VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and copy Ultra HD Blu-rays and DVDs! Or rip iTunes movies and music! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 91 to 100 of 100
Thread
  1. Right now, I feel God awful to have provided you with this firmware. For now I say let the unit unplug for a while, like overnight. I'm kind of hoping that it will give the drive a break. I'm looking for other options and also the official, unhacked 0197 UK firmware in order to flash it back and once done, flash it with the hacked one to bring you back to where we were. I'll be checking/providing further info ASAP.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    London
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
    Right now, I feel God awful to have provided you with this firmware. For now I say let the unit unplug for a while, like overnight. I'm kind of hoping that it will give the drive a break. I'm looking for other options and also the official, unhacked 0197 UK firmware in order to flash it back and once done, flash it with the hacked one to bring you back to where we were. I'll be checking/providing further info ASAP.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it? Had I left it powered up and working, but with that error message, perhaps I could have tried installing the previous version. I didn't think this would happen, but it's a good note of caution for anyone else. The other thought that has occurred to me is the 204 hack only provided the option to put a larger hard drive, but the 160gb wasn't such a limitation on reflection. So I went for this hack just so I can say it's the latest version. I didn't anticipate this would bite us.

    I have unplugged it and will leave it overnight as you suggest. If we can get it back to 0197 I'll be happy.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    I have been reading these latest exchanges with a little interest.


    I wonder if some 'double jeopardy' is at play. The hack does include, unless it is different to the one you already used, the ability to make the drive region free. What if the hack really was working and since it already found the drive was region free so it had nowhere to go.


    Same with the other site, where you got the original hack from, that hack serves to reduce the region count by 1 so Region 2 initially becomes Region 1. Another adjustemt then makes the drive Region Free. But you can not use those hacks since a reduction of 1 from 0 attempts an invalid number of -1.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    London
    Search PM
    OK we are back in business!!! I'm delighted and relieved to say it's now working again and back on 0197 with the Region Free change.

    I created a new CD with the 0197 hack on it. I turned it on, then put the CD in, closed the CD tray, then turned off and unplugged the power cable. When I turned on again it displayed the "F 0197" message and reapplied the hack. It then said "Done". I turned off and then on again and voila!! It's working again Region Free on 0197.

    Now I'm going to leave it alone and not make any further changes. To be honest, limiting to just 160gb isn't a big deal for me, especially as I was starting to think it had reached the end of its life.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    London
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I have been reading these latest exchanges with a little interest.


    I wonder if some 'double jeopardy' is at play. The hack does include, unless it is different to the one you already used, the ability to make the drive region free. What if the hack really was working and since it already found the drive was region free so it had nowhere to go.


    Same with the other site, where you got the original hack from, that hack serves to reduce the region count by 1 so Region 2 initially becomes Region 1. Another adjustemt then makes the drive Region Free. But you can not use those hacks since a reduction of 1 from 0 attempts an invalid number of -1.
    What you suggest could be plausible. I don't know why the 204 hack didn't work, but now I'm not worried about that. At least it's working again.

    *phew*
    Quote Quote  
  6. Interesting, unfortunately I don't think dbr97 can access the setup menu, if he can, for sure I would change the region and try the firmware again. The next best thing might be to find the original unhacked version of the firmware, apply it then reinstall the hack firmware
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    London
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
    Interesting, unfortunately I don't think dbr97 can access the setup menu, if he can, for sure I would change the region and try the firmware again. The next best thing might be to find the original unhacked version of the firmware, apply it then reinstall the hack firmware
    Please look back at the message I posted a few minutes ago. It's working again. I reapplied the 0197 hack and then the Region change.
    Quote Quote  
  8. OK !!! Glad you got it working after the rest. I agree, leave it as is at hacked 0197 160GB. I just loaded the fridge with a few brews and will be having one later in relief !!! Just to let you know, I've changed all the disc drives in my Liteon/Ilo recorders with PC drives that are compatible (older Liteon and some Sony IDEE disc drives). A lot of dismantling, shaving some metal off with a Dremel tool, drilling holes in the bottom of the case for homemade drive brackets, reassembling etc... I've got one 5045 left to change the drive. A project for this winter. I'll be photo-documenting the process this time around. Once done, I'll start a new thread here explaining and attaching the photo files. Stay tuned !!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    What with a perceived shortage of toilet paper I am also glad to read you are 'relieved'


    There are so many tales of people 'bricking' their drives to get something that may work but not always guaranteed.


    If these latest posts have value it will be a warning like when I grew up with those Aesop fables. The one, if memory serves, of the dog and the bone comes to mind.
    Quote Quote  
  10. No shortage here, I'll be fine !!! As for the drive replacements I've done more than a dozen of them Liteon/Ilo recorders over the years as long as you test the drive first to ensure it's a compatible drive with the system. It has to be a drive from that era, and of course usually a Liteon PC drive or a rebadged Liteon drive, Sony had a few of them at the time which I've used. The dvd recorders in which I've change the drives in are:

    Liteon 5045 (3)
    Liteon 740 (1)
    Liteon 760 (2)
    Liteon 5007 (2)
    Ilo HD04 (6)
    Ilo R04 (3)
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads