VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. seems that the latest potplayer versions have included a "potplayer" popup logo in bottom right corner that shows briefly at program launch... is there a way to disable it?

also, is there a way to hide the player frame (navbar, etc.) when the player is in windowed mode? "enable layered window mode" seems to do the trick but it also seems to disable 10-bit video.

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1. More users reported this issue, but I don't have this popup window, don't know why, it's the same/latest PotPlayer version, tested even with default settings, may OS is Windows 10 2004 64-bit, using Defender, no other antivirus. First - that popup ad had just users from Asia - with the real ad, not just PotPlayer logo, now users from US, Canada and UK reported it, I'm from EU, it's the only difference I can see, so perhaps EU protects users somehow, GDPR or something?

Is there any user from EU who has this popup ad/logo?

2. This is one of the best PotPlayer options and I think it's the only player with this feature in window mode, auto-hiding the navigation bar, playlist and the title bar, it's in the Preferences - General - Skins - "Auto hide main window skin while video screen is active", for OSC Method I'm using "Direct3D11 Mode".
    Last edited by Dreamer; 13th Sep 2020 at 09:02.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vanbrocklin View Post
    seems that the latest potplayer versions have included a "potplayer" popup logo in bottom right corner that shows briefly at program launch... is there a way to disable it?

also, is there a way to hide the player frame (navbar, etc.) when the player is in windowed mode? "enable layered window mode" seems to do the trick but it also seems to disable 10-bit video.

thanks!
    see this thread - https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/393452-PotPlayer-now-Adware%21
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    2. This is one of the best PotPlayer options and I think it's the only player with this feature in window mode, auto-hiding the navigation bar, playlist and the title bar, it's in the Preferences - General - Skins - "Auto hide main window skin while video screen is active", for OSC Method I'm using "Direct3D11 Mode".
    yes, i've used the ""auto hide main window skin while video screen is active" option forever, it's great, but what i meant to ask is if there's a way to autohide when the screen isn't active? as i mentioned this works if you enable layered window mode but then you can't can't output 10-bit video... also, fwiw, if you use direct3d11 mode you can't use madvr from what i can tell.

Originally Posted by october262
    thanks, oosted my question there.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I don't understand, "autohide when the screen isn't active"? Autohide what exactly and when, if another window is active and PP is inactive?

Here it works with any "Method", disabled, direct3D9/11/openGL, layered.

Could you explain it, or perhaps the screenshot could help.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    I don't understand, "autohide when the screen isn't active"? Autohide what exactly and when, if another window is active and PP is inactive?

Here it works with any "Method", disabled, direct3D9/11/openGL, layered.

Could you explain it, or perhaps the screenshot could help.
    when the skin control > on screen control method is set to "enable layered window mode" autohide works in windowed mode even if the player isn't active - the player (skin) controls are auto-hidden even if a movie isn't playing.

when any other sc > osc method is used autohide doesn't work in windowed mode when the payer isn't active - the player (skin) controls are not hidden if a movie isn't playing:

however autohide does work with any sc > osc method when in fullscreen even if the screen isn't active, i.e. even if a movie isn't playing, which is the most important (for me at least) - i would just like a setting where it also worked in windowed mode when set to a mode other than "layered window" because, as mentioned, layered window apparently disables 10-bit or higher output.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since the latest update I see the new logo in the lower right for a few seconds when Potplayer starts playing a video but it only happens once in a while. It's not every time. If the author is not careful the player may end up in the junk pile like KMPLayer did.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by gll99 View Post
    Since the latest update I see the new logo in the lower right for a few seconds when Potplayer starts playing a video but it only happens once in a while. It's not every time. If the author is not careful the player may end up in the junk pile like KMPLayer did.
    yes, same here, looks like an ad placeholder, i.e. the same location and size others have reported seeing ads:

here are the latest 64 versions, i've rolled back to the 200730 "no ads" version, haven't seen the popup yet, if i do i'll roll back again until i land on a version that doesn't produce a popup, like i had before, just wish i remembered which version it was.

potplyaersetup64-200908.exe
    potplayersetup64-200827-beta.exe
    potplyaersetup64-200730.exe ********************
    potplayersetup64-200730 -ads.exe

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Self Edit:

Comment removed

Just realized my comment was misplaced
    Last edited by gll99; 5th Nov 2020 at 09:20. Reason: Comment accidently written in wrong thread
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  10. vanbrocklin

Strange, navigation bar is auto-hidden here, even if no file is playing, just Playlist is not auto-hidden in this case, but it's possible to disable it with the button, I tried default settings + any OSC Method option except "Disable", you can try also this option:
    Preferences - General - Skins - "Auto hide main window skin while video screen is active"

Perhaps it's GPU/OS related issue, I don't know. I'd post a screenshot, but it would be just a black window - just I have the PotPlayer logo/text in the middle, are you using built-in skin, or is it modified, or is it some option?

BTW my PotPlayer version: 200908 1.7.21291 64-bit, Windows 10 2004 64-bit, Defender.

For others, it's OT, please use this topic for any ad-related issues:

PotPlayer now Adware! - VideoHelp Forum
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by vanbrocklin View Post
    seems that the latest potplayer versions have included a "potplayer" popup logo in bottom right corner that shows briefly at program launch... is there a way to disable it?

thanks!
    I resolved that same issue after some time .. the problem is that Logo while the player is say playing some music in the background or when i had any small small sized player window open while working on something i could never click the part of the screen that Logo showed up and i can't even close it as it disappears in like 3 seconds after opening the player, Anyway... Just go into your PotPlayer installation's folder and Locate the file called PotPlayer.png under and rename it to anything else and close all open PotPlayer and open again and it won't show again. the installation folder of that Logo is by default at "C:\Program Files\DAUM\PotPlayer\Logos" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\DAUM\PotPlayer\Logos"

Good Luck.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by medoamer View Post
    Originally Posted by vanbrocklin View Post

thanks!
    I resolved that same issue after some time .. the problem is that Logo while the player is say playing some music in the background or when i had any small small sized player window open while working on something i could never click the part of the screen that Logo showed up and i can't even close it as it disappears in like 3 seconds after opening the player, Anyway... Just go into your PotPlayer installation's folder and Locate the file called PotPlayer.png under and rename it to anything else and close all open PotPlayer and open again and it won't show again. the installation folder of that Logo is by default at "C:\Program Files\DAUM\PotPlayer\Logos" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\DAUM\PotPlayer\Logos"

Good Luck.
    didn't work for me, in fact i deleted the potplayer.png file a long time ago for other reasons, so i don't even have the file on my pc, yet i get the popup, i was thinking that it was embedded in the skin dsf file but was too lazy to extract and confirm....

Originally Posted by Romsryu

Add the following lines at the bottom of the hosts file to get rid of ads

127.0.0.1 p1-play.edge4k.com

127.0.0.1 p2-play.edge4k.com

127.0.0.1 p1-play.kgslb.com

127.0.0.1 kyson.ad.daum.net

127.0.0.1 display.ad.daum.net

127.0.0.1 analytics.ad.daum.net
    actually this makes a lot of sense, have made similar entries for other software programs, will give it a try, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  13. This is why i decided to not update any working-app !
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by untymage View Post
    This is why i decided to not update any working-app !
    It's not a good idea, old programs have bugs and security problems.

I don't have any popup ads in PotPlayer, but I don't know any other program with such problems.

Another reason for updating are the new features, I know many programs, which have very useful new features, they are adding often.
    Quote Quote