VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab All-in-One and rip streaming video! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is great to have another person who can work on these decks! The rate is not crazy for the amount of work involved.

I do want to say that it is better to let your work stand on its own and not try to put down others. Tom Grant is also a top notch tech who can cover a lot of ground including rejuvenating the display, refinishing the cover etc. and who has overhauled three of my decks with excellent results. The one thing he does not do is provide a post service performance and calibration report (Iíve asked) and if you do, that would set you apart!
    Last edited by swiego; 1st Nov 2020 at 23:01.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Good to know another person is around doing repairs. For what it's worth, I purchased a TGrant refurb earlier this year and it's been a great deck so far, and their responses to some questions have been professional. No idea on the other critiques.

At this point, i'm concerned with the future of hardware repair, with so little amount of people with the knowledge on repairing old video equipment. I've mentioned this to lordsmurf in the past, but i'd be willing to pay for DOCUMENTATION! I'd ante up for repair guides, tips and tricks, step by step processes, tutorials, etc. I've asked smurf about guides on TBC testing methodology, etc etc.

Obviously I understand that this knowledge is a commodity, and people probably don't want to be putting tricks of the trade out onto the internet, but I fear within a generation we're not going to have the time earned information on repairing this stuff from old school professionals available anywhere.

Just some thoughts.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Deter

Do you know if there's anyone in the EU region that fixes NF-FS200 decks (the regional equivalent of the AG1980).
    I really love my NV-FS200, and will be pretty upset the day it starts acting up

I'd be happy to pay a decent amount of money getting it revised/recapped by an expert.
    These are priceless units.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Deter, I sent you a PM today - based off an older thread. I hoe pyou get it and reply, I'd like to send you an 1980. or two. $500 sounds reasonable to me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    brysta559, got your message and replied back, I am still open for business, actually this year have done a lot more repair jobs than normal.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi Deter

I have created a topic over at digitalfaq about a Panasonic nv-fs200 I have just received but only just noticed your repair service topic so thought I would be cheeky and ask you in here about this issue.

Have a look at this video please

https://youtu.be/oCR-6a7yjEk

This happens soon as I insert a tape, it does sometimes stop but starts up again if I lift the machine and tilt it slightly it will stop!! any idea on what this issue is?

Thanks for any help, if it's another dud it will be going back to the seller.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That machine sounds terrible.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Deter View Post
    That machine sounds terrible.
    Take it this is not an easy fix! It's a shame because the outside is in decent condition compared to many others I have seen.

What's causing this Deter have you an idea.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The motor sounds terrible. I rebuild all the boards inside these types of units. In some cases you need an extra unit to put a unit together if a specific part is broken. It is not like you have a store selling parts to a nv-fs200. It is hard for me to tell what is wrong, I have no idea when you are pressing play or ff or rewind. I did a post years ago fixing these kinds of issues in real time using JVC decks. The metal frame on these types are a lot stronger so that is not usually bent or out of a alignment. I could fix this, I just don't have any power converters to run a PAL unit. If you are outside the United States their is no reason to ever ship this to me.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Glad you're still doing repairs.

Just picked up two AG1980s. One owner decks, look to be in nice shape. Haven't tested them yet but hoping they operate as good as they look. But will likely be sending one or both your way for refurb anyway at some point.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Not a problem Deter, thanks for replying all advice is appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Deter just repaired my ag1980. It had washed out colors and the sound was just ever so slightly metallic sounding.

Now it looks and sounds perfect. Hoping to get plenty of use out of this thing now!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Deter I sent you a PM about a AG-1980P
    Quote Quote