VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a Liteon LVW-5045 DVD recorder and I have a problem with it.

While it was recording it now seems to stop after about 15 minutes so I can't reliably create a recording now. I deleted all the recordings, as they were no longer needed. I don't know if it's the hard drive that is playing up and if it is that is easy to replace. Any advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards
    Dave
    Quote Quote  
  2. Real easy to replace, the challenge will be to find an IDEE hardrive. Set the HDD jumper at "cable select" install and with the remote, go through the ERASE HDD process which is the way to format the HDD in the 5045. It will only format up to 160 GB.
    Quote Quote  
  3. After reading your post more attentively, try the ERASE HDD first to see if it will reformat your current HDD properly.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
    Real easy to replace, the challenge will be to find an IDEE hardrive. Set the HDD jumper at "cable select" install and with the remote, go through the ERASE HDD process which is the way to format the HDD in the 5045. It will only format up to 160 GB.
    Thanks for your advice. So do you think it's a problem with the hard drive? It's not a problem to obtain an IDE drive because I have one from an old computer that is no longer used. I hope it is only that and not a problem with the Liteon unit. I'll replace the drive and format it as you suggest.

I also saw your follow up remark, but I think I'll go ahead and replace the drive this evening. I'll set the jumper to whatever the one is from the unit and I'll let you know how it goes.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I just changed the hard drive. Should it have been erased first? It ad been used on a computer with Windows.
    When I turned it on the greeting "Hello" was displayed for several minutes and then it said :

Action failed. Please consult our customer service for recovery. Error code 0x810d0004

I tried to select ERASE HDD and that failed. It first said erasing and 0% but didn't move and then it said failed.
    Should I delete the data and the Windows partition?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    OK better progress... When I checked I realised I must have pulled the IDE cable off the motherboard! I double checked and tried again and I have erased it which as you said has formatted the drive. Fortunately it is a 160gb hard drive as well, which is convenient. I tested a recording and again it turned off after 40 minutes.

So I guess it's not a hard drive problem. Any other ideas or suggestions would be welcome.
    Last edited by dbr97; 5th Sep 2020 at 15:05.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Now I have more information. I watched when I restarted the recording, within a couple of minutes it displayed a message saying "PROTECTED CONTENT. STOPPING". All I'm trying to do is transfer a recording from a VHS tape which was recorded with a camcorder. I'm not trying to record anything copy protected.

[Attachment 54776 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quite possible that the vhs signal/recording is weak and producing a fake macrovision signal to the recorder.

To ensure that it is not the recorder itself you should try another tape. If you have some commercial ones, UK releases rarely had mv.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Quite possible that the vhs signal/recording is weak and producing a fake macrovision signal to the recorder.

To ensure that it is not the recorder itself you should try another tape. If you have some commercial ones, UK releases rarely had mv.

I do have other tapes, but this is the one I need to do. I need it on the hard drive and then I plan to get it on my laptop to create an MP4..
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dbr97 View Post

I do have other tapes, but this is the one I need to do. I need it on the hard drive and then I plan to get it on my laptop to create an MP4..
    what is the HDD formatted as, FAT32 or NTFS ??

also what is the firmware version ?? - https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/196685-LiteON-LVW-5045-new-firmware
    Last edited by october262; 5th Sep 2020 at 16:58.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post

what is the HDD formatted as, FAT32 or NTFS ??

also what is the firmware version ?? - https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/196685-LiteON-LVW-5045-new-firmware

It was a hard drive from a PC running Windows. Not certain what it was formatted as, but on the Liteon it was suggested I run the option to erase files which I understood would format it for use with the Liteon and it did work, but only recorded for 40 minutes.

Regarding the Firmware number I looked at the various menus but couldn't see a firmware number mentioned. Where can I find the firmware version?
    What I can say is I have had it for many years and I have never made any changes and until recently it has been working ok.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

I understand what you say but you also have to establish if there is a fault somewhere. Have you actually transferred from VHS to the hard drive before ?

