VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Good health to you. Immediately I apologize for translating through machine translation services.
    I've been chasing codecs with maximum lossless compression ratio lately. Kind of found this MSU and YULS but I have no idea how to use and encode videos in them. Can anyone help me?
    If you describe why I'm chasing: my video library has grown so much that I started thinking about backups ... But terabytes are expensive, so I'm looking for ways to compress everything to the maximum, even if recovery in case of a crash will cost a lot of CPU time (unzipping-decoding ).

I would be grateful to everyone who gives their opinion, thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by ettaluni View Post
    I've been chasing codecs with maximum lossless compression ratio lately. Kind of found this MSU and YULS but I have no idea how to use and encode videos in them. Can anyone help me?
    If you describe why I'm chasing: my video library has grown so much that I started thinking about backups ... But terabytes are expensive, so I'm looking for ways to compress everything to the maximum, even if recovery in case of a crash will cost a lot of CPU time (unzipping-decoding ).

I would be grateful to everyone who gives their opinion, thank you!

Probably you shouldn't bother with this -

If you're starting with lossy compressed videos, lossless video compression will increase the filesize, usually ~5-20x. The "lossless" video compression refers to decoded, uncompressed video

If you're starting with highly compressed video (eg. typical use settings for x264, x265), archiving them with 7-zip, winrar etc.. will increase the filesize slightly too. Only lightly compressed video, such as DV, MPEG2 can benefit from a small% compression for archival software
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As stated if you are not working with lossless videos already, then this is counterproductive. Lossless video is usually around 25GB per 1hr of 480p, and around 100GB per hour of 1080p (YV12 or YUY2). If you have files that are less than 25GB per hour of 1080p, then your video is probably lossy.

That being said I was never impressed with MSU and don't use it. YULS is probably the best lossless codec for 480p/576p content but it is really really slow and not worth it. I only use FFV1 for best compression with practical encoding speed. I use Lagarith if my computer is not powerful enough.
    Quote Quote