VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I need to convert a mp4 file into a png sequence. According to Vegas it's 84 frames long. When converted to png files with Virtualdub I select all the png files and there are 67 so it's skipping frames. What can I do? Whatever "minimum number of digits" is is set to default of 4. Im not using any filters or anything. CPU is 3950x.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Is the mp4 video variable frame rate?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Is the mp4 video variable frame rate?
    Not sure. VLC says:

Quote Quote  
  4. I'm not sure if VLC's report will tell you if the video is VFR or CFR. MediaInfo can though.

Other than the number of frames -- in what way are frames missing? A bunch at the start? A bunch at the end? One of every five frames?
    Last edited by jagabo; 15th Sep 2020 at 23:04.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I'm not sure if VLC's report will tell you if the video is VFR or CFR. MediaInfo can though.

Other than the number of frames -- in what way are frames missing? A bunch at the start? A bunch at the end? One of every five frames?

Code:
    MediaInfo says this:

Format                                   : MPEG-4
    Format profile                           : Base Media / Version 2
    Codec ID                                 : mp42 (mp42/isom)
    File size                                : 24.3 MiB
    Duration                                 : 9 s 593 ms
    Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
    Overall bit rate                         : 21.3 Mb/s
    Encoded date                             : UTC 2020-09-14 13:04:28
    Tagged date                              : UTC 2020-09-14 13:04:28
    So looks like its variable. The frames are skipping in between not in a big chunk. Im not sure exactly when the frame skips. So if we have 67 frames and it should be 83 someone that's good with numbers may figure it out. Those 16 frames make a difference, the animation feels faster, so I would like to have the 83 frames.
    Quote Quote  
  6. That says variable bitrate, not necessarily variable frame rate

Check with mediainfo (view=> text)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Also use the "Advanced mode" in the Debug menu to show verbose output (or if you use a CLI version, add the parameter "-f"). Then you should be able to see a range of minimum and maximum frame rates if it is indeed variable. Without this range, the flags would only report that the type of container supports VFR in case it is needed, but it doesn't have to be actually used for this clip.
    Quote Quote