But surely since you want to get this tape on to your laptop you hardly need to go to the trouble of putting the recording onto the hdd. Just do a standard VHS capture.
    Quote Quote  
  13. The format doesn't matter after you've used the ERASE function within the Liteon. It is now formatted to work in the Liteon. Press SETUP on remote and at the bottom of the screen you should see the SN number, the third set of four digits is the FW version. If you are the initial owner/user of the 5045, look for a sticker in the back. The FW version will be either 191 (oldest) could be 193, 201 or 204 (last). The Liteon recorders and their clones all have a sensitivity to pick up false copyright macrovision signals even on homemade tape recordings. You will need to find the hacked version of the firmware, burn it to disc, not drag and drop but actually written to a single fresh cd. I only have the US version of the hack. I do have the hack for the 5045 GDL UK model, however, not for the older 5045.
    Last edited by CrazyCanuck; 5th Sep 2020 at 18:12. Reason: FW info
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM

I understand what you say but you also have to establish if there is a fault somewhere. Have you actually transferred from VHS to the hard drive before ?

But surely since you want to get this tape on to your laptop you hardly need to go to the trouble of putting the recording onto the hdd. Just do a standard VHS capture.
    Yes I have transferred lots of VHS tapes using this method. It is a lengthy process, but it worked for me. I don't know about a standard VHS capture, so perhaps I should investigate that option instead.

This is how I usually do it:
    1. Play VHS tape and record on Liteon
    2. Take out hard drive
    3. Insert drive into caddy and copy folders to my laptop
    4. Import files into Photoshop Premiere
    5. Edit and save as MP4 files

Is doing a VHS Capture easier?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    The format doesn't matter after you've used the ERASE function within the Liteon. It is now formatted to work in the Liteon. Press SETUP on remote and at the bottom of the screen you should see the SN number, the third set of four digits is the FW version. If you are the initial owner/user of the 5045, look for a sticker in the back. The FW version will be either 191 (oldest) could be 193, 201 or 204 (last). The Liteon recorders and their clones all have a sensitivity to pick up false copyright macrovision signals even on homemade tape recordings. You will need to find the hacked version of the firmware, burn it to disc, not drag and drop but actually written to a single fresh cd. I only have the US version of the hack. I do have the hack for the 5045 GDL UK model, however, not for the older 5045.
    Thanks for clarifying the point about the hard drive. That has been replaced and reformatted, although it wasn't necessary as the issue still remains, but at least we have eliminated that. The actual model number is LVW-5045B and there isn't a firmware number on any labels on the back of the unit. On the serial number sticker is says the Manufactured date was April 2005.

Pressing setup, the details on the screen are... The third set of four digits says 0196, so is that the firmware number?
    [Attachment 54783 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Yes I have transferred lots of VHS tapes using this method. It is a lengthy process, but it worked for me. I don't know about a standard VHS capture, so perhaps I should investigate that option instead.

2. Take out hard drive

Well I am somewhat surprised that your workflow works. HDDs in dvd-recorders typically are formatted in schemes that PCs do not directly recognise.

There are hundreds of topics on here about standard VHS capture. Is it easier ? Yes !! And do it properly you will have better quality to start with.

In fact with your method you could skip the 'Take out hard drive' bit and dub to dvd from the hdd and import that in your laptop (assuming it has a dvd drive)

But you do have a problem with this tape. There is no guarantee that even standard VHS capture will not choke if you have a weak signal tape to start with - I have seen this.

Our friend in this topic clearly has knowledge about this recorder. But even if you find it, or think your find it, a modified firmware can cause even more issues. At the very worse it can kill your recorder completely.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I had a couple of Liteon non-HDD DVD Recorders (LV5006?) back in the day - very happy with both of them. It just got harder to find compatible DVD drives to go into them.

A couple of long-shot suggestions . . . try a bit of switch cleaner on all your cable connections as the slightest bit of oxidation etc. can cause problems. The other thought I had is that my Liteons were both fairly temperature sensitive, and if you've still got original exhaust fans etc. . . ? I always raised my recorders, either by putting taller rubber feet on the bottom of the box, or a couple of empty CD boxes under the existing feet. The extra air-gap under the recorders solved all my overheating issues. You might want to try with the top off [the recorder! ] and maybe a fan blowing into the case?

