VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried opening the AVI in veedub but I get these errors:
    [!] AVI: Index not found or damaged -- reconstructing via file scan.
    [!] AVI: Invalid chunk detected at 96009530. Enabling aggressive recovery
    mode.
    [!] AVI: Keyframe flag reconstruction was not specified in open options and
    the video stream is not a known keyframe-only type. Seeking in the video
    stream may be extremely slow.

I am trying to convert AVI ( car security system video) to MP4 so I can open them in davinci resolve 16 to edit.
    I have tried using VLC it converts the video but loses the sound.

Windows 10 PC
    Quote Quote  
  2. What kind of audio and video is inside that AVI? If you don't know then post the text information from MediaInfo. You might try opening it in VDub2
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I attached a screen shot. I dont know whow to use Media thing, sorry If I have done it wrong. Is that the info youre after?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	48
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	54887  

Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just tried Veedub 2, there were no errors, but nothing actually opened just 2 grey squares where the video should be. I dont know why this is so complicated. Am I using the wrong programs. I just want to be able to put the Camera files into Davinci or Lightworks so I can edit/cut them etc.

ok I got it to convert WITH audio in VLC by selecting the same settings as above ie 8000hz, 16 bits, 1 channel. It plays with sound but when I put it into davinci there is no audio,
    Last edited by Liesh; 12th Sep 2020 at 21:40.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Liesh View Post
    I dont know why this is so complicated.
    Because VirtualDub uses VFW -- which hasn't been updated in 20+ years. No version of Windows ships with a VFW AVC decoder, you have to install one (VirtualDub2 has one built in). AVC is almost never used in an AVI container. VFW is not meant for out-of-order codecs. Special kludges (known as the VirtualDub Hack, or Packed-Bitstream) are used to package OoO codecs in AVI

And, of course, starting with a corrupt AVI file isn't helping matters.

Since you've been able to convert with VLC -- just change the audio sampling rate (and maybe audio codec) while converting to something your editor can deal with. And use MOV instead of MP4 for PCM audio (WAV in VLC). Most programs don't support PCM in MP4.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AVC (PAL) is the only option I have NTSC doesnt work here ( just flickers up and down) To put it into davinci I have to convert to MP4 in VLC then put it into Wavepad to make a copy of the sound and put them both in Davinci. There is no option to make WAV or MOV in VLC.

all the files have the same error when put directly into Veedub, and dont open in Veedub to ( just grey empty square)

If they are truely corrupt files, its how they are recording. I have no idea, there isnt many settings in the recorder itself. I can only change the bitrate from low, medium and high.
    Quote Quote