VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone using a vpn that doesn't leak dns info?I was using Privatevpn but has leaks that show in dnsleak test.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mullvad

AirVPN

ExpressVPN

I personally can highly recommend Mullvad, as they also have Wireguard Server this means that I can nearly use all of my 1Gbps connection.
    Quote Quote  
  3. More importantly, you want one that doesn't leak your personal information or logs ; )

I have tried them all, and for the last 3 years I have settled with NordVPN. Included in their basic package is 'Double VPN' too.

ExpressVPN comes a close second.

If you want a free solution whatever you do DO NOT use Hola.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your suggestions,i decided i will try nordvpn.I will never try a free vpn.
    Last edited by johns0; 11th Sep 2020 at 12:41. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just signed up with nordvpn and did all the leak tests and it only showed what i wanted to be shown.In other words much better than the previous vpns i signed up with.
    Last edited by johns0; 11th Sep 2020 at 12:41. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In this regard, Nord VPN has proven itself very well.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Here is an link that says you don't need a VPN anymore.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/xgxnwk/you-probably-dont-need-a-vpn
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    So people can get netflix and other services from countries they don't live in?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yes johns0, that would be a good reason to have a VPN.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by ShaoCan View Post
    nowadays, it's rare to find people who don't use a VPN
    If you're definition of "rare" is about 75 percent.
    Last edited by jagabo; 3rd Dec 2021 at 20:34. Reason: fixed quote
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would say it's rare to find experienced users here not to have a vpn.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I would recommend ExpressVPN primarily for their customer service.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Haven't adequately run tests like johns0 mentioned, but I've used Private Internet Access and Perfect Privacy VPNs. They seemed to have major benefits otherwise, whether in the UI's ease of use, features, or company policies. PIA is the much lower cost of these two. Perfect Privacy was said to run from Ramdisks, in a way that any record of usage / traffic ceased to exist after every 90 minutes. (The "No Logs" policy has generally been considered to be an essential key feature for these VPN services.) But I guess I should still run those tests. What would you use for testing purposes ?

I've seen articles and videos claiming that -- as far as anonymity and personal concealment goes -- the whole VPN thing is illusory, if not an outright scam. Due to ways someone could "fingerprint" your hardware or other telltale usage traces. So I dunno . . . but still think that good even if partial protection has to be better than none at all.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Nowadays it's hard to find a good VPS service.
    Quote Quote  
  15. don't pay for any vpn, it's wasted money and it doesn't guarantee privacy. Mozilla vpn records connection logs and converses them, in my opinion if you want to use a vpn you should make it with your own hands, either with docker and wireguard or by using directly Wireguard ( wireguard.com ) project. Wireguard is free and without monthly costs or another projects such as zerotier.com and tailscale.com. In many Linux distributions, wireguard is included in their repositories and can be installed without any problems.
    Quote Quote  
  16. bomurzynski
    The benefits of using a platform with a simple graphical user interface can't be overstated. Imagine you had to manually type in every single command to perform a web hosting task. It would be very tedious and time-consuming, right? Luckily, the ability to automate web hosting tasks via a simple graphical user interface is available today. You can use a windows vps server to make your life easier. The ability to automate web hosting tasks via a simple graphical user interface will help you minimize the number of manual commands you have to enter.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Perhaps this link will offer some insights:
    https://torrentfreak.com/best-vpn-anonymous-no-logging/
    Quote Quote  
  18. Hi

I came across a video on YT not long ago in regards to the following VPN

https://www.mysteriumvpn.com/
    https://www.mysteriumvpn.com/blog
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Moralez View Post
    Perhaps this link will offer some insights:
    https://torrentfreak.com/best-vpn-anonymous-no-logging/
    That's been a good (and quite lengthy) reference starting point for a long time. Just keep in mind that some of their advertisers are featured prominently, and take that into consideration. I've also looked at reviews in places like CNET, PC Mag, and Tom's Hardware. I think the prospects and the utility of the top commercial services are notably better than the way mindphasar paints them as being, but you don't want to overestimate them either.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  20. This guy seems to know his onions about VPN's
    https://youtu.be/FMScV1Mkaok
    How to Make Your Own VPN (And Why You Would Want to)
    https://youtu.be/gxpX_mubz2A
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtUl7BfCNMY
    Quote Quote  
  21. Hello, dear all.

So people can get netflix and other services from countries they don't live in?
    I pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime. Nord VPN allow access this sites without any geographic restrictions? eg: living in Brazil, using Nord VPN can I access videos / movies from Germany, Japan or USA content?

Nord VPN can handle to access some restricted areas, like Russia, China and similar places too?

This VPN is easy to use? I mean, does recquire any complicated settings to make it work safely / properly?

Thanks for your time.