The other thing, if it cuts off after 40 mins or so, can you not rewind the tape a bit and restart the recording and then join the segments when you're processing them in the PC? (I know this doesn't sort out the problem, but it sounds like there might be time issue with this video?)

Let us know how you get on. Good luck!
    "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
    Quote Quote  
  18. Yes, the 0196 is the firmware version for your UK model. If you look at the first 3-digit sequence in the parenthesis (200) the "2" represents the region, UK being region 2. If you want to change it to region free (0) you can do it via your remote. For your info, the fourth series of digits "B20B" is the firmware version on the disc drive.
    1- press SETUP
    2- scroll down to the EXIT icon at the bottom and stay there (highlighted)
    3- on your remote, press 2960 and it will open up the hidden region menu
    4- choose "REGION FREE"
    5- to get out of the menu cursor left until you're out.
    6 press SETUP again and you will notice the digits will show "000". The second "0" in that group is the copyright indicator with "0" being copyright on, if you were to apply the hack. that digit would change to "1" meaning copyright disabled.

User of the US models, I've got 2 5045s and 4 of its downsized clone (ILO HD04 80GB) which were produced by Liteon for Walmart in the US. All of them have now the hacked firmware version. The hack version I have on the Liteon 5045,
    1- disables the copyright flagging,
    2- drops the region code by 1 (in the US that drops it to "0" region free, in the UK, you might need to use the remote to drop the region to "0" as the hack would drop it from 2 to 1.
    3- allows a bigger HDD, up to 500 GB.

The hack version I have on the ILO HD04,
    2- drops the region code by 1 setting it at "0".
    4- adds the LP (3 hours) setting for recordings as it is not available on the official ILO.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Found an older version of the hack here (no large HDD hack). This is where I used to get my hacks until I got the "larger HDD" hacks. Actually, this was the source for the user who was adding the larger HDD hack to these hacks. The UK file is an upgrade to 204, plus the copyright hack. It will drop the region code by 1 so do the remote process to go to region free after the hack applied, if you go that route.

http://www.ss3f.com/ilo/index.htm
    Last edited by CrazyCanuck; 6th Sep 2020 at 11:03. Reason: add url
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM

2. Take out hard drive

Well I am somewhat surprised that your workflow works. HDDs in dvd-recorders typically are formatted in schemes that PCs do not directly recognise.

There are hundreds of topics on here about standard VHS capture. Is it easier ? Yes !! And do it properly you will have better quality to start with.

In fact with your method you could skip the 'Take out hard drive' bit and dub to dvd from the hdd and import that in your laptop (assuming it has a dvd drive)

But you do have a problem with this tape. There is no guarantee that even standard VHS capture will not choke if you have a weak signal tape to start with - I have seen this.

Our friend in this topic clearly has knowledge about this recorder. But even if you find it, or think your find it, a modified firmware can cause even more issues. At the very worse it can kill your recorder completely.

Yes the drive can be read by inserting it in a caddy and then into the USB port on my laptop and it always worked fine over the years. The approach was:

Look for folder LITEON_VID\HDD_VID\AM_00001 and the folders in that were all the recordings where folder names were MV_00001 onwards. I then find the folder CONTENT01.VOB and the files in there were named CONTENT01, CONTENT02 etc. I renamed the extensions so it became CONTENT01.VOB and then imported into Photoshop Premiere and it worked well.

Having said that if I can find a simplified version which also improves quality as you suggest then that is worth considering.

On the other point about making changes, I'm willing to try that and if it works then that's great. If however it doesn't then that's no big deal, it was worth trying. I'd just evict it and find the other solution you suggest
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    I had a couple of Liteon non-HDD DVD Recorders (LV5006?) back in the day - very happy with both of them. It just got harder to find compatible DVD drives to go into them.

A couple of long-shot suggestions . . . try a bit of switch cleaner on all your cable connections as the slightest bit of oxidation etc. can cause problems. The other thought I had is that my Liteons were both fairly temperature sensitive, and if you've still got original exhaust fans etc. . . ? I always raised my recorders, either by putting taller rubber feet on the bottom of the box, or a couple of empty CD boxes under the existing feet. The extra air-gap under the recorders solved all my overheating issues. You might want to try with the top off [the recorder! ] and maybe a fan blowing into the case?

