is it the exact same model, or is it a Pioneer DVD-recorder combo?
    Sadly it's the exact same model. My father came for a visit yesterday, and the unit is here with me. We DID used to have Pioneer video recorder somewhere. Maybe my Granpa still have it. I will check.

I know they made combos with the same chips as the standalone DVRs that do have some lineTBC/horizontal correction and may work similarly, but they also made ones with different chips.
    I think that's EXACTLY what's happened here! I tried the other identical VCR. And It looks VERY BAD compared to the same model I own. It's either a faulty unit, or as you mentioned has a different chip.

Also, only some dvd-recorder/VCR combos pass the video output through the internal digitizer (like the LGs), many don't,
    So your saying I might find a Combo unit that I can use as a device before the mentioned Panasonic DVD recorder. Maybe even the LG Unit my father gave me. I only tried SVideo. It's possible indeed the composite image will look worse as it's not being passed thru the digitizer.

No its not really common practise, But in this instance i felt deinterlacing first then rotating then QTGMC progressive mode gave better results.
    So I guess I indeed need to experiment with that. Trying to use QTGMC as interlaced. See if the quality is better, if not - maybe try to rotate it and run it again on progressive mode etc.

Here's an old thread with comparisons of a lot of AviSynth noise reduction filters:
    Thank you, bookmarked!

It's a complex usage of deinterlace, anti-alias (AA), and noise reduction (NR).
    Oh, so that's explain why you mentioned the results of using QTGMC will be a better looking video. It does other things to improve the quality!

Thanks. I had a spare hour yesterday night, so I setup AviSynth and QTGMC. I will try to take a decent video, run QTGMC against it - and see the quality difference.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I managed to make QTGMC work and wow, there's a big difference in quality. You can see there's much more then just de-interlacing happening in the background. I have couple of questions regarding QTGMC and AviSynth, but I think this goes way beyond the original topic, I opened a dedicated on in the proper forum if anyone interested in a follow up.

Thanks everyone! this has been a HUGE help.
    Quote Quote