VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there any program that will simply rip the audio from video, losslessly?

For years I used 'FreeVideotomp3Converter', assuming it was ripping the audio (I had it set to "original quality) but then to my horror I found out it was re-encoding audio - even changing the codec from AAC to mp3! What a piece of junk!

I've also just tried 'Pazera', but this program does the same - re-encodes rather than ripping the original audio file.

Is there anything that simply RIPS the original audio?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Pretty much every video muxing/demuxing tool can extract the audio without reencoding. MkvToolNix, MkvExtractGUI, VLC, ffmpeg,..
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Open the file with Avidemux
    Audio (at the top) / save audio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gameshow Host View Post
    Is there any program that will simply rip the audio from video, losslessly?

For years I used 'FreeVideotomp3Converter', assuming it was ripping the audio (I had it set to "original quality) but then to my horror I found out it was re-encoding audio - even changing the codec from AAC to mp3! What a piece of junk!

I've also just tried 'Pazera', but this program does the same - re-encodes rather than ripping the original audio file.

Is there anything that simply RIPS the original audio?
    Pazera Audio Extractor has an option to extract the original stream along with a multiple of options. It does not re-encode, unless you choose to do so!
    Quote Quote  
  5. A ffmpeg-based lossless demuxer GUI would be a good choice, if one exists. Avidemux may work (but it didn't auto-select the output extension in my test).
    - ffmpeg command-line will transcode based on output extension by default !
    - mkvtoolnix GUI wants to extract to .mka
    - MkvExtractGUI only accepts .mkv input
    - VLC has many issues including this one: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/398562-Will-I-be-able-to-save-this-corrupted-MKV-f...-sad-history-(
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Open the file with Avidemux
    Audio (at the top) / save audio
    Perfect! I already had Avidemux and this worked beautifully and simply!

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by azmoth View Post
    Pazera Audio Extractor has an option to extract the original stream along with a multiple of options. It does not re-encode, unless you choose to do so!
    In that case, it is most unfortunate that this option is hidden away in menus and the interface makes no mention of extraction. There really ought to be a nice big button for this, and it should be the default setting, since most people would surely want to extract rather than convert.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by azmoth View Post
    In that case, it is most unfortunate that this option is hidden away in menus and the interface makes no mention of extraction. There really ought to be a nice big button for this, and it should be the default setting, since most people would surely want to extract rather than convert.
    It's there, just have to look for it as there are a ton of audio choices in the menu itself on the right hand side of the tool. Keep moving down the audio menu, you'll find it. Very useful option.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by azmoth View Post
    Um, no. Most will convert the audio.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Gameshow Host View Post
    What's your output container of choice (AVI, MKV, MP4 etc). AAC in an AVI isn't well supported by hardware players.
    Quote Quote