The other thing, if it cuts off after 40 mins or so, can you not rewind the tape a bit and restart the recording and then join the segments when you're processing them in the PC? (I know this doesn't sort out the problem, but it sounds like there might be time issue with this video?)

Let us know how you get on. Good luck!
    Thanks for your suggestions. I usually have the top of the casing off and just resting on the top rather than screwed down, but that was just to ensure my cats didn't look inside and touch anything!

I guess there could be something wrong with the recording, but it certainly looks ok when it is played. I'll try the changes that have been suggested and see how that goes...
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, the 0196 is the firmware version for your UK model. If you look at the first 3-digit sequence in the parenthesis (200) the "2" represents the region, UK being region 2. If you want to change it to region free (0) you can do it via your remote. For your info, the fourth series of digits "B20B" is the firmware version on the disc drive.
    1- press SETUP
    2- scroll down to the EXIT icon at the bottom and stay there (highlighted)
    3- on your remote, press 2960 and it will open up the hidden region menu
    4- choose "REGION FREE"
    5- to get out of the menu cursor left until you're out.
    6 press SETUP again and you will notice the digits will show "000". The second "0" in that group is the copyright indicator with "0" being copyright on, if you were to apply the hack. that digit would change to "1" meaning copyright disabled.

User of the US models, I've got 2 5045s and 4 of its downsized clone (ILO HD04 80GB) which were produced by Liteon for Walmart in the US. All of them have now the hacked firmware version. The hack version I have on the Liteon 5045,
    2- drops the region code by 1 (in the US that drops it to "0" region free, in the UK, you might need to use the remote to drop the region to "0" as the hack would drop it from 2 to 1.

The hack version I have on the ILO HD04,
    2- drops the region code by 1 setting it at "0".
    4- adds the LP (3 hours) setting for recordings as it is not available on the official ILO.
    OK I followed your instructions and now instead of 200 I changed it to REGION FREE and the code says 000

You mentioned that the second digit of the 000 is the copyright disabled. How do I change that from 000 to 010?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Some dvd recorder brands / models overdrive their copyguard detection circuits, often locking out legit camcorder personal videos: unfortunately your Lite On appears to be one of those units. Ordinarily the only workaround is to purchase a (now insanely expensive) outboard Time Base Corrector (TBC) box and connect it between VCR and recorder. Or, if you could still find one, one of the millions of "little black boxes" people used to use between VCRs to copy rental tapes. Either box type will patch over the signal glitches in the tape that are triggering the false copyguard detection in the recorder.

In this case however, you caught a huge break in having Crazy Canuck see your post and reply with the firmware solution. If you can get that installed properly, it will cure the problem at the source (which always results in a better copy than patching thru additional hardware: I for one have never been the least bit thrilled with the fuzz-and-murk-inducing TBCs that are considered so "essential" by many enthusiasts here).

If you are happy with the results you are getting from your workflow, theres no need to change it. The key advantage that made Lite Ons esp popular in Europe was this unique HDD file compatibility with PCs. While it is true capturing direct to a PC can (sometimes, not always) lead to notably better quality and more versatile files, it isn't nearly as easy, cheap and idiot proof as your "Lite On HDD in a USB sled" routine. Just tracking down a good PC video input encoding accessory can give you lifelong migraines, and finding a properly-functional TBC required to go with it is even harder. Thats before factoring in the thorny "theres no point in even bothering with this route unless you get a super duper deeluxxee long-discontinued premium VCR" rabbit hole, learning tricky software like VirtualDub, etc, etc, etc until your brain and wallet burst into flames from the stress.