Best regards.
    Quote Quote  
  22. VPN Recommendation can be difficult because there are so many features and options to take into account. I've put up a list of the best VPNs based on a variety of factors to help you narrow down your options. But First, Taking into account when selecting a VPN:
    Cost: When making your choice, take your needs and budget into account.
    Speed: Your internet connection shouldn't be considerably slowed down by a reliable VPN. Seek for VPNs with a sizable server network and positive user feedback on performance.
    Security: Select a VPN with a no-logs policy and robust encryption protocols (AES-256 is the industry standard).
    Features: A few VPNs come with extra features like split tunneling, kill-switch, malware protection, and ad blocking. Choose the features that are most important to you.
    Simplicity of use: Seek out a VPN with an easy-to-use interface and strong customer service.

Top VPNs in 2024:
    ExpressVPN
    PureVPN
    NordVPN
    SurfShark
    CyberGhost
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No question re posting to this "old thread", as this is an important topic, and one for which the conditions and details keep changing. So this is an update to my post in #13 above. Even though I had a year left to run on my subscription, I ceased using Private Internet Access (which still comes in for frequent mention in one's internet travels) after learning that it had been acquired by a data mining company, casting doubt on their integrity. No major loss, as I still have and still like Perfect Privacy VPN. (At least until and unless anything untoward might surface about them.) And I much preferred their user interface anyway.

Keep in mind that the free VPN feature offered in browsers like Opera are not the real deal, and their use or reliance on them should be avoided. The choice of browser matters as well. I was forced to roll back my version of Opera, which had been my primary browser, after it underwent a hideous redesign, morphing into "Opera One." Ugh ! Lately I am trying out Vivaldi, which continues much of the older design of Opera in its UI, but with added control features and more locked down security / privacy features. I'll also be testing LibreWolf, said to be 2nd. best in the latter departments -- only trailing Mullvad for those, but Mullvad sounds like it would be too restrictive and too techie for me.
    Last edited by Seeker47; 4th Jan 2024 at 12:59.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Keep in mind that the free VPN feature offered in browsers like Opera are not the real deal, and their use or reliance on them should be avoided. The choice of browser matters as well. I was forced to roll back my version of Opera, which had been my primary browser, after it underwent a hideous redesign, morphing into "Opera One." Ugh ! Lately I am trying out Vivaldi, which continues much of the older design of Opera in its UI, but with added control features and more locked down security / privacy features. I'll also be testing LibreWolf, said to be 2nd. best in the latter departments -- only trailing Mullvad for those, but Mullvad sounds like it would be too restrictive and too techie for me.
    What about this one iTop Private Browser? i tried it some, not to use the VPN, it is an real nice browser in many ways, i think i did see an free vpn thing in it!
    Last edited by Swedaniel; 4th Jan 2024 at 14:34.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Swedaniel View Post
    ]

What about this one iTop Private Browser? i tried it some, not to use the VPN, it is an real nice browser in many ways, i think i did see an free vpn thing in it!
    That's one I had not heard of.

I have to fall back on a comment that has been applied to Windows itself: When a major significant item like this is free (as I think at least the base version of Win 10 was for awhile upon its introduction) the customer becomes the payment. Meaning that they commoditize you, harvesting the hell out of your information, your user behavior, where you go, what you buy, etc. Which is why I've tried to minimize that as much as I could, using O&O ShutUp 10, and avoiding use of the built-in Edge browser. I suspect this principle will apply to a lot of the "free" VPNs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    free VPN = not a VPN at all
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    ]

I have to fall back on a comment that has been applied to Windows itself: When a major significant item like this is free (as I think at least the base version of Win 10 was for awhile upon its introduction) the customer becomes the payment. Meaning that they commoditize you, harvesting the hell out of your information, your user behavior, where you go, what you buy, etc. Which is why I've tried to minimize that as much as I could, using O&O ShutUp 10, and avoiding use of the built-in Edge browser. I suspect this principle will apply to a lot of the "free" VPNs.
    Then maybe you will be interested in KeyScrambler by QFX Software, it got key stroke profiling protection, kernel based keystroke encryption for typed info into web browsers, all automatic from system tray! it is free to use with the web browser protection, anti-key stroke profiling protection and space key encryption, if want theese functions for normal programs allso must upgrade! KeyScrambler Personal is the free version, no registration required and no internet connection required to complete the installation or get the program going, it is avalible for Win XP and up to Win 11, 64bit and 32bit!
    Quote Quote  
  28. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Still with nordvpn,can't believe that people say that vpn aren't worth it and to make their own.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ]

Then maybe you will be interested in KeyScrambler by QFX Software, it got key stroke profiling protection, kernel based keystroke encryption for typed info into web browsers, all automatic from system tray! it is free to use with the web browser protection, anti-key stroke profiling protection and space key encryption, if want theese functions for normal programs allso must upgrade! KeyScrambler Personal is the free version, no registration required and no internet connection required to complete the installation or get the program going, it is avalible for Win XP and up to Win 11, 64bit and 32bit!
    Thanks for that tip, will keep it in mind for the future. But I never do any online banking from computer or cell, nor much else that way that I consider to have major security concerns. A little paranoia goes a long way . . . . If someone really wants to intercept things I type at places like here, I'd say "Fine. Knock yourself out."
    Quote Quote