VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    After rendering a 2 hour long video in VirtualDub after applying filters and deinterlacing with Avisynth. I want to do edits in Premiere as i prefer their transitions and ease of use when editing longer files.

After muxing the video and audio back together and importing it into premiere, the picture is all washed out. It isn't like this when i preview it in a media player. So just assumed it's Premiere's preview window playing up.. but after i render it's still like that! I then did some experimenting. I then imported the avi file, before muxing was applied/no audio, and low and behold the colours are all normal, no bright blacks. Then i import the long muxed clip right next to it, and it changes to washed out. I can tell the difference by clicking between the two in the timeline. So i think this might be a problem caused by muxing the original audio to the video. I also had to offset the audio due to the slight delay after extracting the files via DGIndex.

And yes the color space is correct after i applied "No change" in vdub, with Lagarith.

Has anyone ever heard of this before and know how to fix it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like a TV vs PC levels problem. I don't know enough about Adobe PP and how to deal with mismatched levels in PP. Normally I can just feed it TV levels and it just about always gives me TV levels back.

What codec/format of video and audio are you feeding into PP to get raised blacks?
    Quote Quote  
  3. One practical way to fix it is to not premux. Bring the audio and video in separately, as you did, and group the video and audio together on the timeline to bind them in sync.

I agree, an RGB/YUV flag is getting messed up somewhere in the muxing.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Doesn't Premiere have a problem with levels with some codecs/containers? It assumes full range YUV rather than limited range? This has been mentioned in these forums many times. Or maybe it was Vegas? I don't use the programs, but you should be able to convince it your source is limited range.
    Last edited by jagabo; 15th Sep 2020 at 07:50.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Well here is the MediaInfo to give all the stats of the video/audio.

Code:
    General
    Complete name                            : F:\A Video Files\DVD Rips\Video.avi
    Format                                   : AVI
    Format/Info                              : Audio Video Interleave
    Format profile                           : OpenDML
    File size                                : 114 GiB
    Duration                                 : 2 h 8 min
    Overall bit rate                         : 127 Mb/s
    Writing application                      : Lavf58.45.100

Video
    ID                                       : 0
    Format                                   : Lagarith
    Codec ID                                 : LAGS
    Bit rate                                 : 127 Mb/s
    Width                                    : 1 280 pixels
    Height                                   : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
    Frame rate                               : 50.000 FPS
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 2.753
    Stream size                              : 114 GiB (100%)

Audio
    ID                                       : 1
    Format                                   : MPEG Audio
    Format version                           : Version 1
    Format profile                           : Layer 2
    Codec ID                                 : 50
    Bit rate mode                            : Constant
    Bit rate                                 : 256 kb/s
    Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
    Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
    Compression mode                         : Lossy
    Stream size                              : 235 MiB (0%)
    Alignment                                : Aligned on interleaves
    Interleave, duration                     : 24  ms (1.20 video frame)
    I rendered it via VirtualDub lossless AVI so there would be minimal quality loss when i render it further is Premiere Pro.

I just don't get why the colours are normal when i import the same AVI file without the remuxed audio.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    One practical way to fix it is to not premux. Bring the audio and video in separately, as you did, and group the video and audio together on the timeline to bind them in sync.

I agree, an RGB/YUV flag is getting messed up somewhere in the muxing.
    With the audio being 72ms out of sync how can i sync this back up correctly in the timeline? Or is there a way to offset the audio after i render the video without re-encoding?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Use a test pattern that easily lets you check black and white levels. Try the one in this post:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/374734-Superblacks-and-superwhites-question#post2414529

See where in your workflow you are getting a levels shift.
    Quote Quote  
  8. 72ms is about 3.5 frames at 50fps. You can easily slip any offset in the timeline before you group.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Doesn't Premiere have a problem with levels with some codecs/containers? It assumes full range YUV rather than limited range? This has been mentioned in these forums many times. Or maybe it was Vegas? I don't use the programs, but you should be able to convince it your source is limited range.
    Another thing i forgot to mention is i upscaled the original video to 1280x720, so Premiere may be incorrectly assuming the colorspace is rec.709, rather than rec.601. Though changing it to rec.601 in the Export Settings section and rendering doesn't seem to help. Though the problem only occurs after i mux the audio, so it maybe a combination of things causing Premiere to get confused perhaps.

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Use a test pattern that easily lets you check black and white levels. Try the one in this post:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/374734-Superblacks-and-superwhites-question#post2414529

See where in your workflow you are getting a levels shift.
    I've never used a test pattern before. Do you have to load it in Avisynth alongside your source video?

One thing i noticed in that line of script is ConvertToYV12(matrix="pc.601")

I never use this since it's already YUV to begin with but i guess it wouldn't hurt to do so and make sure it stays in rec.601.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Master Tape View Post
    Another thing i forgot to mention is i upscaled the original video to 1280x720, so Premiere may be incorrectly assuming the colorspace is rec.709, rather than rec.601.
    That doesn't change the Y levels. Only the colors will be wrong.

Originally Posted by Master Tape View Post
    One thing i noticed in that line of script is ConvertToYV12(matrix="pc.601")
    My goal was to make a rec.601 video with superblacks and superwhites from an RGB image. It's not possible to produce those illegal values with ConvertToYV12(matrix=rec601").
    Quote Quote  
  11. By the way, I posted a similar DV AVI levels video here:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/326496-file-in-Virtualdub-has-strange-colors-when-...ed#post2022085

The images have an error in the Y=0 bar but the file was updated with a corrected version.
    Quote Quote