VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi all
    I'm new to this subject in the arena of video capture. I am able to get VHS tapes converted to MP4 and DVD using a method that works, by playing on a VCR and recording it onto a Liteon DVD recorder, then taking out the hard drive and copying the files to my laptop and then convert using Premiere Elements. it works, but takes a long time and someone suggested I explore the video capture route.

I bought a Diamond VC500 which came with Power Director 12 and that works by creating an MP4.

Someone has since suggested I use Pot Player as that is very good free software, but I can't find any information on how to set it up so that it connects to the Diamond VC500.

Any advice on this will be welcome
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Pot player is for playback not for capture, Sure you can ride a motor home to work everyday but it is much better with a car. Have you tried Vdub?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Pot player is for playback not for capture, Sure you can ride a motor home to work everyday but it is much better with a car. Have you tried Vdub?
    Thanks for your quick reply. The version of Pot Player I have does offer a recording option. In fact there are loads of options, but rather than wandering around trying everything I'd prefer something that will work using default values and set for PAL as I'm in London, UK

I haven't tried anything else, but if you suggest Vdub then I'm willing to try it out
    Last edited by dbr97; 17th Sep 2020 at 05:45.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I installed Vdub, but I couldn't find setup information to get it to work with the Diamond VC500. I was hoping there might have been a getting started for six year olds...

Anyway it's not a major problem, because I have successfully used Power Director 12 and the MP4 files are be imported into Premiere Elements. Although Power Director has a feature to write to DVDs, the file size seems so big a 2 hour recording won't fit, but Premiere Elements seems to compress it and then it does fit on a DVD. Also the final MP4 is much smaller.
    Quote Quote