Your "recorder HDD to PC workflow" normally starts and ends in its native MPEG format, however. It is a little surprising that you're getting adequate MP4 files from that setup: most of us find recorder MPEGs made from VHS sources do not convert well at all to other compressed formats like MP4. Those interested primarily in MP4 or MKV final files do tend to grit their teeth and plow thru the tedious PC lossless capture workflow instead. Either your copy of Premiere has a magical ability to create decent MP4s from VHS MPEGs, or it just works better from a PAL tape source. American NTSC VHS>MPEG>MP4 conversion usually looks pretty dire.
    Last edited by orsetto; 6th Sep 2020 at 12:32.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    Some dvd recorder brands / models overdrive their copyguard detection circuits, often locking out legit camcorder personal videos: unfortunately your Lite On appears to be one of those units. Ordinarily the only workaround is to purchase a (now insanely expensive) outboard Time Base Corrector (TBC) box and connect it between VCR and recorder. Or, if you could still find one, one of the millions of "little black boxes" people used to use between VCRs to copy rental tapes. Either box type will patch over the signal glitches in the tape that are triggering the false copyguard detection in the recorder.

In this case however, you caught a huge break in having Crazy Canuck see your post and reply with the firmware solution. If you can get that installed properly, it will cure the problem at the source (which always results in a better copy than patching thru additional hardware: I for one have never been the least bit thrilled with the fuzz-and-murk-inducing TBCs that are considered so "essential" by many enthusiasts here).

If you are happy with the results you are getting from your workflow, theres no need to change it. The key advantage that made Lite Ons esp popular in Europe was this unique HDD file compatibility with PCs. While it is true capturing direct to a PC can (sometimes, not always) lead to notably better quality and more versatile files, it isn't nearly as easy, cheap and idiot proof as your "Lite On HDD in a USB sled" routine. Just tracking down a good PC video input encoding accessory can give you lifelong migraines, and finding a properly-functional TBC required to go with it is even harder. Thats before factoring in the thorny "theres no point in even bothering with this route unless you get a super duper deeluxxee long-discontinued premium VCR" rabbit hole, learning tricky software like VirtualDub, etc, etc, etc until your brain and wallet burst into flames from the stress.

Your "recorder HDD to PC workflow" normally starts and ends in its native MPEG format, however. It is a little surprising that you're getting adequate MP4 files from that setup: most of us find recorder MPEGs made from VHS sources do not convert well at all to other compressed formats like MP4. Those interested primarily in MP4 or MKV final files do tend to grit their teeth and plow thru the tedious PC lossless capture workflow instead. Either your copy of Premiere has a magical ability to create decent MP4s from VHS MPEGs, or it just works better from a PAL tape source. American NTSC VHS>MPEG>MP4 conversion usually looks pretty dire.
    The MP4 quality is acceptable, but that is probably due to Photoshop Premiere producing the MP4 fies. That is very good software. I import the VOB files, then edit and sometimes create DVDs from them and the final step is to export the file to MP4. It's also worth pointing out that these are recording made with a VHS camcorder in the 1980s and 1990s, so the quality matches that which is acceptable.

The requirement to overcome the copy protection is to hopefully enable me to make a 3 hour recording of the VHS tape and then I'll be able to edit the bits where the picture rolls etc. I have no need to do anything other than home videos.

Anyway it's nice to share thoughts with enthusiasts like yourself. the point is from my point of view I learn more by getting something wrong rather than it working first time, because one doesn't learn anything that way. Having said that, I'm just keen to get the job done now
    Quote Quote  
  25. Unfortunately no hidden menu for the copyright flag. Only applying the hack will change that flag.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    Unfortunately no hidden menu for the copyright flag. Only applying the hack will change that flag.

OK I understand, I found the notes on it so I'll have a go and see what it does...
    Last edited by dbr97; 6th Sep 2020 at 14:14.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    Oh dear. I think I have messed it up.

I tried to follow the instructions. It said to go to setup screen and do a system restore/reset, which is what I did. It asked if I wanted to restore to the defaults and I selected yes. When it restarted the screen display is flashing and instead of displaying the setup page it flashes on and off but the text on the screen isn't stable.

That doesn't look good at all...
    Quote Quote  
  28. I'd suggest to reload the disc and redo the update.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    I'd suggest to reload the disc and redo the update.
    Unfortunately it won't start now. It didn't attempt to load the CD either. it was selecting restore to defaults that did it.
    Oh well, it was worth a try. I was optimistic and you and others had been so helpful. Despite this I'm really grateful for your kind offer to help.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search PM
    Realistically, the Liteon unit was 15 years old, so it's no big deal.
    Quote Quote