VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an old 3d Anaglyph video. I would like to separate the stereo pairs into separate footage? Is this possible? I'm proficient with AviSynth and AfterEffects I just have no clue where to start.
    Quote Quote  
  2. To some extent, yes, but the exact procedure depends on the type of anaglyph. Post a short sample of your source. You will NOT get the full color originals back.
    Last edited by jagabo; 11th Sep 2020 at 09:32.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There used to be an old plugin/script for AVISynth that could do that for you, called Pantarheon, I think. Not sure if it is compatible w current versions, though. Regardless, it is something you should be able to manually script.

Jagabo is right, there is no way to get back to original full color on your pairs. Grayscale is easier, especially if the original was prepped properly.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. http://www.pantarheon.org/AviSynth3DToolbox/

The Pantarheon 3D AviSynth Toolbox not only lets you combine two videos into one 3D video, it also makes it possible for you yo extract the left or the right view from anything created with the Basic Functions into a 2D video. Note I only mentioned the Basic Functions, but not anaglyphs. That is because the anaglyphs do not have enough of the original video data available to reconstruct the left and right originals.
    Anaglyphs made from black-and-white (greyscale) sources can easily be converted the the original left and right views:

Code:
    WhateverSource("red-cyan.ext")
    left = ShowRed().GreyScale()
    right =ShowGreen().GreyScale() # or ShowBlue().GreyScale()
    return(left) # or right
    With "color" anaglyphs only the red channel from the left view is available, only the green and blue channels from the right view are available.

Red/cyan is the most common form of anaglyph but there are many other color combinations too.
    Last edited by jagabo; 11th Sep 2020 at 16:25.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the help guys! Not getting the original color makes a lot of since. The video is from Captain EO ride that was at Disney's Epcot I found a rare 3D version that is higher res and was hoping to separate the 3D fields. Here is a clip of the video as requested https://www.dropbox.com/s/q61980zy17kc6sw/Captain%20EO%20-%20HD.mkv?dl=0
    Quote Quote  
  6. First of all, that video may be 1280x720 but it's obviously upscaled from some lower resolution. If you have a 2d DVD of the same video you could upscale that and it would probably look much better.

That video has also been too badly abused. The colors of the two views have been temporally blended together. It has probably been through a field blended NTSC to PAL conversion and then blend deinterlaced. It doesn't even look significantly 3d with anaglyph glasses.

As a reference here's the sample of the file you provided:
    [Attachment 54885 - Click to enlarge]

And a similar frame from a normal 2d youtube video:
    [Attachment 54886 - Click to enlarge]

Here are some things you can try:

You could just convert it to Greyscale()
    Code:
    LWLibavVideoSource("Captain EO - HD.mkv") 
    GreyScale()
    [Attachment 54882 - Click to enlarge]

Of course, the result is a greyscale video. But at least all the annoying colors are gone.

You could just remove the red channel leaving green and blue. With a normal color anaglyph you would be left with only the right view, but with just shades of cyan:
    Code:
    ConvertToRGB(matrix="rec709")
    RGBAdjust(r=0)
    [Attachment 54881 - Click to enlarge]

To get some whites back you could substitute a copy of the green channel for the red channel:
    Code:
    R = ShowGreen() # substitute greens for reds
    G = ShowGreen()
    B = ShowBlue()
    MergeRGB(R,G,B)
    [Attachment 54883 - Click to enlarge]

Maybe try to bring out more color by manipulating the substituted red channel:
    Code:
    R = ShowGreen().RGBAdjust(rg=1.3, gg=1.3, bg=1.3)
    G = ShowGreen()
    B = ShowBlue()
    MergeRGB(R,G,B)
    [Attachment 54884 - Click to enlarge]

No great solutions here though.

If this really is sharper than other versions of the video you can try using the chroma channels from the other versions with the luma of this version. Getting everything sync'd and aligned may be difficult though.
    Last edited by jagabo; 12th Sep 2020 at 08:37.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks Jagabo, as usual this is a very informative response. Thank you for taking the time to explain your different methods. These are similar to some of the tests I ran and confirms and further explains the problems I was having. I very much appreciate it!
    Quote Quote